• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

PNE 1-1 Wolves

I'm going next sat but it's going to be such an effort. Down Friday night, staying in a $#@! hotel then back up after the game. £150 all round trip I reckon for a game I could've watched on Sky. Buzzin.

What time train have you booked out on Sam?

I was out most of yesterday so just catching up on this. Yes it is disappointing that we did not make more of the chances we had, but at we got a point. Not great, but better than nothing. Plenty of work to do, but we can only improve, and will.

Still trying to process that result. Firstly, Preston were absolutely awful. Even before the first sending off, the number of times they shanked it out of play under no pressure at all was astounding, yet we found ourselves losing 1-0 and under the cosh in the first half, even after the red. We were utterly wank for a period after the red card up until half time and PNE actually looked the more likely to score. In the second half Price & McDonald got a grip of the game and we started to make our man advantage count. After the second red it was one way traffic and we missed several glaring chances to take an undeserved 3 points. I haven't looked at the stats yet but I think we had 4 shots on target (0 in the first half) which is just pathetic.

The first card I didn't think was a red at the time but looking back at the highlights it was deserved. Loose ball, Batth went for it with his head, Garner lead with his foot. Second came after a PNE corner, Iorfa was about to break up the pitch, Wright cynically hauled him down for a second yellow. Not sure what his first card was for. Really bizarre reaction from the PNE fans, referee wasn't bad at all yet they were reacting like he was Uriah Rennie. Actually quite funny to watch but quite cringeworthy from their point of view.

The two goals came after static defending and two long range hits. McDonald's was a superb strike, just passed it into the net. I thought our defending for their goal was quite weak, Hause & Golbourne not dealing with a long ball and then McDonald charging in to the tackle without thinking and not laying a finger on him. Might be a little harsh but definitely a preventable goal.

Martinez - 7 - Couldn't do much about their goal, took a fairly hefty deflection and flew into the corner. Other than that he didn't have many shots to save but he commands his area so well and plucked the ball out of the air several times. Quality keeper.

Iorfa - 6.5 - At times he was our only attacking threat and he was unbeatable in defence as per. He had a few very dodgy passes though and really should've scored at the death. Completely unmarked at the front post and his header went nowhere near.

Batth - 8 MOTM - Rock solid. Defended very well, made a few crucial tackles, passed the ball well and was unlucky not to score from a lovely back header in the second half. Went up front at the death and lead the line better than Afobe had all game. Good to have him back.

Hause - 6.5 - Looked like he was struggling to deal with Keane & Garner before the red card. After the red didn't have a great deal to do but brought the ball out of defence quite well.

Golbourne - 5 - When PNE went down to 10 men he was the free man on the left but he hardly had an impact on the game. He was unmarked pretty much the entire second half and did fuck all. Offers nothing going forward. After much dithering and making sure he'd exhausted every other option available to him he did actually cross the ball a few times but there was no quality on the delivery and PNE dealt with them easily.

Price - 6.5 - A dreadful first half where he looked slow and sloppy in possession but was probably our best player in the second. Seeing as it was his first league start I can forgive him the rustiness and look forward to seeing him & McDonald together again next week. Played one absolutely stunning pass to le Fondre in the second half which really should've been put in the back of the net. I think he's quality, the only player we have that knows exactly what he's going to do before he gets the ball.

McDonald - 7.5 - Anonymous in the first half but controlled the game in the second and the goal was stunning. Sprayed it around but there wasn't enough movement ahead of him and as a team we looked bereft of ideas, we needed someone to do something a bit different and he stepped up. Showed a lot more desire than we've seen from him so far this season.

van La Parra - 3 - Was he on the pitch? Running out of chances.

Wallace - 4 - He had one good shot in the second half when he'd been moved out wide but as a No.10 he was poor. There was no spark or touch of class that I was expecting from him. A very run of the mill player on that viewing, didn't look like he had it in him to unlock PNE's defence. Didn't really look to make the right runs, can't beat a player with pace or skill, very little understanding between him & Afobe... I dunno. I was seriously disappointed with him.

Henry - 4 - A lot of huff and puff but very little impact. Really disappointing as we know he's capable of much better.

Afobe - 4 - I'm getting a bit fed up of his body language. He looks like a stroppy little child. His finishing was dreadful, had two guilt edge chances in the second half and really should've won the game at 1-1. The ball came to him in the middle of the goal, he got there in front of his marker and ballooned it into the Wolves fans behind the goal. Really shit. I'd drop him for Fulham, Alfie showed much more than him.

le Fondre - 6 - Has more about his overall game than Afobe right now but still not having a massive impact. Made a few clever runs/passes but really should've scored from Price's chipped through ball. Also headed high & wide when in a great position from a set piece.

Ojo - 7.5 - First time I've seen him take his full back on. Beat his man time and time again and put in some nice crosses. One really nice bit of skill to go away from their right back. Unfortunately PNE had retreated into their own box by that time so nothing really came of them. I'd try him again vs Fulham.

Byrne - 5.5 - Didn't touch the ball for 10/15 minutes after he came on but once he got into the game he looked useful, nothing more than that though. Always tries to cross the ball with the outside of his right foot which is weird but it allows him to dig out a cross from tight spaces.

KJ - These are good players but they look like they've never played together before.

Fans were pretty quiet which was understandable considering the performance. Apathy starting to set in with some, anger with others. Lots of arguments in the stand prior to our equaliser.

Thanks for the report, Lycan. Hopefully the late goal can give us some kind of momentum, because things still look a bit desperate.

Thanks for the report Lycan. The most worrying comments are those about Afobe (although not new I'm afraid) and Wallace. Most including me thought he'd be our number 10 upgrade we've been crying out for...signs aren't good.

Too early to completely write off Wallace but he needs to show much better than that. Pretty uninspiring stuff from him yesterday.

I thought Wallace did okay.

For me, we were pretty much in control from the off, but wasted chances and never did anything great in the final third.

Their goal seemed to come from the first time they got in our half.

I am concerned about the lack of form that Afobe is in. What happened to last seasons player?

I thought Wallace did okay.

For me, we were pretty much in control from the off, but wasted chances and never did anything great in the final third.

Their goal seemed to come from the first time they got in our half.

I am concerned about the lack of form that Afobe is in. What happened to last seasons player?

Last season he was in a great trident with Sako and Dicko, that now has gone and he looks far more isolated. Though he says not, his head may have been turned by Premier League interest and now finds himself playing in a flat, uninspiring Wolves side that is struggling to make any kind of impression. In short, it's a bloody mess of our own making again

Looks like the transfer business may be subconsciously affecting Afobe. Maybe thinking to himself he made the wrong call or he's disappointed that we've gone backwards and he's stuck on board.

I'm not sure how we've managed to go backwards so quickly. Whether it be the board, KJ or KT. Someone has ballsed up. A simple replacement for Sako, they didn't have to be that good, just a left sided player! Instead We didn't sign one and the KJ has tried tinkering around with everything and now we have lost a style of play altogether! Even when we revert to 4321 we are useless.

Wallace had virtually no pre-season. He's not going to waltz in and light it up. Not exactly the best time for him to be brought in either seeing how poor we are. He needs time.

Wallace had virtually no pre-season. He's not going to waltz in and light it up. Not exactly the best time for him to be brought in either seeing how poor we are. He needs time.

+1 to that.

Most worrying is how Afobe has gone from a £10m player to one worth 10% of that in a few weeks

You guys that went, I know you're all pissed off but I'm looking for some light at the end of the tunnel, were there any + points? did the back line look more solid/organised with Batth back? Do you think the poor midfield display and the introduction of Wallace at 10 just needs a bit of game time as this line-up/formation hasn't really been used up to yesterday?
C'mon throw us some crumb of comfort.

You guys that went, I know you're all pissed off but I'm looking for some light at the end of the tunnel, were there any + points? did the back line look more solid/organised with Batth back? Do you think the poor midfield display and the introduction of Wallace at 10 just needs a bit of game time as this line-up/formation hasn't really been used up to yesterday?

If nothing else at least you can say we're not Sunderland right now!

How did Wolves react after McDonald's goal? Honestly, something like that may be all that's needed to alter the mood.

How did Wolves react after McDonald's goal? Honestly, something like that may be all that's needed to alter the mood.

Looked very muted on the highlights. More 'fuck lets get back in position to try and win but it's too late'

Plus points were Martinez, Batth, Price, McDonald, Ojo.

Ojo showed a bit of what he must have in his locker for Liverpool to have him on their books. I have said it in the past and I still strongly believe football, alongside all other sports, is all about confidence. We are lacking it in droves at the moment as we obviously have the players to be competing at the top of the table. Maybe it's down to KJ playing players out of position and persisting with players who don't merit a start in the first 11. Yesterday, RVP apart, he started with arguably our strongest team available. On another day one of those chances we missed, Afobe, Alf, Iorfa, Batth (unlucky with flicked header) would have been on target and gone in.

If we start how we finished, albeit against 9 men, against Fulham maybe the confidence and goals will start to come back. I can't fathom out how we have turned into a shower of shite otherwise

+1 to that.

Most worrying is how Afobe has gone from a £10m player to one worth 10% of that in a few weeks

Suffering from a lack of creativity in midfield, him dropping deep and picking up the ball to make things happen will continue until we find that person behind that can pick up and move with the ball, and also move ahead of a striker. In recent years Colin Cameron was a prime example of that sort of person we need. Can Jed Wallace be that man, he better had because there is nobody else that is going to do it in the current squad.

Back