• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "Grow Your Own" Thread

Sweating like a pig sorting out my flower beds this year. Weed central doesn't even cover it. I needed a fucking machete.

Weeded the veg patch a few weeks ago. Everywhere else has been turfed to avoid constant weeding!

Anyway, this weekend I repotted the sunflowers as they're getting big. Also repotted the 6 cauliflowers that have sprouted. And have repotted 9 cucumber plants.

This week I need to plant out some beetroots that are taking up greenhouse space, and also the first beans.

I sowed extra beans, as only a few have sprouted. Sowed some extra parsnips (meant to also sow leeks, but it appears I've used all the seeds!) Also sowed some delphiniums, as I found a pack of seeds unused in the garage.

Greenhouse is full, hence needing to plant stuff out.

Finally got around to planting out the beans and beetroot. Beans went out before all that rain, however it didn't do them any harm.

Have also dug up a fir tree, so planted some bulbs and grass seed where that was, and spent a fair bit of yesterday planting flowers in tubs, pots and hanging baskets for the wildlife.

Growing a load of strawberrys this year and that's it!

Raspberry canes went in last year so didn't expect anything - am this year as they are looking luxuriant

Broad beans doing well & potato plant with good growth above ground

Me Cherry Tomato plants are weighed down with ripe, ready to pick red ones. Lovely and sweet.

I love fresh cherry tomatoes straight off the vine That weird ripey tomatoey smell they give off. Just bursting with flavour.

I love fresh cherry tomatoes straight off the vine That weird ripey tomatoey smell they give off. Just bursting with flavour.

These are a bit on the smallish side but so sweet and tasty. Better than any shop bought toms. Just picked a dish full and keep eating them, aren't tomatoes good for the hair, as well as other health benefits, I think they are.

Raspberry canes went in last year so didn't expect anything - am this year as they are looking luxuriant

Broad beans doing well & potato plant with good growth above ground

my raspberries, blueberries, and especially the blackcurrant plants look like they will have a properly decent harvest this year. I can sense a crumble or 2!

Everything's struggling in this heat - despite copious watering.

Got some decent cherry tomatoes, but the broad beans died & the potatoes really haven't got to any real size before the foliage failed (they were OK - small but perfectly formed though not as good as they should have been)

Glad I didn't do much in the end. Strawberries are very much jed. Had some massive ones off just before the sun started at least. Come on, rain...

Everything's struggling in this heat - despite copious watering.

Got some decent cherry tomatoes, but the broad beans died & the potatoes really haven't got to any real size before the foliage failed (they were OK - small but perfectly formed though not as good as they should have been)

Me cherry tomatoes have done fantastic here this year, hundreds of the buggers. Made jars of spag bol sauce out of them, made few jars of Salsa,base for homemade pizzas, and oven roasted tomato jam, as well as picking them for salads. Bumper crops :)

Tomato jam? You mean ketchup?

43ACB1D8-7B0A-48A9-AB5F-0508014E54CB.jpg

My wife with a massive fruit :)

Last edited:
Just given the back lawn a 'haircut' - first in about 8 weeks

When I had time it was hot & it didn't grow - the last 2 weeks when it's gone berserk I haven't been around to deal with it so it's length was something a 1970's rock star would be proud of.

Only gave it a lighter trim than usual to not traumatise it & more importantly not burn the mower motor out!

Annoyingly will need doing again in a few days

Bump for the new season as real Spring has arrived in the West Country - reckon that it was somewhere between 17c & 19c today.

First cut on the lawns - t shirt weather (didn't go as far as shorts, though TBH I could have done)

Could have done it yesterday, but it was Sunday & couldn't be arsed. Staying like this till at least Thursday so tomorrow will deal with the veg beds to prepare them.

Back