• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bolton Wanderers (A) build up 12/9

Taylor wasn't in charge for that one (he was in the stand though). That pretty much gives the answer away...

Lee won our last game there and our only ever one at Horwich, didn't do it in the league though.
It wouldn't be Shirtliff, would it?

Yep. Didn't actually lose a game with him in charge, won two and drew one.

Think Guy Whittingham scored a couple in that game at Burnden Park.

That was the first season I remember well and I have some really vivid memories. One of them was my discovery that a player could be a manager at the same time, something that had simply never occurred to me before. I remember being amazed that Shirtliff was boss after seeing him on the pitch not long before :icon_lol:

I also remember thinking that Whittingham was some kind of footballing genius. He did go on an impressive scoring run towards the end of the season, to be fair.

What I'd give for a Peter Shirtliff in the team now, hardly heard of him before he came to us but surely one of the most under-rated CB's and an absolutely immense heart at the back for us

Ikeme

Doherty EEL Hause Golbourne

McDonald Coady

Wallace Edwards Byrne

Afobe​

I think we'll see something like this. I'd have Martinez, Iorfa, Henry & Price in for Ikeme, Doherty, Edwards & McDonald personally...

I thought Bolton would have signed Michael Owen on a short term contract today, never mind.

Ikeme

Doherty EEL Hause Golbourne

McDonald Coady

Wallace Edwards Byrne

Afobe​

If McDonald isn't fully fit (& he hasn't looked it so far) then Price in with Coady.

As to the keeper - then pick one & stick with it - it's the only way one of them is going to get the current mistakes out of their system. Not that fussed which one.

If McDonald isn't fully fit after a 2 week international break then we should just put him out of his misery.

If McDonald isn't fully fit after a 2 week international break then we should just put him out of his misery.

Depends what the problem is - 2 weeks is not that long for some issues.

Then again not sure why he was being played when KJ admitted he was only 70% fit last time he played. Would rather have had someone who was even if not quite as talented

I'd be looking to play:

....................Ikeme
Doherty.....EEL......Hause.....Golbourne
Byrne.......Coady...Edwards.....Henry
.....................Afobe
......................ALF

Martinez, Iorfa, Price, McDonald, Wallace, Ojo, Bright/(loan striker)

.....then looking to play McDonald at Fulham instead of (Edwards/ALF) which will be a much more 'midfield/passing' type game if that makes sense.

I'd go with:

Ikeme

Iorfa EEL Hause Golbourne

Price Coady

Byrne Afobe Wallace

Le Fondre​

Though I expect Afobe to play up top with Edwards behind him. And probably Henry will push Byrne to the bench for now. Either way, we have some decent options on the bench - Ojo, Henry, Edwards, McDonald....

Depends what the problem is - 2 weeks is not that long for some issues.

Then again not sure why he was being played when KJ admitted he was only 70% fit last time he played. Would rather have had someone who was even if not quite as talented

He became 100% fit at 6.01pm

Just under 1000 sold, changed allocation to 1950 Tickets all lower tier, general sale on Saturday!

Cheers for the update.

Atmosphere will be rocking in the Macron next sat. :blah-sleeping1:

I'd go with Langers' team - don't see a problem with Byrne starting as presumably the next week and a half is going to see a few practice games to get a settled team. But sadly it'll be Edwards behind Afobe - really think we need ALF on the pitch from the start.

Back