• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bolton (H) Build Up Thread

All this shit about the club losing its soul/traditions etc is hilarious.

What exactly was it that Wolves stood for under Steve Morgan and Jack Hayward that we've somehow lost since Fosun bought us?

All this $#@! about the club losing its soul/traditions etc is hilarious.

What exactly was it that Wolves stood for under Steve Morgan and Jack Hayward that we've somehow lost since Fosun bought us?

The Union Jack?

Pissing money away on absolute shite under Sir Jack.

We blew everyone else in the division away financially when Morgan first came in. Just that not everyone came off (whereas bar the injured German Phil, they have this year - which in itself is fairly unprecedented) and obviously it doesn't make as many headlines when you're wasting money on Darren Ward rather than making an astute signing in Willy Boly.

The Union Jack?

Sir Jack has this dream that Wolves would win the FA Cup with a team made up of local lads like we did back when he was a boy but that's all it was. A dream.

Sir Jack has this dream that Wolves would win the FA Cup with a team made up of local lads like we did back when he was a boy but that's all it was. A dream.

More like a fantasy anymore. It's a a global market now. If you can field a team of "local lads" and be successful, you're probably not in a top league.

Maybe a bit sad for some but that's just the nature of sport. Not all the best talent will be in your own backyard.

To be fair Sir Jack bought us in 1990. It was vaguely feasible then and for most of the 90s. Look at the makeup of the Blackburn team who won the PL - ok, not many were from Lancashire but it was broadly a British team. Wouldn't happen now.

Times change, things move on.

To be fair Sir Jack bought us in 1990. It was vaguely feasible then and for most of the 90s. Look at the makeup of the Blackburn team who won the PL - ok, not many were from Lancashire but it was broadly a British team. Wouldn't happen now.

Times change, things move on.

It could've actually been possible if he'd poured some of the millions we wasted into the academy and done it much earlier. It took until Taylor for that to happen.

Well yeah, as I say all we achieved under him was wasting money (and a massive opportunity). For passion and sheer love for the club he gets 10/10. For footballing decisions I'd have to give him 3/10 and that's being generous.

You can blame Turner too for not doing anything with the Academy, he wasn't interested. He had a chance of having an actual transfer budget and he chose to go with that, wholesale. Sadly he wasted far too much of it on the likes of Hindmarch, Blades, Ashley, Birch, Keen (good player but he had no idea how to use him) etc.

Taylor's role was important but a little overplayed - yeah, he said we should have proper youth facilities, and he got SJH to listen. Good stuff. But most managers would do that.

The irony being, the relationship between the fans and the club probably hasn’t been this good since the season we went up under Mick. Partly because of the success on the pitch, but mainly because of how good the PR at the club has been.

It’s been a massive improvement both on and off the pitch this season. Articles like this are uneducated, unfounded and bitter.

The irony being, the relationship between the fans and the club probably hasn’t been this good since the season we went up under Mick. Partly because of the success on the pitch, but mainly because of how good the PR at the club has been.

It’s been a massive improvement both on and off the pitch this season. Articles like this are uneducated, unfounded and bitter.

Deffo Jynx. They had a bit of a rocky start but Fosun and more-so/now Nuno and the boys have pulled me back in. Such a nice positive feel around the club.
My Dad and step sister did basically every away game when we went down to League One. I stopped going completely. Easy to say in hindsight but it wasn't about money or being in a shitty division.

Which pub are you guys drinking in before the match ?

Which pub are you guys drinking in before the match ?

not 100% certain yet but possibly the George Wallis to watch Barnsley vs Leeds. Will put somethign on here tomorrow morning on our way down.

So what did bolton do when they signed former Real Madrid players and the like to "buy their way into the Premier League" under big Sam? Ivan Campo, Jay Jay etc.
What a pile of $#@!e
It didn't work, so it doesn't count!

It did work, they were in the PL for over 10 years! Finished 6th one year, made Europe, plenty of seasons being in no relegation trouble whatsoever, made a League Cup final. I despise BFS on many levels but he did a great job there and while you couldn't say the control of the finances was watertight under him, it wasn't too bad, it actually spiralled under Megson and Coyle more than anything.

Obviously in the long term it was a worse policy than ours because all the money just went on wages. You can't ever recoup anything when you're continually signing 32 year olds for a last hurrah. And at some point it'll go wrong and leave you nowhere.

It did work, they were in the PL for over 10 years! Finished 6th one year, made Europe, plenty of seasons being in no relegation trouble whatsoever, made a League Cup final. I despise BFS on many levels but he did a great job there and while you couldn't say the control of the finances was watertight under him, it wasn't too bad, it actually spiralled under Megson and Coyle more than anything.

Obviously in the long term it was a worse policy than ours because all the money just went on wages. You can't ever recoup anything when you're continually signing 32 year olds for a last hurrah. And at some point it'll go wrong and leave you nowhere.

Talking shite there Al, BFS had Bolton doing really well. I watched a lot of their games live on Sky (I was living with my band at the time, we had Sky Sports.... it was an excuse to drink cans midweek), Jay-Jay was a beast for them, Nolan was savage in defence, Jussi in goal..... they did really well under Sam.

Talking shite there Al, BFS had Bolton doing really well. I watched a lot of their games live on Sky (I was living with my band at the time, we had Sky Sports.... it was an excuse to drink cans midweek), Jay-Jay was a beast for them, Nolan was savage in defence, Jussi in goal..... they did really well under Sam.

Say whaaaaaaaaat?!

Back