• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cardiff 2 v Wolves 1 verdict thread

46 points from 42 games since Afobe left. Seven defeats in our last 12 games. One clean sheet in 13 games.

It's all relegation stuff over long periods and while the finger should rightly be pointed at Lambert to some extent tonight - like I said on the last page, if we keep playing this formation with these players then we are constantly going to be in a cycle of losing more than we win, and we do have some alternatives to that on both fronts - the fact is that most of these players are bottom five dross. They've proven it over virtually an entire year now.

A clean sweep of anyone who was here pre-takeover is fine by me, none of them deserve to stay in the long run given what they've shown of late. The lot of them have had long enough and they're only taking us one way. If Lambert has blind faith in that lot because of their "experience" then he should quickly reassess that because what fucking good is "experience" of not playing any football and serving up marginally better than 1PPG form?

We desperately need players lined up ready to go on 1st January, we can't afford this kind of form for another 4-7 weeks, it'll anchor us right in the bottom three. Get quality in right down the spine and then work from there.

If we play that formation on Saturday I'm not going to be happy at all.

Impressive going that our last goal scored by a striker was on August 20th. Nearly four months without one of our strikers hitting the net! FFS.

Id love to speak to the person who scouted Paul Gladon and decided he would be a good signing, this is the worse defensive unit I've ever seen line up for this club and I've since i started going 29 years ago.

Id love to speak to the person who scouted Paul Gladon and decided he would be a good signing, this is the worse defensive unit I've ever seen line up for this club and I've since i started going 29 years ago.

But you cant blame Gladon for any of this shit though....

46 points from 42 games since Afobe left. Seven defeats in our last 12 games. One clean sheet in 13 games.

It's all relegation stuff over long periods and while the finger should rightly be pointed at Lambert to some extent tonight - like I said on the last page, if we keep playing this formation with these players then we are constantly going to be in a cycle of losing more than we win, and we do have some alternatives to that on both fronts - the fact is that most of these players are bottom five dross. They've proven it over virtually an entire year now.

A clean sweep of anyone who was here pre-takeover is fine by me, none of them deserve to stay in the long run given what they've shown of late. The lot of them have had long enough and they're only taking us one way. If Lambert has blind faith in that lot because of their "experience" then he should quickly reassess that because what $#@!ing good is "experience" of not playing any football and serving up marginally better than 1PPG form?

We desperately need players lined up ready to go on 1st January, we can't afford this kind of form for another 4-7 weeks, it'll anchor us right in the bottom three. Get quality in right down the spine and then work from there.

If we play that formation on Saturday I'm not going to be happy at all.

I'm not even sure it's the players and formation Dan, the style and tactics we are using haven't worked with this set of players for over a year and I really am at a loss as to why we keep persisting with them.

It is the definition of insanity surely?

Jesus wept that second goal. Not a single for midfielder within 10 yards of Pilkington running through into the box.

I read it again. My apologies.. Im Mr Angry tonight forgive me.

Impressive going that our last goal scored by a striker was on August 20th. Nearly four months without one of our strikers hitting the net! FFS.

Absolutely, and I have mentioned this a few times. We do not have a striker that can score, and however bad our defence is, if your strikers cannot score then problems are just around the corner. Dicko is not half the player he was, and for all the work Bod puts in, he is not a natural goalscorer.

I'm not even sure it's the players and formation Dan, the style and tactics we are using haven't worked with this set of players for over a year and I really am at a loss as to why we keep persisting with them.

It is the definition of insanity surely?

I don't get it at all. If we played this system properly - with our DM properly covered by the two players in front of him and using him as a genuine platform to play through, if we had at least one centre half who could play the ball out semi-effectively, if we had two ball players in midfield along with our DM so that we could actually play through the thirds, if we pressed the ball properly as a team, if we didn't have full backs who need an orthodox wide player in front of them holding their hand half the time, if we didn't have the wingers being totally isolated whenever they got the ball, if we ever had more than two players in the box when we're looking to cross it, if we played into a lone front man and got runners around and off him - then it would all be fine. It's fairly standard stuff. But as you say, we haven't done it properly for a year, maybe more. I'm not sure we do have the players to play this way.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Lambert did away with Zenga's playbook and then picked it back up after two games - one of which was ruined by Lambert's selection more than anything else. His predecessor got sacked because what he was attempting wasn't working in any way shape or form. Why would you seek to copy him and issue instructions in a different accent?

It's pitiful management on the face of it but I have the nasty feeling growing now that there's instruction from above to play in a certain way to the detriment of everything else. Which again, defies belief.

I don't think we're going to fly up the league whatever we do with this set of players, as I said on Norman's thread yesterday, there are tons of players I'd look to bring in and seriously, most of the areas of our team need ripping up and starting again. But we can be doing a lot better than this, even now. I don't want to be digging yet another manager out inside a month because I've already had to do that twice in the last four years, but he was brought in to improve things. Like, now. Nothing has really changed. Just waiting until January is not a viable strategy because I could bloody well do that.

He's lost it already listening to that $#@!.

Five games. Five games.

The impatience on display is absolutely staggering.

Let's get through Fosun's second transfer window at least before we go about hanging anyone.

I'd rather he passed the runner on instead of being dragged all over the pitch.

Pass him on to who? Burgoyne is the only player behind him! Stearman is covering a run down the opposite side of the pitch and Batth has decided he's going to stand his ground in concrete boots leaving a massive gap behind him.

Five games. Five games.

Let's get through Fosun's second transfer window at least before we go about hanging anyone.
I think it's way too early to write him off too but he's not helping himself with some of his selections.

But I don't think he's happy with his players. He didn't sound particularly impressed on that video but he's also not slagging off the players to the media. I'm not paying much attention to what he says in interviews though.

I'm pretty sure he knows he's got a shit squad to work with and I hope he's got some names lined up for January 1st.

Five games. Five games.

I've edited my original response, but please wind your neck in. Apart from the first game when you could defend his line up, his team selection and in game management has been pitiful

Paddy said on the match thread we won't go down, I'm really not so so sure, current form says we will and irrespective of the money theoretically available I'm not sure who would come that would improve us given where we currently are. Williamson is all of a sudden crucial to us.

I've edited my original response, but please wind your neck in. Apart from the first game when you could defend his line up, his team selection and in game management has been pitiful

Most seemed fairly happy with the selection before the game started, and before Saturday's game?

Back