• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

FFP is a great media line for a lot of teams at the moment. Easy story filler

"Long term interest"?

Can't say I recall him being linked to West Ham before.

"Long term interest"?

Can't say I recall him being linked to West Ham before.

Nor me, wasn’t it Spurs he was heavily linked to in the summer?

If we were going to cash in on Max for FFP we’d have done so five months ago as it all would have been pure profit. Instead we gave him a new deal and made him captain - definitely not happening.

West Ham were linked a season or so ago. In a "pick a team, pick a player throw it in to a story that has less than 1% of truth in it" kind of way

We won't sell in January but we continue to do what we are doing then I would expect bids in the summer. Potentially 3 big out goings then - Neto, Hwang and Max. The kind of window that could fund our dealings for the next 2 or 3 windows, presuming we are sticking to Fosun/Hobbs way rather than the Fosun/Jeff/Jorge way of course.

West Ham were linked a season or so ago. In a "pick a team, pick a player throw it in to a story that has less than 1% of truth in it" kind of way

We won't sell in January but we continue to do what we are doing then I would expect bids in the summer. Potentially 3 big out goings then - Neto, Hwang and Max. The kind of window that could fund our dealings for the next 2 or 3 windows, presuming we are sticking to Fosun/Hobbs way rather than the Fosun/Jeff/Jorge way of course.
I don’t personally see us selling Max or Hwang. Even with their new deals their wages won’t be extortionate, neither seem like the kind to kick up a fuss so are pretty low maintenance. Max has made it clear he wants to stay here & Hwang brings that interest from overseas that Fosun seem to desire so much.

Of course someone could offer us £40m for either and they’d be off, but I just don’t see it.

Neto will be the one that goes for the big bucks in the summer, I’d have thought. Then eventually Joao Gomes will go to a top 4 side for big money, but hopefully we’ll get to keep him for another year or two before that happens.

Nor me, wasn’t it Spurs he was heavily linked to in the summer?

If we were going to cash in on Max for FFP we’d have done so five months ago as it all would have been pure profit. Instead we gave him a new deal and made him captain - definitely not happening.
Maybe he didn’t want to go to Italy and nobody else would match their offer? New contract simply protects his value.

I don’t personally see us selling Max or Hwang. Even with their new deals their wages won’t be extortionate, neither seem like the kind to kick up a fuss so are pretty low maintenance. Max has made it clear he wants to stay here & Hwang brings that interest from overseas that Fosun seem to desire so much.

Of course someone could offer us £40m for either and they’d be off, but I just don’t see it.

Neto will be the one that goes for the big bucks in the summer, I’d have thought. Then eventually Joao Gomes will go to a top 4 side for big money, but hopefully we’ll get to keep him for another year or two before that happens.
Hwang would need a huge offer but don't under estimate how much teams will pay for someone who scores double figures in the PL
Every player has his price, so never say never.

Neto will be off if he stays fit for the rest of the season. Another longish lay off and clubs may walk away from what we ask for a player who has spent the best part of 3 years having treatment

I don't think Neto is the given he was a couple of months ago. If I were a team paying big money I'd want to structure the fee around appearances and if I were Wolves I wouldn't, so someone is going to have to back down to get a deal done

It's the main strategy!
If Neto stays fit, he'll go for the big bucks.
Max also likely to go to enable us to keep the incoming cash ticking over.
Hwang is currently looking the most sale-able of the rest. The only issue that "may" delay that is fosun being keen to have a south asian superstar on the books. So they have to either identify the next cab off the rank there, or sell Hwang.

I expect you're right, but this seems such a defeatist attitude from the club. We should be aiming to be one of the top 4 sides, or at least top 6/7, not selling the means to become one. Villa might just be a flash in this season's pan or they might manage to consolidate their position. Either way, you can see how it could be done.

I don't think Neto is the given he was a couple of months ago. If I were a team paying big money I'd want to structure the fee around appearances and if I were Wolves I wouldn't, so someone is going to have to back down to get a deal done
I see where you're coming from. Provided we manage his hamstring recovery well, and there is no downtime for him in the remainder of the season, then I feel we'd argue he's recovered etc..

I expect you're right, but this seems such a defeatist attitude from the club. We should be aiming to be one of the top 4 sides, or at least top 6/7, not selling the means to become one. Villa might just be a flash in this season's pan or they might manage to consolidate their position. Either way, you can see how it could be done.

We’re where we’re in the food chain unfortunately, just takes 1 very good season from some of your players before the super 6 start circling, players pretty much can force a move now also.

Great news for us, if that happens.

Can't see us selling Hwang or Kilman , either now or the Summer . Can't see Kilman wanting to leave either .

Neto - not half as attractive as he was given his injury record . He breaks down a lot , big clubs don't want that .

Neto - not half as attractive as he was given his injury record . He breaks down a lot , big clubs don't want that .
Yet is, last time I checked anyway, still top assister in the PL despite missing over a month of football.

He’ll end up at a champions league club one way or another, but I don’t think he’ll force a move which is good news for us (similar to Ruben).

Edit: just checked & Salah & Watkins both edged ahead of him with their assists at the weekend. Still, not bad company given how long he’s been out.

Can't see us selling Hwang or Kilman , either now or the Summer . Can't see Kilman wanting to leave either .

Two were serious impact injuries. If I was in charge of recruitment at a big club and he's firing like he was a couple of months ago, those two wouldn't bother me.

I was reading a thread dedicated to Neto on Man City's Blue Moon forum yesterday and many of them acknowledged that he was an excellent player but far too injury prone to risk signing

I said in the Everton verdict that Gomes will be high on Klopp’s wanted list. He’s perfect for the midfield role Liverpool play which is high intensity and doing the basics really well.

Back