• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 1 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict (or lack thereof) Thread

just fucking awful defending all round for that goal. initially we have 4 on 2, then 3 on 2. how we've let a cross come in without one of their players even having to beat a man is piss poor. and that's before you add in not picking up baldock and carl's flap.

Zenga said after the game that he felt Wolves were just as good as Brighton but that we are not getting the rub of the green.

He also feels that two of his main strikers are not fully fit, Dicko and Bod, but when they are then perhaps we will convert the numerous chances being created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LAiy_2LZAo

Having read ypour comments I feel that my summary is play to your strengths. We are not a defensive squad so play to win. If we win 3 and lose 2 out of every five games laying attacking football I still think we will be close come the end of the season 18 wins more this season adds 54 points so its not insurmountable. That leaves 15 games to draw or lose! Do that and we will still be close

Danny tags Baldock as the ball is played wide then drifts away from him and leaves the space. Saiss maybe could have done more to help him, but ultimately Batth has let him go and looks oblivious to the threat.
Pretty much what I was going to write after just seeing the goal. Batth is skipping around in no mans land like a seven year old schoolgirl.

I went last night. The simple matter was Brighton were better than us. Probably the hardest side in the league to get a result against and for a new team such as ours we really couldn't get a hold on the game at all. Saying that it was another error leading to a goal, this time Ikeme practically missing the ball on it's way into the net. We also stayed in the game and could've pinched a point.

We must stay patient and allow this team to settle down. Midweek fixtures are over for a while so I think performances will get far more consistent from now for us. We aren't far off. Yes, the spine needs some extra quality but signs are still very positive for me. Unfortunately many fans can't ever see a bigger picture staring them in the face. We have lots of quality all getting fit at the same time and for me the next few weeks could be very exciting.

Team wise, we need to remove Iorfa from full back as he is not good enough in possession. Hause and Batth need a run of games and I'd like to see Silvio get a run.
Cavaleiro will surely start on Saturday and is due a run of starts and we need to find the right balance in central midfield. A home game coming up should see Costa, Cav and JDB as the front three for the first time. Bring it on!

Did we not start with those three vs Burton? (Genuinely can't remember)

Edit: No, thinking back, we were treated to Gladon that day (must have tried to repress that memory)

Having seen the highlights i can't believe their goal. No idea what Batth is doing, he sees Baldock for quite a long time but never picks him up and he gets a free header. Saiss could have got infront of him but a coach would want Batth to pick his man up and win the battle with Saiss infront to stop anything pulled further back or to pick up anything that drops from the challenge. Then what Ikeme is trying to do is anyone's guess, one of the worst attempts to make a save i've seen in a while.

For me i think Batth has to be dropped, he's making far too many errors and needs to be withdrawn and i would say the same with Iorfa who doesn't look comfortable at all. A settled side has benefits but not when some of them are clearly out of form. I'd like to see Hause get a run in the side, he's still our best centre half for me and has the most potential too. Saiss is a one man midfield at the moment in terms of real quality on the ball and having a football brain, Evans next to him is needed. Costa looks our most potent threat and is a definite starter and Cavaleiro should be starting on the other side, he's looked good in parts but just hasn't had enough quality game time.

Pretty much what I was going to write after just seeing the goal. Batth is skipping around in no mans land like a seven year old schoolgirl.

even a free glancing header from there shouldn't have troubled a goalkeeper !!

Maybe Ikeme slipped as he was trying to move laterally? Only thing I can think of.

Maybe Ikeme slipped as he was trying to move laterally? Only thing I can think of.

Maybe Ikeme is just a leaden footed lump with limited movement ;)

Maybe Ikeme is just a leaden footed lump with limited movement ;)

He made some good saves during the match highlights, although that's all I've seen. I'm not his biggest fan but I think he has had some unfair criticism over Brighton's goal, criticism that should be pointed elsewhere.

What's happened to the ol' blog DW? I was enjoying that...
Hi guys BTW. Long time no speak. I've been lurking for a while now - thanks to Wolf Hunting and others for the match updates as always! Bit frustrated with Zenga and the boys at the minute as most of us are, but optimistic we can get some form going.

Just personal circumstances really (and not being especially happy with the quality of the product), it's on hiatus at the moment, it might come back, it might not.

Ah fair enough. I'll keep an eye out. I thought it was good any way.

It is good. I think I speak for everyone when I say we all enjoyed reading them.

One of the most worrying things for me about the goal is what happens immediately afterwards. Batth does a half-hearted bit of pointing, then he and Iorfa wander aimlessly in the direction of the centre circle, with Batth seemingly focused on blowing his nose. There's no inquest, no finger pointing, no encouragement, no nothing. Just an shrug and an acceptance that they've scored.

Just personal circumstances really (and not being especially happy with the quality of the product), it's on hiatus at the moment, it might come back, it might not.

It was really good and you should definitely keep them going. I think you need to step back and think about how you actually view the blog, it's not a product, you're not selling it, you don't make a living doing it, just stop putting yourself under false pressure and do what comes naturally, which is writing witty observations about football.

It was really good and you should definitely keep them going. I think you need to step back and think about how you actually view the blog, it's not a product, you're not selling it, you don't make a living doing it, just stop putting yourself under false pressure and do what comes naturally, which is writing witty observations about football.
Spot on!

Back