• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-Wolf Watch

So why shouldn’t people remember him fondly?

I don’t even think he’s as good as most here do but he is still:

1) A very good player
2) A genuine bloke
3) Someone the fans loved
4) Someone who loved the fans

If that’s not for you, cool, but the potshots are bizarre and make the whole thing more about you than Ruben.

If you took no enjoyment from watching Neves play for us then fair enough, but I genuinely feel sorry for you

Don't. There are plenty of other avenues for enjoyment without me trying to force it from a stone.

So why shouldn’t people remember him fondly?

I don’t even think he’s as good as most here do but he is still:

1) A very good player
2) A genuine bloke
3) Someone the fans loved
4) Someone who loved the fans

If that’s not for you, cool, but the potshots are bizarre and make the whole thing more about you than Ruben.
I can see this particular poster is new to you...

Just listening to Emi Martinez podcast with Ben Foster.

He said that Wolves offered 10million for him after his loan at Wolves, but he decided to fight for his place at Arsenal (then they signed Cech)

Seems very unlikely we'd have offered that sort of money to me? (He was also pretty crap during that loan spell)

But obviously there's no reason for him to be fibbing!

Just listening to Emi Martinez podcast with Ben Foster.

He said that Wolves offered 10million for him after his loan at Wolves, but he decided to fight for his place at Arsenal (then they signed Cech)

Seems very unlikely we'd have offered that sort of money to me? (He was also pretty crap during that loan spell)

But obviously there's no reason for him to be fibbing!
He really wasn't crap during the loan spell.

OK, well he wasn't a vastly marked improvement on Ikeme, let in a howler against someone at home (I can't remember who) and he definitely wasn't worth a 10mill bid (at the time)

Jackett managed that whole situation badly. If either he or Ikeme made an error he'd drop them, which made them nervous and affected them both
I agree, but the fact that Martinez couldn't keep Ikeme out tells its own story.

Anyway, the point in hand, I'm amazed we offered 10mill for him in that era.

I could see us bidding £1m for him but never in a million years would we have put in a £10m bid for a keeper that had spent his career mainly on loan (and then went on loan 2 more times). We didn't have Jeff as our chief scout at that time

I could see us bidding £1m for him but never in a million years would we have put in a £10m bid for a keeper that had spent his career mainly on loan (and then went on loan 2 more times). We didn't have Jeff as our chief scout at that time
Totally agree, seems utterly bizarre.

Makes you wonder what players get told by their clubs/agents, and how much of it is true.

Maybe Emi just getting confused after being told "they bid like 10 times for you but never went above a million" Footballers brain = £10m

No way we were bidding £10m for him, in the Championship, after dropping him for Ikeme

At the start it was a random process who player out of him and Ikeme and guaranteed you were dropped after a mistake. Then he got injured and couldn't get back in. Would be odd that we put a huge bid for a keeper we had seemingly decided wasn't good enough at the time and was running down his loan.

Back