• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Societal collapse?

SBS is good for cycling and some documentaries otherwise yep. ABC is uniformly dire

I think SBS has just gone down as they seem to be now taking a CNN feed. Better get it sorted before the cycling or I may have a tantrum.

Just done some very light reading on this.

It seems that lots of devices are now unusable and stuck in boot loops. So whilst services may be coming up there are probably millions of devices, VMs etc which are no longer usable and can't be fixed remotely as they can't even boot! And once devices are back up then we're into trying to fix all the data. This is going to require a huge amount of effort to clean up.

CrowdStrike shares down 20% today already

My daughter works in a Doctors and their system has been down all morning, she normally uploads any mail they recieve first thing and can't even do that today.

Mine have all been down. Bastards - I fucking hate golf and cricket

Card payment facilities at the Civic Centre Cafe are out of action this morning due to the worldwide Microsoft IT outages. Cash payments can be taken or alternatively staff can provide their council ID and pay on Monday or whenever systems are back up and running.

CrowdStrike Engineering has identified a content deployment related to this issue and reverted those changes.

Workaround Steps:

1. Boot Windows into Safe Mode or the Windows Recovery Environment
  2. Navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\CrowdStrike directory
  3. Locate the file matching “C-00000291*.sys”, and delete it.
  4. Boot the host normally.

Proceed with caution if the above means nothing to you..

Proceed with caution if the above means nothing to you..
Can't imagine many end users will be able to do that, but at least it's something.

I feel sorry for folk running databases on VMs. Just gotta hope they've got decent recovery plans!

Absolutely baffled by a reputable company doing a massive wholescale roll out of new code to every single one of their users rather a rolled staged roll-out as little every body else would do. They deserve to crash and burn.

A crappy knock-on effect has been idiots today saying "Cash is King" when that isn't what it fucking means you fool. It doesn't mean it's better to have £20 in your wallet than relying on a debit card.

The nutbars round here will love it. Telling everyone to empty the bank account and hold cash waiting for trump to walk over the pacific to save them

A crappy knock-on effect has been idiots today saying "Cash is King" when that isn't what it fucking means you fool. It doesn't mean it's better to have £20 in your wallet than relying on a debit card.
I've always assumed that any small business / sole trader who prefer cash over card is trying to dodge some tax.

Sure you pay a fee for it, but you don't have to count it all up and lug it all up the bank, who are probably gonna charge you to deposit anyway

The little town my lad lives in Fife has a number of shops and businesses and only the Coop, Garage and the vets accept card payments, everything else is cash only.

I've always assumed that any small business / sole trader who prefer cash over card is trying to dodge some tax.

Sure you pay a fee for it, but you don't have to count it all up and lug it all up the bank, who are probably gonna charge you to deposit anyway
"Cash is King" is (in simple terms) about the balance of capital, monies owed and fixed assets. So if my business has £500 in the bank, £50,000 owed on outstanding sales invoices, £20,000 owed on outstanding purchase invoices and a property worth £250,000, it's "worth" more than your business that has £50,000 in the bank, £5,000 owed on outstanding sales invoices, £1,000 owed on outstanding purchase invoices and a property worth £100,000. But most people would probably prefer your situation to mine, all things being equal. I would!

It isn't about taking/using bank notes rather than card payments. One of my petty annoyances :D

The little town my lad lives in Fife has a number of shops and businesses and only the Coop, Garage and the vets accept card payments, everything else is cash only.
Makes sense in a small village. Not enough custom to justify the card charges.

That used to being cashless it came as a surprise when I popped into a cafe near the windmills in Bruge and they only accepted cash!

Amazingly they let us leave to go on a 10 min walk to a cash point. Absolute trust there

(I must pop back in soon and pay that bill though)

Back