• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

Only saw the England innings so can't comment on the bowling. Bairstow doing Bairstow things. Limited shot wise, archetypal flat track bully

Poor captaincy as well, putting jacks on second over and being smacked around for more than 20 an over.
Line and length of the bowling was all to pot first 5 overs especially.
I agree with @Deutsch Wolf wolf Bairstow and Jordan are way past their best.
I think the 2022 win was this sides last hooray.

I wouldn't criticise Buttler for that, very often it works and you get a quick over through for 5 and he doesn't bowl again. It didn't tonight

I disagree put pressure on early with your best bowlers.
That might be your view, but what Buttler did isn't unusual and isn't poor captaincy. We are a quick short though which will be a theme of the Summer.

That might be your view, but what Buttler did isn't unusual and isn't poor captaincy

Each to their own I just think it’s over thinking things, an early wicket or reducing them to -10 in the first 2 overs puts them on the back foot.

Each to their own I just think it’s over thinking things, an early wicket or reducing them to -10 in the first 2 overs puts them on the back foot.
As I said, when it works it works, when it doesn't it doesn't. Durham opened the bowling with a spinner against Warwickshire this afternoon and he took a wicket with his second legitimate ball and they went on to win

I get why we did it, two left handers in and the short side was hitting against the spin. Went terribly though

Archer usually has Warner on toast every time he bowls at him so I think it would have been a better option than a part time spinner.
Buttler said in his post match interview it was a gut call, fair enough.

Pakistan have been excellent with the ball

So Pakistan screwed it up.... they really are a mess.

Scotland smashing Oman so easily isn’t good for England

As we said after the Scotland game, as long as we don’t lose heavily to Australia we should be ok, so we went and lost heavily.
All we can hope is that we beat Namibia and Oman heavily and hope Australia aren’t in charity mode when they play Scotland.

Scotland NRR+2.164
England NRR -1.8

Two big wins should make that back up as long as Australia beat Scotland reasonably well.
Those first 5 overs Saturday is where it’ll come back and bite us I think.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Australia don’t try and win too easily against Scotland to try and knock us out - if they’re chasing 120 just take it easy and do it in 18 overs or something

Wouldn’t surprise me if Australia don’t try and win too easily against Scotland to try and knock us out - if they’re chasing 120 just take it easy and do it in 18 overs or something

They tried doing that to NZ in 1999, scored something like 12 off 10 overs chasing a tiny target vs West Indies (didn't work out in the end but they did have a go).

Can only do our own bit from here. For NRR purposes I guess we bat first if we have the choice in both games?

Back