• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cycling Thread

I am not sure it was Joop - definitely a dutch GC contender in 1975-1976 so I went for him. Had a pastry baster in the shoulder of his shirt to pass clean test materials out of his trousers to the testers. Without my book I can't get the name. Will check.

Got it - it was Michel Pollentier

Pollentier was called to the drugs test with José Nazabal and Antoine Guttierez. Nazabal gave his sample but anticipated the positive result by leaving the race that night. When Guttierez went to provide his sample, the doctor - a man called Le Calvez spending his first day with the race - grew suspicious and tugged up his jersey, revealing a system of tubes and a bottle of urine. He then pulled down Pollentier's shorts and found him similarly equipped. Reports in the press called the supply of urine - somebody else's urine - as being in a bottle. Riders called it a "pear". In fact it was a condom. The tube ran from there to the riders' shorts so that pressure on the condom, held under the armpit, would give the impression of urinating.

Sorry Joop

Genius really, but then the UCI have never been all that keen on new technology!

Excellent. I've just seen that the Tour of Britain in September finishes in Guildford. Our cobbled High Street will sort 'em out!

media

AxmRyoHCAAEmoxt.jpg:large

AxmMWIRCQAE6V8t.jpg:large

Axg_0c6CAAAbOl4.jpg:large

Just watching your on my hol. Italian commentary. Froome looked weak for a few moments then he and Wiggo catch Nibali, then Froome attacked leaving Wiggo on his own. Weird. He got some strong words and waited. Evans losing quite some time here.

Nibaldi is the only threat to Wiggins now, Evans hasnt really shown any spark during the tour just really been hanging in there.
Must be galling for Froome, I think he could have taken a good bit of time out of Wiggins yesterday if he had been allowed to (and on at least one of the previous stages as well), but orders is orders.

The climbs are too far out to have any effect on gc today. Next action will be the pyrenees, and the aubisque, tourmalet, soulor, peyresaude stage. Nibali needs something awesome as he is likely to lose two minutes to wiggo and froome in the tt.

BTW - the doping rider appears to have been involved in a cocaine ring. So not a cheat, but definitely a cunt.

It could be a repeat of last years Tour of Spain in the pyrenees where Nibali constantly attacked Wiggins & Froome chipping away at their lead, although in the end it was too much for him and he cracked completely on one of the later climbs. Will be interesting to see what the 3 of them have learnt from that.

Its Millar time!

4 British stage winners in this years tour.

Another day safely negotiated for Wiggins as Greipel takes the sprint today.

Well done Luis Leon Sanchez but today was fucking bizarre. What sort of imbecile litters a road with tacks? Jesus christ.

First time I've watched it and fair play to Wiggins, although someone did decide to carry on.

I would love to have heard the conversation of the europcar team radio. Roland isn't exactly popular with the peloton anyway (same as some blokes can't stand voeckler for some reason and he is also europcar) so the team would have been seriously unpopular if he had made that stick.

Reminds me of Contador "not noticing" that Andy Schleck had had a mechanical a couple of years ago - those seconds decided the whole race effectively.

Spent most of yesterday out riding (have to make the most of any sign of dry weather) and just caught up with yesterdays stage this morning.

Reminded me of the Etape Caledonia a few years back when a disgruntled resident (turned out to be a church elder) pulled a similar stunt because he couldn't bear to see the roads closed for a couple of hours.

Good to see Wiggins/Sky doing the right thing and honouring the yellow jersey, and Liquigas for playing ball. Also to see BMC acknowledging the team cars, I like Evans and that's no way to lose a Tour. No idea what Rolland was thinking, probably some choice words were exchanged when he was bought back.

Comparisons with the Contador/Schleck incident are valid I guess, though it can't be ignored that Schleck didn't hang around for Bertie when he was held up in yellow on an earlier stage!

Well done Luis Leon Sanchez but today was fucking bizarre. What sort of imbecile litters a road with tacks? Jesus christ.

Not the first time the tour has had results influenced by a load of needles, is it?

#hereallweek

Hilarious. Such a shame some wag polluted the BBC blog with the same joke.

Back