• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2023/24

Accrington literally play at the Wham Stadium. Use them for your hilarity :D

I also always had the sax opening to Careless Whisper playing in my head whenever I watched Marcos Alonso play for Chelsea.

wham.jpg

Wake me up next time Accrington are relevant and I'll be all over it. 😂

Celtic and Rangers winning the league 9 times in a row hadn't been done the first time they did it either.

Yep the Scottish and English premier leagues are just the same. Completely different dynamics in both leagues with 2 clubs way above and beyond the nearest rival no club outside the Old Firm has the league since 1985.

Yep the Scottish and English premier leagues are just the same. Completely different dynamics in both leagues with 2 clubs way above and beyond the nearest rival no club outside the Old Firm has the league since 1985.

Well the point was in answer to you suggesting 4 Championships in a row is a good thing as its "new".

Teams to win the league in the 1980s and 1990s:

Aston Villa (1 time flash in the pan)
Liverpool
Everton
Man Utd
Arsenal
Leeds (1 time flash in the pan)
Blackburn (1 time flash in the pan)

Teams to win the league in the 2000s, 2010s and 2020s:

Man Utd
Arsenal
Chelsea
Man City
Leicester (1 time flash in the pan)

Even though the game has massively moved on from when I started watching in the late 80s (bear in mind I don't remember Villa or Everton winning the league, I was 1 month old when Villa did, I am 43 now so not young at all), it's always been the same in my time. Liverpool walked to a load of titles in my early days and then United did the same, they were something like 15 points clear at Christmas one year.

I'd like to think we're better than harking back to an era that either never existed or is so long ago that it has no relevance whatsoever, because we know what people who do that when it comes to politics and society are like.

Also you now get less of the 80s/90s thing where Liverpool or United would just look at the teams below them and buy their best players. Teams have the financial strength now to tell them where to go.

I'd also add that in general, you have to be an *exceptional* side now to win the league. If you're not then you won't win. City haven't won one with fewer than 86 points.

Look at this nadir from the early 2000s.

United weren't even very good that year. Sheringham got 20+ goals in all competitions and no-one else even managed 15. In the league he got 15 and only Solskjaer (just) got into double figures alongside him. Still won it by 10 points. Third title in a row. Interested to hear how that was "better", and it's also nearly 25 years ago now so you can't even say it's "modern football".

You can make as many comparisons as you like. You won't find one where the same team has won 6 years out of 7 or 4 on the bounce. If you watch the game for the quality of the play or the skill of the players, or the reinvention of tactics from the manager then I can see how you'd admire City. That's secondary to me to competition and we are now in unprecedented times where that is concerned.

You won't find one where the same team has won 6 years out of 7
1996: Man Utd
1997: Man Utd
1998: Arsenal
1999: Man Utd
2000: Man Utd
2001: Man Utd
2002: Arsenal
2003: Man Utd

Is that really much better? United won 6 out of 8 (they'd won 2 of the 3 before that too) and Arsenal won the other 2 (then won another one).

If Pep left in the summer and City had a bit of a drop, ended on 80 points and Arsenal won the title with 90 points would that be better?

If Pep left in the summer and City had a bit of a drop, ended on 80 points and Arsenal won the title with 90 points would that be better?
As long as it's not Liverpool

Or Villa at this rate. Imagine it. Us scratting for points and Villa winning the league 😂

Back