• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF World XI thread (1986-present) - CENTRE FORWARD VOTING OPEN

I reckon he'll go Vincent Enyeama or Carlos Kameni.

Liking the Dasayev love, he was quality.

I was a bit of a goalie at the time so Dasayev stands out and only 7 so was probably quite impressionable. He's probably most famous these days for Van Basten making a mug out of him with that volley though. One of my nicknames at senior school was Baia but he'd probably struggle to make it into the top ten (despite a Champions League winning medal) in the last 30 years.

Baia was (IMO of course) absolute quality at his peak but had far too many years late on where he was a bit dodgy. Same as David Seaman.

Baia was (IMO of course) absolute quality at his peak but had far too many years late on where he was a bit dodgy. Same as David Seaman.

The move to Barca did him no favours as their team (never let Porto down in either spell) was pretty ropey at the time, but any keeper who has had Ruud Hesp picked over him (although it was Van Gaal) can't really make the list. Poborsky made a complete idiot out of him at Euro 96 too which didn't get his future Barca career any favours. He did play at Molineux though in that friendly in 98 which I was very happy to see.

Why 1986?

That means leaving loads of good keepers.

With this random date I will go

Buffon
Schmeichel
Southall

I am disappointed I can't pick Zoff or Maier though

31 years is more than long enough, greedy guts. When was your arbitrary cut off point going to be? Because there has to be one.

You aren't old enough to remember Sepp Maier anyway. He didn't play an international after 1979.

Why 1986?

That means leaving loads of good keepers.

With this random date I will go

Buffon
Schmeichel
Southall

I am disappointed I can't pick Zoff or Maier though

Nev is a good shout, top drawer in his day. Going back to the 60's (Banks) or 50's (Yashin) throws up all sorts of possibilities but not many go that far back (Zoff was 40 in 1970) especially with the lack of tv football in those times.

I'd love to say Matt Murray as he's probably the finest goalkeeper I've ever seen in the flesh, but obviously never tested at the highest level unfortunately (unlikely it would have been with us had he stayed fit).

31 years is more than long enough, greedy guts. When was your arbitrary cut off point going to be? Because there has to be one.

You aren't old enough to remember Sepp Maier anyway. He didn't play an international after 1979.

I watched the 1978 world cup dan, plus I had a massive Sepp Maier brochure sort of thing. It was probably adidas-related as I had the same for Bjorn Borg

Nev is a good shout, top drawer in his day. Going back to the 60's (Banks) or 50's (Yashin) throws up all sorts of possibilities but not many go that far back (Zoff was 40 in 1970) especially with the lack of tv football in those times.

I'd love to say Matt Murray as he's probably the finest goalkeeper I've ever seen in the flesh, but obviously never tested at the highest level unfortunately (unlikely it would have been with us had he stayed fit).

Zoff was 40 in 1982

Great idea!

Gianluigi Buffon (the man, the legend)
Peter Schmeichel
Oliver Kahn

It's quite awkward with this sort of thing, think it'll always favour players who have just or are about to retire as they've been able to build up a massive portfolio of their talent compared to those still relatively fresh on the scene. I really wanted to throw in someone different to those that had already been put out but I couldn't justfity someone like De Gea, Courtois or Oblak who're at the very top right now because the ones I picked had the same levels of performance but did it for twice as long as their current counterparts which tips things in their favour.

I am trying to be different but cant get past Schmeichel number one however Dasayev the Russian was almost his equal. Brilliant in the late 80s and considered by many as the best in the world at that time. The third place is another decent keeper who gets my vote not only for his keeping but his goal scoring record Jose Chilavert with 46 goals in 622 league games, 59 including cup matches and 8 goals for Paraguay! Scored more than some Wolves number nines lol!

Schmeichel
Southall
Shilton

Shilts will always be tarred with being outjumped by a 5 ft 5 Diego Maradona and then getting lobbed on his own goalline in Italia 90. Top goalie but went on too long. Not to mention his penalty saving attempts...

Shilts will always be tarred with being outjumped by a 5 ft 5 Diego Maradona and then getting lobbed on his own goalline in Italia 90. Top goalie but went on too long. Not to mention his penalty saving attempts...

Poland 1973 . A nine year old me watched him dive over one and we went out of the world cup.

Agreed. Pretty much got us through the Cameroon game though.

Poland 1973 . A nine year old me watched him dive over one and we went out of the world cup.

Before my time, but everyone knows that was a result of the "clown" at the other end of the pitch surely?

Back