• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lonners Or Ikeme Who should start v Villa?

Surely a new goalkeeper will be on the agenda in January. IKeme is ok but not nothing more.

It would take far more than a couple of saves in the Tinpot Trophy against Crewe to win Lonergan a place for me, the last act of our small time thinking under the former regime. I would love to see Emi brought back at some point who I think would be the ideal keeper to go with our new revolution

That would be a step up. Emi could do the job for a decade imho

That would be a step up. Emi could do the job for a decade imho

Now here I'm in agreement with you. Hopefully Emi was a KT signing and we can get him back in Jan.

As for the Villa game. Ikeme.

Being kicked in the bollocks is preferable to being shot.

Now here I'm in agreement with you. Hopefully Emi was a KT signing and we can get him back in Jan.

Trouble is we are where we are mate. Paddy's analogy made me laugh. Its spot on.

I got shot in the arse cheek once with a .22 pellet and I can confirm I'd rather be kicked in the bollocks.

Everyone knows I rate Ikeme more highly than most but I will say that if Preston can sign Anders Lindegaard, we can sign even better than that.

As I have said previously, we need an upgrade to the keepers we have at the moment.

Ikeme is an average keeper who is probably at his pinnacle playing in the Championship, but is the best keeper at the Club.
Lonergan has shown us already that he is not good enough now for the Championship, except as cover.

So if Ikeme is fit, then he should play against Villa.

In January, our first priority is a quality CB, but our second priority is a quality keeper.

The powers that be have decided that we no longer have 'emergency loans', starting this year.
The transitional arrangements they have put into place are pathetic:

"Clubs are permitted to sign a goalkeeper on a seven-day ‘emergency loan’ basis if they do not have a senior goalkeeper that has made five first-team apps."

....but better than nothing, so as Lonergan has made 3 appearances in the cups for us, we need to keep him on the bench as many times as we can until January.

I think that's five senior appearances full stop, not just for the current club. We wouldn't be allowed to sign a keeper on loan unless both Ikeme and Lonergan got injured/banned at the same time.

I think that's five senior appearances full stop, not just for the current club. We wouldn't be allowed to sign a keeper on loan unless both Ikeme and Lonergan got injured/banned at the same time.

I don't know what you mean. Surely Lonergan hasn't played for anyone else has he?

In his career. IE not being left with just callow kids is what matters.

Andy Lonergan has played over 300 league games. Doesn't matter if they were for Preston, Bolton, Fulham etc.

Oh, OK, I've just had a senior moment then and thought it just applied to this season. :)

i would start with another def as out goalie, couldnt be worse and he can score at corners..seriously we need a top goalie NOW, was hoping Martinez would be brought in but that train has passed..

Trust me Fred our keepers could be worse....a lot worse.

For starters we could have signed Brad Jones.

Trust me Fred our keepers could be worse....a lot worse.

For starters we could have signed Brad Jones.

Currently first choice for Feyenoord who have won eight out of eight in the Eredivisie and only conceded two goals along the way. Football is a strange game sometimes.

Fuck off!! I presume they have an awesome defensive unit.

Back