• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Second Club Thread

Then they should be paid as such.

It's disgusting the crowds that college football gets and the players see nothing of that money.
In addition to 'free' schooling/education do some get paid? However unconventionally? There must be some kickbacks?

When PL academies sign the best talent here, especially when it's from rival academies, then the youngsters or their parents don't get paid. But it's amazing how many parents coincidentally move into nice new homes and get nice new jobs [that they don't actually attend] at the same time.

Thing is there isn't a connection between college and pro team, necessarily.

If you go to university in Texas then that has no bearing on whether the Dallas Cowboys will sign you. So who would be coughing up...

But surely the colleges that get 60k crowds generate income and the best players generate the best crowds. Or do the colleges get capacity crowds regardless of the quality of the team they field?

Take your point about the college and pro team having no correlation. That does kill the academy/looking after parents reasoning.

You'd have to ask Alan on whether the fans turn up regardless...my suspicion would be that they would, for the most part. A lot of them are in places where there isn't an NFL team anywhere near, so this is the real deal. Watch this or nothing.

Also the tribalism aspect that he mentioned earlier.

Players have been getting paid under-the-table for eons.

NIL is hardly a silver bullet, but we're at least now able to say "yes, players should earn money somehow". So that's a start.

But surely the colleges that get 60k crowds generate income and the best players generate the best crowds. Or do the colleges get capacity crowds regardless of the quality of the team they field?

Take your point about the college and pro team having no correlation. That does kill the academy/looking after parents reasoning.
By and large, if you're a university that fields a football team in the Bowl Division (think Premiership) or the Championship Division (think Championship, appropriately enough), you're generally bringing in enough butts to fill seats.

That, of course, is a sweeping generalization and you will find exceptions if you go looking. And, naturally, this doesn't mean that there is an equal playing field, financially speaking, for all schools in each division, or even within the same conference.

In addition to 'free' schooling/education do some get paid? However unconventionally? There must be some kickbacks?

When PL academies sign the best talent here, especially when it's from rival academies, then the youngsters or their parents don't get paid. But it's amazing how many parents coincidentally move into nice new homes and get nice new jobs [that they don't actually attend] at the same time.

They do. There's an unnamed High school QB who's been offered 15m for 3 years at a college program.

Thing is there isn't a connection between college and pro team, necessarily.

If you go to university in Texas then that has no bearing on whether the Dallas Cowboys will sign you. So who would be coughing up...
The University should pay them, commercial revenue through TV, sponsorship, endorsements and crowd money is huge.

Really, the universities and athletic programs need to be totally divested of each other, IMO.

The University should pay them, commercial revenue through TV, sponsorship, endorsements and crowd money is huge.
I don't know enough about the US education system to be honest, was just commenting on the PL Academy parallel.

If Man City tempt the best 10 year old kid (how the fuck do you even measure that) in the country to sign for them it's because they want him to play for their first team one day.

With a university, all your players leave in their early 20s, whether they're good or shite. But as I say, I wouldn't know about the finances.

Really, the universities and athletic programs need to be totally divested of each other, IMO. Will never happen because it's all built-in advertising for the schools.
I have no access to getting with the Uni's earning money and many survive on their athletic programs.

I have no access to getting with the Uni's earning money and many survive on their athletic programs.
Indeed. Precisely why the funds of the two shouldn't be intermingling.

Can't serve two masters.

Where the money then comes from for education, in this country? Who fucking knows. But it shouldn't be off the backs of the kids in uniform.

I don't know enough about the US education system to be honest, was just commenting on the PL Academy parallel.

If Man City tempt the best 10 year old kid (how the fuck do you even measure that) in the country to sign for them it's because they want him to play for their first team one day.

With a university, all your players leave in their early 20s, whether they're good or shite. But as I say, I wouldn't know about the finances.
Gotcha. Yes you're right, essentially the University has a player for 4 years tops. No contract just an education to cough up for in exchange.

Seems mad doesn't it?

Gotcha. Yes you're right, essentially the University has a player for 4 years tops. No contract just an education to cough up for in exchange.

Seems mad doesn't it?
I suppose they get the reputation to go along with it.

"Patrick Mahomes studied here, you should too".

The population of Boone more than doubled within a year of this. At the time, this would have been like AFC Wimbledon beating SAF Manchester United at Old Trafford.

That's my alma mater btw.

EDIT: Ah man, now I'm watching highlights and shit. What a day that was.
For anyone doing maths and realizing that I was 13 when this happened, my both of my sisters were enrolled at Appalachian at the time. So no bandwagoning here. ;)

Last edited:
A return to semi-sane tactics and a much, much needed win for Charlotte tonight, 1-2 away at Orlando City.

Reactions: b3h
Market Drayton facing up to the realities of where they are as they struggle to get players on a match day.
Could name just 2 subs yesterday, both used and 1 had to go in goal after the keeper was taken off after an hour with a head injury.

Anyways, full time

MDT 2 Uttoxeter 1

A day of celebration has been declared in the town. Free Gingerbread for everyone....

2 subs. Sunday league style! Have you brought your boots lino!?

Back