• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

2 of your worst 5 managers of the last 45 years in the same season is some accomplishment
I hated 04/05 so much.

In my misguided youth I thought we'd rip the league apart with a combination of Cort/Camara/Miller up top. And the Nigerian colossus incoming in midfield. Lescott and Murray back.

Er, no. You know fuck all, youth. We were bloody awful.

I’d put him just below Lee - I never really warmed to grey Colin, he was a bit odd.
Lee sorted us out after McGhee had properly lost the plot. Unlucky not to make the playoffs.

Had to totally rebuild in 1999 and we were shite early on. But we only lost three at home all season. Two were right at the start, vs Walsall and Huddersfield. We played some really good stuff.

2000/01 was appalling and he had to go, but you can't play the same trick of selling your best players and refreshing forever. They're your best players for a reason.

He was alright.

I don't hate Zenga for the record. I only hate Saunders and Hoddle. I don't even hate McGhee.

Walt though is someone who on a personal and professional level should never have been associated with Wolverhampton Wanderers. So rubbish.

Entertaining though. How many Wolves managers can claim to have threatened to deck a goalkeeper from Burton Albion.

I didn't find it that entertaining. Another word that starts with e and ends in -ing, maybe.

I
Because he touches up barmaids. How many Wolves managers do you know who get barred from pubs? I know one.

Plus any man over 50 wearing ripped jeans is not to be trusted.
I was not aware of his extra curricular activities!

Remember a story about Walt getting banned from The Crown for trying to fight the doormen after they refused him entry in his trackies and trainers. Not heard the barmaid one but certainly wouldn't surprise me.

I liked Walt (liked him as Italy GK back in his playing days) though I was very disappointed that day he jumped right up the odds for next Wolves manager after KJ had left after the links with Lopetegui and Silva.

Better keeper than Nuno but not a better manager

I wonder how Marcal would look as the left sided CB in a back 4 alongside Boly? He can play there in a three.
About as good as he looks in the treatment room, I'd guess.

Well he only got the gig due to the FL dragging their feet on Fosun and KJ was essentially a dead man walking. A week earlier and things would have been very different indeed

Remember a story about Walt getting banned from The Crown for trying to fight the doormen after they refused him entry in his trackies and trainers. Not heard the barmaid one but certainly wouldn't surprise me.

I liked Walt (liked him as Italy GK back in his playing days) though I was very disappointed that day he jumped right up the odds for next Wolves manager after KJ had left after the links with Lopetegui and Silva.

Better keeper than Nuno but not a better manager
Wasn't there some talk that Lopetegui had verbally agreed to take over here, and then Spain called?

Wasn't there some talk that Lopetegui had verbally agreed to take over here, and then Spain called?
He had. It was the FL delay in approving Fosun that ended that though.

Yes, Lopetegui has said it himself. I remember receiving the tweet confirming the takeover as I got off the castle ferry boat in Dartmouth and the news of JL taking the Spain job followed shortly afterwards. From memory Walt was announced on the Saturday morning following KJ's departure at about 23.12 on the Friday night and we had a friendly match against Sunderland or Southampton which Walt rocked up to

I remember KJ being sacked in the dead of night UK time and Zenga being appointed very quickly afterward.

I also remember everybody being very skeptical of the way he never seemed to stay at a club for more than a season. Something like 11 jobs in as many years? It was always a weird appointment, although I remember thinking Walt was at least saying the right things to the press.

Yes, Lopetegui has said it himself. I remember receiving the tweet confirming the takeover as I got off the castle ferry boat in Dartmouth and the news of JL taking the Spain job followed shortly afterwards. From memory Walt was announced on the Saturday morning following KJ's departure at about 23.12 on the Friday night and we had a friendly match against Sunderland or Southampton which Walt rocked up to
Swansea.

We all knew KJ was done and then he left Joe to sort the team out for a game at Northampton and was no where to be seen when new players started to arrive. Tim Spiers then had his breakdown and was convinced Jeff had called KJ at 11pm to fire him.

And he has had several jobs since leaving us too. Part of me admires his perseverance but then I wonder if its more about the payoffs helping to fund his millionaire lifestyle in Dubai!

I remember KJ being sacked in the dead of night UK time and Zenga being appointed very quickly afterward.
The announcement was late but in reality KJ had been gone for a few days.

The announcement was late but in reality KJ had been gone for a few days.
I think we knew that, but I also remember everyone's favorite journalist getting in a right twist about it.

Back