• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

Keg is colder and usually more fizzy and is served under CO2 pressure which can suit stronger and hoppier craft beer. Cask beer is served via hand pump at cellar temp ~12oC and usually has a fuller mouthfeel and a more gentle carbonation.

There are more technical differences involving secondary fermentation and conditioning etc, but those lines are blurring with the introduction of key-keg (which is what most craft beer is served from)

Key keg is a twin compartment system which means that the dispensing gas doesn't come into contact with the product. I would suggest that the lines are definitely distinctive between traditional cask and the key keg alternatives.

Pros and cons of both systems, but what's important is what ends up in the glass.

Depends on your convictions though. CAMRA are adamant about their attitude towards keg dispensed beers. So adamant that it could be described as obsessive or indeed snobbish as they snear at the very idea of 'fizzy pop' stuff.

I hardly think I'm being a fantasist. It's like when Hugh Fearnley-Whitingstall was trying to stop everyone buying shit chickens.... Craft is free range and plenty of people buy free range chicken these days.
I would use milk as a better analogy of price fixing. You can get your 4 pint carton for £1 from the supermarket cartel or you could go to the farm and pay the proper going rate.

Quite.

Personally, i'd love to see CAMRA abandon that definition though. It's served it's purpose and is now in danger of entrenching themselves in the company of the likes of Morland and Greene King whilst stubbornly discouraging supporting/promoting the likes of Cloudwater & Buxton.

Its not rubbish at all - I disagree with their attitudes towards keg but its an accurate post.

Quite.

Personally, i'd love to see CAMRA abandon that definition though. It's served it's purpose and is now in danger of entrenching themselves in the company of the likes of Morland and Greene King whilst stubbornly discouraging supporting/promoting the likes of Cloudwater & Buxton.

We've spoken about this before but CAMRA should be focussing on pubs rather than beers. I'd be all for them promoting said breweries in pubs as opposed to pooh-poohing them as is what seems to be their stance.

Its not rubbish at all - I disagree with their attitudes towards keg but its an accurate post.

CAMRA are neither obsessive or snobbish, and I think you know that Ian. Whereas the attitude on here towards those who dare to enjoy more mainstream beers is indeed snobbish. Hence my comment that this thread is for the beer snobs.

CAMRA are neither obsessive or snobbish, and I think you know that Ian. Whereas the attitude on here towards those who dare to enjoy more mainstream beers is indeed snobbish. Hence my comment that this thread is for the beer snobs.

CAMRA are snobbish and elitist, Frank and refuse to accept change. I support them and have been a member since I was 18 but they really should move with the times.

Pubs could use their help if they were more open to fresh ideas.

Nothing to do with those who enjoy more mainstream beers - this is about the organisation themselves.

We've spoken about this before but CAMRA should be focussing on pubs rather than beers. I'd be all for them promoting said breweries in pubs as opposed to pooh-poohing them as is what seems to be their stance.

Absolutely.

CAMRA round here are almost exclusively focussed on pubs not beer, and I don't see any snobbishness towards keg beers. Cambridgeshire is losing village pubs at an alarming rate, but the number of establishments selling craft beers in Cambridge itself is increasing significantly.

Pete Brown, writing in his Morning Advertiser column, wrote - ‘"CAMRA have won their battle, so what’s next?’ Since Camra’s inception, its most concrete rule was to fight for good quality beer. And it can still do that."

CAMRA round here are almost exclusively focussed on pubs not beer, and I don't see any snobbishness towards keg beers. Cambridgeshire is losing village pubs at an alarming rate, but the number of establishments selling craft beers in Cambridge itself is increasing significantly.

I wish the local branch around here had the same attitude. But I know some pubs are excluded from TGBG for reasons other than the quality of their beer.

I had the misfortune of talking to a group of the branch leaders at the Stourbridge beer festival a year or two ago. They had no clue whatsoever.

I have known of local branches asking for 'incentives' from pub managers/landlords/landladies.

I have known of local branches asking for 'incentives' from pub managers/landlords/landladies.

Be careful what you say Leeds. Another poster on here jumped down my throat quoting libel laws when I mentioned something similar many moons back when all I did was state my old mans experience with CAMRA when he was a landlord.

It was the early eighties though, so I would imagine that things have changed since then ..............

Back