• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

Better team won, best team in the tournament, could have been out of sight by 60 minutes.

It's part of a longer term pattern of Southgate though - that we were about to bring Trippier and fucking Gallagher on before the second goes in is damning. Right there and then he was declaring and hoping for penalties regardless of us *maybe* having an additional 30 minutes to play.

Didn't deserve to win and the right result. Outplayed for the majority and completely surrendered the initiative after we equalised.
That's the thing for me, the Palmer for Mainoo sub was all about scoring a goal, we did, then hand the initiative back. It needed to be shit or bust from there, but we were Southgated again

Best team won, but you can't play most of a final with only 10 men. Bye Gareth.
We made no effort to or seemed incapable of threatening them in any way. Just sat back but offered zero on the counter either. There seemed no plan how to score a goal. Our goal came purely from winning a 50:50 and then the resulting overload with Cucurella out of position. Even then it’s a good strike rather than well worked.

Last edited:
They are a very good side and the best team by a mile won. England got the equaliser and sat back. I get that Spain will have more of the ball but we then stopped offering any threat on the break whatsoever again.

Better team won some of our players allowed that game to pass them by. What the hell are we doing once we’ve equalised?
For me we could’ve done so much more tonight another huge let down being an England fan. Utterly devastated by that

It’s shit like this which gets me, glorying in failure like it’s the charge of the fucking light brigade.
Beaten by the better team, but not disgraced. In my whole life until 2018, I’d seen us in just one World Cup semi and one Euros semi. In the last 6 years, we’ve made two finals and a semi. One day we’ll win something, but I’m dead proud of them. Congratulations Spain. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇪🇸

That starting Spain team and, man for man, I’m taking Williams only. Probably Morata too as Gaz had to play some old knacker up front.

Edit - Rodri too probably

Shame. Spain were by far the best team throughout the tournament and beat a lot of big teams en route. Best team and deserved their win but when Palmer equalised it was ok to dream
That was the moment to seize the game. You have to make the most of your momentum but the reality is we weren't good enough to do so. We have some great young players so we have hope moving forward.

I don’t know who I’m more sick of hearing about Lamine Yamal or Luke Littler.

Best team won. Well done to all involved on another final appearance. Looks like we’re destined to be forever the bridesmaid.

Pretty gutting here in Berlin. The setup was OK and we won the main battle (wing-backs) in the first half, I was surprised by how well Luke Shaw did to start. That said, our aim was only ever to nullify Spain. In the second half Spain gained that edge we were lucky they didn't go out of sight. Kane looked so out of place, like Ronaldo.

Right changes made when losing to look for the goal but as soon as we scored lost all urgency. Really thought we would press on... disappointing.

Spain are the best side at the tournament, maybe the only good team. They deserve it. We played crap throughout, maybe with the exception of Netherlands, almost ground out a tournament win. Won't twist the knife but similar to my sentiments after the Switzerland game, I'm grateful to Southgate for restoring belief in the team and making me love supporting England but he has run out of ideas and taken us as far as he can. Spain and in the past Italy and Croatia have shown us how at international level a good coach can make a decisive impact. I know the FA have been trying to keep him on but he isn't an idiot and I like to think he knows it's time to change, best for everyone.

Back