• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Tennis Thread

No real surprise here but Murray announces he will retire after Wimbledon this year due to injury.
However he thinks he will play his last game during the Australian Open next week.

Gutting. A truly magnificent player who's had the misfortune of playing against three of the greatest sportsmen you're ever likely to see.

Yeah, gutted for him. There have been some truly memorable moments watching him play.

Awful news - but WHAT a player. His success at Wimbledon (and indeed the US Open and his gold medal in the Olympics) are right up there as my favourite sporting memories.

He's been a giant of the game in the greatest era the sport has ever known. As Nando said, if he wasn't playing in the same era as Djok, Federer and Nadal, he'd have won far more titles.

Absolutely gutted. Incredible player and a great guy.

Gutting. A truly magnificent player who's had the misfortune of playing against three of the greatest sportsmen you're ever likely to see.

I think that it enriched his career. Wins against Federer at the London Olympics and Djokovic in the US Open and Wimbledon finals just showed how Murray was a great too. The major final wins against Djokovic and the Olympic win against Del Potro were as good as any games I've seen or will likely to see.

Ah man. Why did I watch that presser? The poor guy.

Absolutely gutted. Loved watching Murray's career develop. In another era he would be sat on 8-10 majors. The commitment, drive and determination he has shown to get to Hole, Fed and Rafas level is a lesson all young sportsmen and women should learn from. Truly got the best out of his ability

Ah man. Why did I watch that presser? The poor guy.

I felt exactly the same.
What a sportsman. Lets not forget that he won 2 gold medals in the olympics. Plus he raised the UK Davis Cup team, and regularly spoke out on ethical issues, including equality.
Not just an exceptional sportsman, but a really good human being.

I think that it enriched his career. Wins against Federer at the London Olympics and Djokovic in the US Open and Wimbledon finals just showed how Murray was a great too. The major final wins against Djokovic and the Olympic win against Del Potro were as good as any games I've seen or will likely to see.
Oh I agree, 100%. He probably wouldn't have developed into the player he became without those three setting the bar at a quite ludicrous level. Nevertheless, the record books will show he's 'only' got three slams to his name when there are numerous players from other eras who've toppled that with ease (Hi, Pete).

Alan Brazil has made an arse out of himself effectively telling Andy Murray to man up

The hips might be failing but his determination isn't. After being two sets down he's into a fifth set against Agut in the Australian Open first round.

Nick Kyrgios covering himself in glory again today. Gets a game penalty for swearing, proceeds to smash his racket, throw a chair onto the court and then pick his bag up and forfeit. The guy seriously needs to get some help

Johanna Conta through to the semi finals at Roland Garros, and playing really well to do it. She has a chance here if she can maintain this form.

Followed it online. Sounds like she played the best she has in a long time. Definitely got a chance of winning

Followed it online. Sounds like she played the best she has in a long time. Definitely got a chance of winning

Considering she hadn't won in Paris before last week it is some achievement. Possibly in the form of her life after recently reaching the final in Monaco and Rome on the clay.

Back