• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheffield United bulid up

Status
Not open for further replies.
we'd need to get into their penalty area for that

Not necessarily with the standard of refs in this league.

A shame the sending off happened so early and changed the game so much. We can't really gauge how we'd fare away against a decent side now. Very frustrating.

Whatever happens Coady has cost us here, our problem is we are so deep we are just inviting pressure. We need an option up top so where Leo getting nothing and there's no-one within a mile.

Cav in for Bonantini HT I think his pace on the break is the better option now.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Take N'Diaye/Neves off, push Saiss forward and put a forward back on. Personally thought Nuno would have just gone to four at he back and kept Costa on.
I was surprised he made the change so soon after the sending off, Jota wouldn't ideal as a conventional wide midfielder but 441 would be a fairly solid shape to resort to for a while and see how it goes. Now there aren't enough wide options to balance the side out.

Going down to 10 men shouldn't automatically mean they're camped in our half and getting chance after chance.
The in game management on the field has been poor since.

Gotta agree with this, if they were down to 10 I don't think it would be the same situation

441 sounds like the best option if they're attacking the flanks

Question...
As a defender if the forward turns and goes past you, should Coady have let him go and maybe Ruddy saves or it's a goal, but we still have 11 men on.

Any merit if Coady could have thought that fast?
Thoughts from you forwards and defenders out there?

With Costa not playing in 6 months it was the obvious sub to make so no issue with that. The issue I have is deciding we are going to defend our 18yd box for 75 mins. That is was a bizarre tactic and never has a goal been more inevitable

I was surprised he made the change so soon after the sending off, Jota wouldn't ideal as a conventional wide midfielder but 441 would be a fairly solid shape to resort to for a while and see how it goes. Now there aren't enough wide options to balance the side out.

That's what I thought too, Batth and Miranda can cope for a game at centre back together. Seemed a bit negative but hopefully we address it

Question...
As a defender if the forward turns and goes past you, should Coady have let him go and maybe Ruddy saves or it's a goal, but we still have 11 men on.

Any merit if Coady could have thought that fast?
Thoughts from you forwards and defenders out there?
its reactionary isn't it..even the best do it....
must say Fat Leon has upped his game since he left us...little lay offs, turns etc...

Half time.

First real test of Nuno's dedication to the 3-4-3 this season, I think. Reshuffling on the fly during the game clearly hasn't worked, the players don't really seem to be in the right places for the passing triangles we need and there's nobody up front to get the ball to stick to with Bonatini and Jota having to do so much defensively. Dropping Douglas and Doherty back into the full-back slots also means that we're playing incredibly narrow now, and we look very very vulnerable both to crosses and to set pieces from out wide (especially corners).

Not sure what to do to fix it, although just getting a breather for a few minutes now until the second half will be a big help. I think we can only really play some ultra-defensive counter stuff for the rest of the match. Get everyone very deep, two solid lines of four, and have our fastest attacker - Jota - tasked with being ready to break downfield as fast as possible either with the ball or onto long clearances. Then either hold the ball up until the others can catch up, or try and buy a foul, and make something from the set piece. The issue there though is that Jota's the only thing close to a winger left on the pitch and so playing that way leaves us with somebody in the middle having to shift out wide to try and offer some defensive help to the full-backs.

It's a bit of a mess, basically. A lot will depend on a) our stamina levels being better than theirs (Enobakhare will be perfect to bring on in the last 20 minutes, I think), and b) general resolve and determination. Both of those have been in good supply this season, we just need a little more.

its reactionary isn't it..even the best do it....
must say Fat Leon has upped his game since he left us...little lay offs, turns etc...
He used to try the lay offs at Wolves, they just never came off, the team was never set up to play that way but Jackett kept sticking big lads in at number 10 who wanted to play that sort of game.

I think Nuno's dropped a whole bag of bollocks here. Nevermind, there's always Saturday to bounce back.

Saiss in the Coady role then and Ruben and Alfred in midfield

Saiss in the Coady role then and Ruben and Alfred in midfield

Yeah, that might work. Need to get some width and if we can't play wingers in front of full-backs, then get back to a back three and let them be wing-backs again, accepting that our options up top will be limited.

I'd go leo for cav. Without runners off him, leo is a passenger. At least with jota and cav there's the ability to run with the ball, make some territory and take the pressure off or draw a foul.

Also think the change was rash. Should've given it ten minutes 441 and assessed things

Yeah, that might work. Need to get some width and if we can't play wingers in front of full-backs, then get back to a back three and let them be wing-backs again, accepting that our options up top will be limited.

I meant for Burton lol

I think Nuno's dropped a whole bag of bollocks here. Nevermind, there's always Saturday to bounce back.

Have to agree with this. First blot on Nuno's record for me. We've seen plenty of teams go down to 10 and remain competitive. We instantly hooked Costa and changed to some sort of formation that had us camped on the edge of our box and welcoming wave after wave of pressure. Never going to keep in the game like that.

Bright is coming on for Leo, to give us some pace up top, hopefully.

Coady has cost us, but Nuno hasn't helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back