• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fosun Out

There's no good options out there. It's either evil oil states or dodgy American hedge fundy type stuff at the moment. The only hope is the Wrexham documentary makes it trendy to own a football team and run it purely for the good of the community. I'd imagine though we're more likely to see Chris Hemsworth running Accrington than Tom Cruise running Wolves.

Thing is I can cope with owners who can't/won't invest, providing the fans aren't paying champions league prices for survival ambition. If we're going to be a club that's just a yoyo with dreams that's fine as long as the fans are treated with the respect, and community feels a benefit.

They had it right in the months before Covid. We were loving the journey. Everything since has been a bag of fucking wank.

Thing is I can cope with owners who can't/won't invest, providing the fans aren't paying champions league prices for survival ambition. If we're going to be a club that's just a yoyo with dreams that's fine as long as the fans are treated with the respect, and community feels a benefit.
That's the thing for me, we are being run like an American sport style smaller franchise. Low expectations on the field/court/ice but charging premium prices because it's seen as being in the field of entertainment.
There's a number of flaws in that thinking, the most obvious of which is relegation.

Arguably we are the most successful. I know there was Roma and AC Milan, but they didn't match the successful prior eras really. We looked like "doing a Girona" (better examples exist but whatever) of trying to break out of a prior bracket of expectation. Turns out we were merely doing a Southampton or Swansea. Completed upon eventually return to the league below.

No. Not because of the companies but the individuals and governmental limitations.
WBA, Blues and Villa's owners did it because they thought it would put them in a good light with the Government and also a great way to use PL money to fund other things.

Fosun did the good light thing as well, especially as Guo was on close watch in China. I do genuinely believe though they like owning us but they have lost all grip on reality since western football was declared the devil back in Beijing.
Just wish they would see the Jeff error but they won't. As football is not like their other businesses the failures are hard for them to spot and we are left with Jeff doing a bad impression of a Chairman of a Football club who thinks he understands everything and just wants nodding dogs working beneath him.

It's a bit reductive to just say 'Chinese owners don't work', it's like saying 'English managers don't work, they all get sacked in the end'. The amount of clubs that have a seamless period of ownership with little or no setbacks or bad spells is vanishingly small. Irrespective of nationality.

We're struggling now because the person tasked with running the club has no checks or balances above him and doesn't know what he's doing.

I’ve said before on here somewhere, that Jeff was promoted above his abilities in the Fosun group, ballsed something up, they wanted him out the way where he couldn’t damage the core businesses, and well here we are.
It’s as mad a theory as anything else out there

Also anyone thinking is the Wrexham scenario is about just the community is wrong - it's still about investment and future return primarily, however they just know how to bring the community with them. Fosun started out ok on that front, hard to fathom what changed on all fronts - it's like they just gave up.

It's a bit reductive to just say 'Chinese owners don't work', it's like saying 'English managers don't work, they all get sacked in the end'. The amount of clubs that have a seamless period of ownership with little or no setbacks or bad spells is vanishingly small. Irrespective of nationality.

We're struggling now because the person tasked with running the club has no checks or balances above him and doesn't know what he's doing.
It is cultural. Chinese businesses are not like the rest of the world and often fail because of governmental interference as well as a different set of values.

No.
is there no end to your smugness?
Never wrong about anything are you.
So how do the inner workings of Chinese multinational companies work then, oh great knowledgable one

I'm wrong about plenty. Said I was about Johnstone today already, but thanks for checking.

I think a few years from now Wolves will become a case study on how not to run a football club. To go from European contenders and back to back 7th place finishes to the state we are in now is fucking malpractice and the owners should be getting run out of town by the fans.

I think a few years from now Wolves will become a case study on how not to run a football club. To go from European contenders and back to back 7th place finishes to the state we are in now is fucking malpractice and the owners should be getting run out of town by the fans.
Many many worse examples than our owners really.

Ours is study in how to throw away what you achieved quickly.

Also anyone thinking is the Wrexham scenario is about just the community is wrong - it's still about investment and future return primarily, however they just know how to bring the community with them. Fosun started out ok on that front, hard to fathom what changed on all fronts - it's like they just gave up.
We had that at the start. Heavily fronted by Dalrymple...that relationship went wrong probably because he wouldn't nod along and agree with everything , he left and Jeff took on his role and the rest is a fuck up.

The difference being Shi has the ego of a Hollywood star but the charisma and ability of a brown star.

Back