• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

Another 2 shops going in our town.

Have got a new one coming to take over the old Barclays Bank but that is another charity shop.

Also looking like the record shop is going as well as the owner is battling ill health.

We are heading towards just having charity shops and barbers here. Not many independent shops are surviving.
It will turn around at some point but its getting properly fucked up here.
Newport was like this a few years ago, last few years there are more coffee shops/cafes and some independent nic nac shops. There are a couple empty shops recently appearing, hope it's not a return to loads of empty ones.

Interesting re:barbers. Been bugging me a bit to be honest.

We’ve got about 10 in the relatively small high street area alone.

The one I go to is staffed by Kurds. Never thought much about it but it’s noticeable recently there is always a new guy looking over the shoulder of the barber being trained, the last two of which as far as I could see didn’t speak a word of English.

Not that any of that should be an issue but when it’s 15 quid a pop for (in my case) less than 10 minutes work and strictly cash only it starts to rub people up the wrong way.

Last edited:
Interesting re:barbers. Been bugging me going me a bit to be honest.

We’ve got about 10 in the relatively small high street area alone.

The one I go to is staffed by Kurds. Never thought much about it but it’s noticeable recently there is always a new guy looking over the shoulder of the barber being trained, the last two of which as far as I could see didn’t speak a word of English.

Not that any of that should be an issue but when it’s 15 quid a pop for (in my case) less than 10 minutes work and strictly cash only it starts to rub people up the wrong way.
I think they get a lot of invisible customers.

Immigration officials and the inland revenue cracked down on car washes. I’d imagine Barber shops are in their line of fire now.

Car washes weren’t booking anything though. The barbers are booking too much…

They must book a bloody lot then as a lot of them always have customers waiting

Not buy me they don’t. Always dead, doesn’t help that there is already 6 barbers within 100m

Was in Town just after Christmas (first time for ages), parked on Sainsburys and walked up for a meeting with my Solicitor in Lich Gates, still a fucking shit hole, can’t believe Loo Blooms is still going, used to buy all the latest fashion gear from there when I was in my teens.

Barbers round here make a load extra by selling the now illegal vapes. One of them does it right next door to the cop shop which I find rather amusing

I doubt a Kurdish run barber shop or an Albanian car wash gang master using slave labour with brick acid to wash your alloys with would give a shiny shit about the Inland Revenue 😆

That’s kinda the whole point. See Al Capone.

An Istanbul Barbers have opened up direct across the street from the one I’ve been going to for years. They keep a tally of how many customers they get. Last time I went they said they’d only seen two people that day go through the door.

There are two within 100 yards of each other in Cannock opened roughly the same time as well????

I was doing a bit of googling on the subject earlier.

Is this true ? I certainly don't get my hair cut every four weeks

"Why so many? Hair keeps growing, even in this economy: statistics suggest men get their hair cut about every four weeks. Plus, if the pandemic taught us anything, it’s that haircutting is best left to the professionals."

Plenty out there who do it every 2 or even less

Based on observation of barbers in Stafford there are invariably more barbers than customers in them.

Used to work with a lad who went every Friday on his way home from work to look fresh for the weekend!

The ones round here are always busy to be fair and the place I go is friendly and they do a good job.

They seem self-sufficient as legitimate businesses although it’s pretty obvious tax evasion is part of the game. HMRC aren’t exactly going to see too much of the true turnover.

Last edited:
I was doing a bit of googling on the subject earlier.

Is this true ? I certainly don't get my hair cut every four weeks

"Why so many? Hair keeps growing, even in this economy: statistics suggest men get their hair cut about every four weeks. Plus, if the pandemic taught us anything, it’s that haircutting is best left to the professionals."
I suspect 4 weeks is one of those averages which only a relatively small percentage actually do, brought down by those that go every week or 2. I'm 5-6

During the shutdown when we started to resemble the seventies I bought a hair clipper and a hair cutting set, my Wife started cutting my hair, a bit iffy at first but she does a cracking job now, I have it done every couple of weeks.
Easily as good as any Barbers.

Back