• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Stats and Analysis Thread

I wouldn't disagree.

You won't go down on 40 points any time soon though and Fosun are happy enough with that (while charging prices apposite with a team on the outskirts of Champions League football)

I wouldn't disagree.

You won't go down on 40 points any time soon though and Fosun are happy enough with that (while charging prices apposite with a team on the outskirts of Champions League football)
giphy.gif

You won't though.

You haven't needed that many since we stayed up on 40 in 2010/11 IIRC. And before that it was 2002/03 when West Ham went down.

Just jokes.

We’ll probably scrape by roughly the same as last season, pending some sort of divine intervention in January.

Eventually your luck will run out and you won't get 40 points, in fact you won't get 35 and that'll be you done. And as I detailed a couple of weeks ago, we have a HUGE problem if that happens as we have a squad that will completely disappear, hardly any of them will play in the Championship. You'd be turning over 15-20 players in both directions in a single summer, easily.

I don't think it'll be this year though.

Not sure about that tbh

- If anyone thought we were getting anything at Arsenal, they need to go and see their GP immediately
- It's not a shock that we lost to Chelsea, the scale of the collapse after HT was shocking but it's been in the post for a while, we do allow a lot of clear chances, someone was going to take them one day
- A draw at Forest is par, it's what we've done in each of the previous two seasons and was about a fair result

We're not really behind where anyone should realistically expect us to be, except in the GD column.

Less about the results and more about last season’s issues continuing into this season.

Not really a distinction that's worth arguing over anyway, IMO (which I don't mean snidely). Regardless of what happens (short of 7 catastrophic first team injuries) I don't think we're looking at anything near 11/12's 25, for example.

Last edited:
Not sure about that tbh

- If anyone thought we were getting anything at Arsenal, they need to go and see their GP immediately
- It's not a shock that we lost to Chelsea, the scale of the collapse after HT was shocking but it's been in the post for a while, we do allow a lot of clear chances, someone was going to take them one day
- A draw at Forest is par, it's what we've done in each of the previous two seasons and was about a fair result

We're not really behind where anyone should realistically expect us to be, except in the GD column.
Chelsea haven't won either of their other games though, Palace's only point so far was against them. I think that's a massive red flag, particularly given the manner of the hammering.

Reserving any conclusion until after I've seen what we look like with Andre in the side, but the team we've seen so far aren't keeping many if any clean sheets. At the moment I think we're in a battle for the survival of the least shittest with Everton and the 3 promoted clubs which we'll probably win.

It’s a massive risk going with three very inexperienced CHs and one who is 34 and on the back of a pretty bad injury. Unless Andre is close to Makelele in that defensive role we’ll be having to score at least two goals to win most games. Only needs one of the promoted teams and Everton to be better than predicted and the height of our ambition will be 17th.

Chelsea haven't won either of their other games though, Palace's only point so far was against them. I think that's a massive red flag, particularly given the manner of the hammering.

Reserving any conclusion until after I've seen what we look like with Andre in the side, but the team we've seen so far aren't keeping many if any clean sheets. At the moment I think we're in a battle for the survival of the least shittest with Everton and the 3 promoted clubs which we'll probably win.
We are if we keep playing the same way but then I don't think GoN lasts past the end of September if we do.

At the moment he has a worse record than Lage and that isn't survivable as we've seen.

September

Sun 15th - Newcastle (H)
Tue 18th - Brighton (A, LC)
Sat 21st - Aston Villa (A)
Sat 28th - Liverpool (H)

October

Sat 5th - Brentford (A)
Sun 20th - Manchester City (H)
Sat 26th - Brighton (A)

September is premature I think but that's a nasty run and I think he needs to win at least two of those games (and ideally the League Cup wouldn't be one of them if we can only win two).

Would anyone be at all surprised if we got 0 points from that set of fixtures? We could get something from the Newcastle game, and maybe at Brentford, but I wouldn't expect it. We will be big underdogs in every one of those games, and justifiably so.

I think he'd be safe with any set of results, bar absolute hammerings until Palace on November 2nd. We haven't had a game yet or in that list that we should win. I think he's OK until we do with an on paper soft November to come

Would anyone be at all surprised if we got 0 points from that set of fixtures? We could get something from the Newcastle game, and maybe at Brentford, but I wouldn't expect it. We will be big underdogs in every one of those games, and justifiably so.
In isolation no, as a collective yes.

I think he'd be safe with any set of results, bar absolute hammerings until Palace on November 2nd. We haven't had a game yet or in that list that we should win. I think he's OK until we do with an on paper soft November to come

If we're on 1 point I think he'd go

I do not think we'll be on 1 point

I think we'll likely get 1 point from September, at home to Newcastle.

Back