• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Lovely!

Avril Lavigne and Pink aren't all bad.

If you were to ask me, none of them are that bad. I was more amused by what the particular warehouse that packaged these chose to send me. One of these is not like the other...

Bought about 200 CD's off amazon yesterday.... This is the first shipment I got today. :icon_lol:

cdorder1.jpg

Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway is clearly the best in that lot :)

It's a gay video but a great song. I miss Silverchair.

It's a gay video but a great song. I miss Silverchair.

What the hell is that?

It sounds like Maroon 5 multiplied by The Hoosiers.

What happened to them? I loved Frogstomp and Freak Show. Great rock albums. This sounds like Eurovison, but diluted for children!

I stopped listening to them after Freakshow, not sure why cause I loved that album possibly more than Frogstomp. I regret not ever going to see them live. I remember when they played at the Wulfrun, a group of us waited at the side entrance all day in the pissing rain just to see if we could get on the guest list. We were there for hours waiting for their bus to turn up and when it did, they walked straight passed us and ignored our requests for free tickets! Barstools!

Still, this is an awesome tune -

Changing the topic....

Original vs Cover round 14

Machin, I loved Silverchairs first two albums as well but I guess, like any decent group, they matured and their sound evolved. You can't play the same grunge style rock music for 20 years - don't forget they started their band when they were 14! The same could be said for our favourite, Incubus. Listen to 'If Not Now, When?' and its a completely different band to 'Science'. You have to give their last two albums a bit of time but they do start to stick after a while. Whether you like the newer stuff or not, you can't argue they are talented musicians -

The thing with Incubus is that they matured in a way that they retained their interesting, intricate and eclectic edge whilst developing and maturing their style - a tricky balance that often descends into bland, over polished puddles of water, with no flavour, edge or idiosyncrasy. SCIENCE was raw and crazy (which is one of the reasons I love it so much), but they became a fuller sounding, cohesive band whilst retaining the subtle nuances and change-ups that kept them individual and original. (At least up until Crow Left of the Murder - I stopped listening after that, not sure why)

That first Silverchair song you posted suggested to me that they appeared to have slipped into the realms of sappy, middle of the road drivel that you can hear all day long on Radio 2. They seemed to have matured into a bunch of pussies! However, that second song was much better, although the "scream four times" stuff is cheesy and cringey and turns me off big time.

Maybe I should give their album a listen though. I had no idea they were still recording up until so recently. I'd heard that Daniel Johns had gotten arthritis in his hands and couldn't play anymore. Must've been bullshit.

Oh, and I used to have that guitar, in black. Loved it!

Reasons to be cheerful:

Frank Eddie releases a new single in March (although originally was going to be january, then next monday - hims a tease!)
Spiritualized have a new album Sweet Heart Sweet Light out in March.
Garbage have reformed, recorded a new album due for release in May.
Ulrich Schnauss has just released a new album with Mark Peters &solo album out in April.
& Sigur Ros are back together playing Bestival. Only UK date so far, hopefully they'll tour & release a new album next year. Absolutely amazing live band.

Back