• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Are we missing Dangerous Dave ?

Important to chase them though dan, makes it harder for them little time and so on..prefer that than to sit deep and park the bus

6 matches played prior to his injury - 4 wins 1 draw 1 defeat - 13 points from 18 PROMOTION FORM

5 matches played since his injury - 0 wins 2 draws 3 defeats - 2 points from 15 RELEGATION FORM

That is all she wrote.

6 matches played prior to his injury - 4 wins 1 draw 1 defeat - 13 points from 18 PROMOTION FORM

5 matches played since his injury - 0 wins 2 draws 3 defeats - 2 points from 15 RELEGATION FORM

That is all she wrote.

Plus the loss of Zyro, Graham, Williamson not being fit(we should've moved on and brought in a fit Centre Half) and Martinez who is just fit... Oh, and a clueless manager who has lost the plot! Wolves troubles are about more than one injury mate

I agree, but the question is "are we missing him"?

In my opinion, we are. But I accept we have many, many other issues. But we had them before, when some people were openly celebrating that he had picked up an injury.... as if it would be the answer to all our troubles.

I agree, but the question is "are we missing him"?

In my opinion, we are. But I accept we have many, many other issues. But we had them before, when some people were openly celebrating that he had picked up an injury.... as if it would be the answer to all our troubles.

Mason is doing all the running Dave did, for longer periods in the game and is proving a goal threat which is something Dave had stopped doing. Don't get me wrong here, I appreciate DE but he is now at a level where he should be an "impact sub" to use his energy in a short burst against a tiring defence. In short, with the other injuries and a manager who seems to of lost the plot Dave would make little difference to our results at present.
We need a new manager with some fresh ideas to give these players a kick up the arse/encouage them and find a balance that allows us to play the football we (think we) are able to play

We were shit with him, then had a little purple patch for which we should thank our lucky stars while he was still in the side. From what I could see in watching that little purple patch it had very little actually to do with Edwards. Lady Luck gave us at least six of those points in games where we were battered.

Dave Edwards has now been injured and we are shit again.

The bare stats cover up a more significant malaise than the presence or absence of Dave Edwards.

Much easier to say "2014-2015 - had Dicko, near play-off form" "2015-2016 - no Dicko, near relegation form". A much bigger survey of games. However, again it would only be one possible part of the puzzle of why we are utterly and completely appalling.

Just thought I'd check to see just how "dangerous" Dave really is....

2007/08 - 10 starts, 00 subs - 1 goal
2008/09 - 36 starts, 22 subs - 4 goals
2009/10 - 22 starts, 06 subs - 3 goals
2010/11 - 18 starts, 04 subs - 1 goal
2011/12 - 26 starts, 03 subs - 4 goals
2012/13 - 18 starts, 10 subs - 2 goals
2013/14 - 24 starts, 08 subs - 9 goals
2014/15 - 33 starts, 11 subs - 6 goals
2015/16 - 27 starts, 04 subs - 5 goals

35 goals in 282 appearances over 9 seasons. That's 1 goal every 8 games.

For a "goal scoring" midfielder, those are pretty shocking numbers. Not a single season into double figures. Only one, maybe two seasons with an acceptable return really.

I may have raised this point once or twice before :D

I'll give him a pass for his scoring record in 2016 as we haven't been playing him in an attacking role. He really isn't a goalscoring midfielder though, his finishing is largely terrible. I've never seen anyone else flat out miss the ball completely from <6 yards out so often.

Only really been 1 exteneded period where he has been played in the position he should be - and he got his best return.

Don't play - Wide right, in the middle of 4 man midfield or just in front of the back 4. Apart from the odd game here and there, effectively playing with 10 men.
Do Play - Behind the forward (like he did after the subs v Norwich....and he scored)

He's been given extended runs in his 'position' at this level before and he's hardly ever produced consistently. And even when he plays well individually in that role it is often to the detriment to the teams performance.

Likeable bloke, really friendly when I met him once and I'm sure he's quite good guy to have in and around the club but as a footballer he's never really been good enough except for a freak run of form in league 1 which has proven to be an exception rather than the norm unfortunately. Fair play to him for making it to ten seasons with us.

Problem with playing him there is he creates nothing. So once every 5-6 games (if I'm being extremely generous) he might score, the rest of the time he's playing British Bulldog with the opposition centre halves and defensive midfielder.

I can't believe he's still a regular, I really thought this was the time we'd finally phase him out.

Dave is what he is & does what he does - nothing more, nothing less

Not someone we need on a regular basis by any means, but has not been the worst squad member we have ever had - just surprised he has managed 10 yrs at the club without being moved on by one Manager or other.

Not someone we need on a regular basis by any means, but has not been the worst squad member we have ever had.

In a way he's more damaging than those candidates. The likes of Jonsson, Nouble, Bent, Clapham, Cassidy, Maierhofer etc from the last decade were clearly crap, produced less for us than Dave did, but then we didn't use them very much and moved them on as quickly as possible. We're still playing Edwards in nearly every game but he's still the same borderline lower half Champ/top six L1 player he was when we bought him nine years ago. He hasn't improved at all since then, probably declined a touch as he can't run around as much now.

As far as we know no-one has ever bid for him since he's been here and he's never been linked anywhere when his contracts have been running out. We even granted him an extension once when we didn't have a manager to make that call.

Problem with playing him there is he creates nothing. So once every 5-6 games (if I'm being extremely generous) he might score, the rest of the time he's playing British Bulldog with the opposition centre halves and defensive midfielder.

I can't believe he's still a regular, I really thought this was the time we'd finally phase him out.

I'm not a fan of Dave's for those reasons - however he's done alright recently and actually won the ball from his pressing which he didnt do last season, so I feel he's added a bit of value recently. And thats on top of his "good on the training pitch and in the dressing room" bit, which every team needs.

If he keeps playing that way, I'll be less irritated by him being in the team. If he goes back to running around with no end product however, he should be out.

I have been saying since pre-season "oh thats Dave done" and every game "he wont play again" yet he survives. one or 2 good games in 20 doesn't make him a good player, I see Prince as his replacement we now need another complimenting CM to take the other spot with Prince and Saiss, perhaps it will be Evans when he returns from what I have see so far it wont be Tex unless they switch it up and get him further up.

If KJ gets the Shrewsbury job lets hope he takes him off our hands I have seen enough now.

Back