• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New 3 Year deal for.....

I've had a good think about this and I'm none the wiser. Baffling.

Congratulations Pilkoman

Doherty will be over the moan with that.

As for the rest of us, scratching our collective heads, it appears.

Purely for footballing reasons Matt Doherty should not have been offered a new contract. This season goes from bad to worse.

bye bye Iorfa in Jan??????

this extension has got another 'for footballing reasons' written all over it.

I'm sorry but WTF is going on? One year as back up maximum. We will sell Iorfa for sure right I'm going to pull the sheet off ny bed

We will sell Iorfa

If we don't go up (early season makes that look a tough ask) we will face a battle to keep hold of the likes of Iorfa. I don't think we will actively look to sell but once clubs start sniffing it is easy for a player to get unsettled and demand a move.

Going to be a big summer in 2016 for the club

It was supposed to be a big summer in 2015. We fucked that right up.

It was supposed to be a big summer in 2015. We fucked that right up.

Early indictations are of that, not helped by Moxey's "big money to replace Sako" comment which went against the building from our yoof mandate

We do have an issue of muddying our own waters when it comes to the fabled "Wolves Way" and seemingly panic ourselves away from the intended goal. I think Morgan's intentions are good but badly managed from those below him and it is probably time (well 2 or 3 years to late) to let Jez go and whoever replaces him, as long as he doesn't go down the golf buddy route again, comes in and looks at what Morgan wants and replace those who are not fit for purpose (I think KJ is btw, the issue seems to come from between him and Morgan)

Iorfa won't leave we are building a team of loyal, selfless players who are growing together and despite having the opportunity to further their careers professionally and financially elsewhere will stay with us until we get promoted with home grown talent that will make us a 21st Century version of Celtic '67

Can it really be that hard? It may be a tad simplistic but if I were in a position to ask the questions this is the type of conversation I would be having.

Dear Steve- where do you want me to take Wolves over the next thee years?
a. I want to be challenging for automatic promotion every year, play offs minimum and I want to be promoted to the premier league during the next v3 years of your contract.

How much money do I have to spend?

a.I will give a bank roll of 2-3 million per year but the club must be self sufficient during this 3 years.

Then Steve your ambition and investment are at odds. I will not be able to attract enough of the quality in depth for the sums you are looking to pay and the wage structure you wish to be enforced to make us realistic promotion contenders given the spending power and investment at a significant number of our rival clubs in this league.

a.Ok what do you suggest?

An annual transfer budget of 15-20 million with a wage cap of 50k per week but a good bonus system based on clean sheets and goals scored. I would also like to blood youth in cup runs.

a. That could mean a 60-100 million investment over the next 3 years with wages! Bloody hell I am not made of money

No Steve but the premier league is and will be for the next 5 years. When I get the team built I will get them promoted and I will then tap into 140 million a season. That would give you at least your money back at worst, if I do this sooner then you are in significant profit.

a. But what about our youth policy?
That is good too and I would bring suitable Youth team and u21 players into the first team squad but football has moved on so much and is now so financially driven I do need your initial backing to achieve this aim. I fear otherwise that we will be left behind.

Can you guarantee promotion?

No I cannot but I can guarantee that I will build a squad with capabilities to challenge while bringing on our own players and playing bin a style that appeals to our fans. We have a significant support in this league one of the top 5 supported clubs and this extra investment could herald a golden era and give us the chance to take our place amongst the premier league elite on a long term basis.But this commitment goes both ways. I am committed to the club, the fans are committed to the club and we need the owner to be committed to the club. The long term rewards will be huge. Your current net worth is 510 million and you are reported to be the 7th richest person in the West Midlands. The sums we are asking are not huge in comparison to your fortune and would give a big return financially and in community standing. You cant take it with you Steve.

There.... Thats what I would say if I had the power.

Last edited by a moderator:
'You can't take it with you' - there we have it. The mantra for sound business thinking.

Whatever money is available has to be spent wisely be it 2 or ten million there are no guarantees in football. We should have learnt that lesson.

Can it really be that hard? It may be a tad simplistic but if I were in a position to ask the questions this is the type of conversation I would be having.

Dear Steve- where do you want me to take Wolves over the next thee years?
a. I want to be challenging for automatic promotion every year, play offs minimum and I want to be promoted to the premier league during the next v3 years of your contract.

How much money do I have to spend?

a.I will give a bank roll of 2-3 million per year but the club must be self sufficient during this 3 years.

Then Steve your ambition and investment are at odds. I will not be able to attract enough of the quality in depth for the sums you are looking to pay and the wage structure you wish to be enforced to make us realistic promotion contenders given the spending power and investment at a significant number of our rival clubs in this league.

a.Ok what do you suggest?

An annual transfer budget of 15-20 million with a wage cap of 50k per week but a good bonus system based on clean sheets and goals scored. I would also like to blood youth in cup runs.

a. That could mean a 60-100 million investment over the next 3 years with wages! Bloody hell I am not made of money

No Steve but the premier league is and will be for the next 5 years. When I get the team built I will get them promoted and I will then tap into 140 million a season. That would give you at least your money back at worst, if I do this sooner then you are in significant profit.

a. But what about our youth policy?
That is good too and I would bring suitable Youth team and u21 players into the first team squad but football has moved on so much and is now so financially driven I do need your initial backing to achieve this aim. I fear otherwise that we will be left behind.

Can you guarantee promotion?

No I cannot but I can guarantee that I will build a squad with capabilities to challenge while bringing on our own players and playing bin a style that appeals to our fans. We have a significant support in this league one of the top 5 supported clubs and this extra investment could herald a golden era and give us the chance to take our place amongst the premier league elite on a long term basis.But this commitment goes both ways. I am committed to the club, the fans are committed to the club and we need the owner to be committed to the club. The long term rewards will be huge. Your current net worth is 510 million and you are reported to be the 7th richest person in the West Midlands. The sums we are asking are not huge in comparison to your fortune and would give a big return financially and in community standing. You cant take it with you Steve.

There.... Thats what I would say if I had the power.

I may claim an assist given todays news- If we get an Oligarch who says" premier league here we come" and gives the right answers as above please.

Back