• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New Manager Search *BACK ON*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't be a season-long relegation battle, that's the thing. This squad is massively punching below its weight currently as the previous manager was about as much use in the dugout as a traffic cone.
We can’t score for toffee - he may be able to change that, but it’s difficult without a striker. Unless he changes it then we will sink like a stone.

So is McCarthy English as well then?

Ask Roy Keane 😉

I mean... Mick is English! I think being eligible to play for a country and your nationality aren't necessarily the same thing.

I'm born in Lichfield and had an Irish father so I could have played for the Republic (if I could play football...), but I'm not Irish.

We can’t score for toffee - he may be able to change that, but it’s difficult without a striker. Unless he changes it then we will sink like a stone.
Don't forget, we have a shit hot striker, he's just out sick at the moment....

I don’t think so. We would have signed Nunes, Guedes and Collins irrespective of Bruno Lage. I imagine the head coach has some say but they are in no way central to recruitment.

I think Beale seems the sort to want to have some say, or at least a constructive relationship with the recruitment team, if not final say.

Not just saying this cos he's managing there currently, but the odd Championship gem like Palace and WH have taken a punt on wouldn't go amiss now and then

"McCarthy, the son of an Irish-born father, Charlie, is an Irish citizen since birth"

I think it's fair to assume Beale would have more clout than Lage (ie more than none).

We know the players will be looking him up and speaking with their mates who have worked under him and getting the inside info.

I know we hate on the Lage but he does have a lot of players, now at huge clubs, who highly rate him and thank him for their career.

I know we hate on the Lage but he does have a lot of players, now at huge clubs, who highly rate him and thank him for their career.
Loads of players (not Teddy Sheringham) absolutely rave about Hoddle. Pretty much all the ones we've interviewed on the club podcast (again, not Vio Ganea) who were around when he was here reckon he was an incredible coach.

We know that training was crap under Lage, we know the football and results were dreadful and I'm not sure he's really any better of a person than Hoddle.

Think that's the difference between being a coach or number two and being the main man. Lage seemingly can't make the transition to the latter, and having no buffer above him probably exposed some personality, temperament and man-management flaws that escaped scrutiny in the junior role.

Same pitfall could await Beale too (being the boss different from being the 'one the players go to'). Seems he's initially done well at QPR, still a bit of a risk though

Think that's the difference between being a coach or number two and being the main man. Lage seemingly can't make the transition to the latter, and having no buffer above him probably exposed some personality, temperament and man-management flaws that escaped scrutiny in the junior role.

Same pitfall could await Beale too (being the boss different from being the 'one the players go to'. Seems he's initially done well at QPR, still a bit of a risk though
From that interview with emi Martinez it sounds like he was the de facto manager at villa, so it shouldn't be a new experience for him.

Even in the limited media focus he's had recently he's come across really well so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of an issue

From that interview with emi Martinez it sounds like he was the de facto manager at villa, so it shouldn't be a new experience for him.

Even in the limited media focus he's had recently he's come across really well so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of an issue

Oh I'm not overly concerned. Encouraged by what I'm seeing so far about him.

First time we've had a genuine up-and-coming manager since... McGhee?!?

Seems weird to think (his ginger wig confused matters) but Dave Jones was only 44 when we appointed him. He probably just about qualifies.

You had to say it!

I've already had the anxiety of thinking about us getting relegated and QPR getting promoted

Seems weird to think (his ginger wig confused matters) but Dave Jones was only 44 when we appointed him. He probably just about qualifies.

Yeah, he was pretty unsullied at the time, and technically still on an upward trajectory career-wise

I think Jeff is really going to have to sell the job to him, and I`m not sure he is capable (Jeff that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back