• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New Manager who should it be?

of who is available who would you want?

• Total voters
shouldn't we have a "not a clue" vote, because not surprisingly over here that's where I am.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Pearson was sacked none of the rest of his backroom team were.

An experienced manager comes in, holds the team together and they are top of the prem. How many of that back room team would follow Pearson to our car crash club from premiership leadership.

Pearson's success was as much about his team, as about him. Bring his team to Molineux; maybe - him on his own; absolutely not!!

Spot on Bertie; Craig Shakespeare, Mike Stowell and Steve Walsh all stayed when Pearson was booted. Can't see any of them leaving in a hurry!

Been busy at work... has he been sacked yet?

Nope, we are having a thread to discuss what was being discussed on at least 3 different ones anyway

Cheers TT. I noticed the board looks a tad untidy with all the various threads about the same subject!

If I could choose anyone it would be Pearson, I feel the team is too nice on the field and gets bullied by most teams. I think Pearson would inject some much needed grit and determination into the team, and his work off the field at Leicester is reaping rewards now. He should be able to do a job with our academy/facilities. I doubt we'll get him though as he is a big personality I doubt he will be a yes man and also would like some funding guarantees, that would involve Morgan shelling out. Saying that I still feel there is more potential to come out of the squad than we have shown this season. The addition of a centre back such as Williamson's calibre and maybe even a change of captain by a new manager are the main things that need to happen. One problem though someone has left their Jackett behind.

I would like an experienced guy in the Kenny Jackett mould above someone like Garry Monk who has a direct link to Steve Morgan rather than have to work within some type of committee.

If Kenny Jackett wouldn't want to supplement a coach such as Garry Monk I would look to the very clever, been there and done mostly everything experienced head that is Steve Coppell to oversea all things Wolves.
Steve Coppell for me offers that calm nature who would look at the structure and improve upon it. He knows the game inside out.

Interesting angle on Coppell but a horrifying thought. Coppell has been out of the game for years at management level and has acted as a DoF for his last two roles. I would suggest he's been done for a good while now.

I said in another thread that the club is almost certainly going to go for another Jackett type, so someone who's got a history of making the best of things with limited resources, working with younger players, and isn't a particularly glamorous or obvious appointment but would be seen as a safe pair of hands. I think Pearson would be a decent choice (even if he isn't great as a person), but he doesn't match the club's ethos.

Justin Edinburgh's an interesting one who would fit, I think. Could also be someone who's currently a coach at a Premier League team but looking for more responsibility. I'd bet money that we'll be generally underwhelmed by whoever gets picked.

We could try for Curbishley again? He might come now we've got more than 13 matches left.

Either change manager before the end of the year, or stick by him through to the end of the season. Don't repeat the McCarthy scenario to find that we do succumb to relegation (which wasn't even in my mind two weeks ago). Difficult time for anyone looking to come in with the ownership uncertainty though.

I'm not sure I see many good options around...would've liked to give Alex Rae a go but we're a bit late for him now. Garry Monk / Nigel Pearson have to be top of the list - although whether we are the top of theirs is another question. Alternatively take a punt on someone like Ally McCoist (garden leave has just finished), or perhaps it is finally time for Stuart Baxter... :p Either way, my point is the poll options are a bit lacking.

Given what's happening at Watford and Middlesborough it might be time to try overseas again.

A friend of mine is a big Leicester fan and just the other night we were talking along with a Leeds fan. He said that if he was the owner of Wolves or Leeds he would appoint Pearson in a heartbeat and give him 100% control and watch the success roll in, he really thinks that highly of him.

I trust him on football matters so sounds good to me!

When the time comes for KJ to leave Molineux, I think Chris Powell might be considered as his replacement. But we will probably end up with Holloway or Dickov...

Back