• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Crawley (H) (League Cup) - 09/08/16 - Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got called out at 6.10 to mark a singles bowls semi final as the person supposed to be doing it hadn't turned up so didn't hear the first half.

Sounds as if I have missed very little.

Some of last season's crop are doing themselves no favours from your comments.

Walt loves a HT substitution.

Said it on Saturday, we have to find a way of playing both Mason and Bod for now. Can't play either up top alone given the supporting cast.

Walt loves a HT substitution.

Said it on Saturday, we have to find a way of playing both Mason and Bod for now. Can't play either up top alone given the supporting cast.

They looked really good together on Sat.

Morecambe one up at Rotherham.

Wallace & Henry off - Costa & Bodvarsson on

Texeira out to the right

Yes because they have the midfielders to do it, we don't.

My point proven by today's first half and Rotherham's.

So you can only play one up front if you have world class midfielders otherwise everybody else has to play 4-4-2? Seems all a bit 1980's to me, do you want a 'snotter' or 'midfield general' too?

Someone is streaming the game on Facebook from their seat :icon_lol:

Second half we are more purposful up front but still sound like a bomb scare at the back

So you can only play one up front if you have world class midfielders otherwise everybody else has to play 4-4-2? Seems all a bit 1980's to me, do you want a 'snotter' or 'midfield general' too?
I have not been proven wrong so far have I? Jackett loved his 1 up front too, as well as Saunders.

Texeira booked - apparantly for diving

Still learning what a foul is here

I have not been proven wrong so far have I? Jackett loved his 1 up front too, as well as Saunders.

We've just done this. Pep Guardiola, Mourinho, Wenger and Pochetino along with many other also love 1 up front. It's horses for courses. You moaned about not playing 2 up front, that is your prejudice for a certain formation nothing to do with the resources at Wolves disposal.

I'd add that you are not always more likely to score with 2 up front than you are with 1.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with one up top. When we had Henry, Jacobs and Sako behind Dicko that was great. All the three attacking midfielders had serious goal threat (arguably it's all Henry offers) and Dicko is perfect for that role. No complaints with playing 'one up front' then because it wasn't really, we always had at least four out and out attacking players when we were in possession. It was miles better than playing Griffiths and Doyle up front as a pair.

I'd agree that reducing it to three attacking players rather than four and having either Mason or Bod up top as a lone striker won't work, because the personnel isn't right at all. We do need to find a way to get two strikers on the pitch at the moment and the easiest way to do it would be to go 4-4-2, not as if we're benefiting from any control the extra man in midfield might give us as we invariably end up playing at least one awful footballer in the middle. So fine, play two up top for now. But it really isn't the be all and end all.

Teixera, Henry, Hause and now Price - all have taken a free kick this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back