• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

There's a book written by a Dr miklos niyiski( I think) about his time in auschwitz as mengeles assistant and the camp pathologist from a prisoners point of view,he only got the job because when he got off the train taking him there,and the Germans asked if anyone had medical experience,he volunteered

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi

What a fucking GREAT book. An in depth account of the Manson murders written by the prosecutor of the case. Yes, its gory as fuck in places but its never sensationalist. I found the in depth analysis of the whole case fascinating - the forensic evidence, the motives, just how wide the prosecution had to cast the net, the incredibly bizarre and shocking behaviour of the defendants, everything.

Its a pretty hefty book and took me all week on holiday to read it (alongside child sitting and drinking beer) but I was very glad I chose it.

This is 99p on Kindle at the moment.

That's an absolute bargain - if anyone is interested in this kind of book then I'd seriously recommend buying it at such a crazy price whilst you can.

That's an absolute bargain - if anyone is interested in this kind of book then I'd seriously recommend buying it at such a crazy price whilst you can.

Thank you for passing this on. I have just purchased it on my kindle. All I need now is to find the time to read it...

Helter Skelter is great.

Just going back to Solzhenitsyn, I'd recommend Cancer Ward. He uses the brutal treatment of a group of cancer patients as an allegory for the Soviet state. Horrifying but brilliant.

The one with a black cover and red writing?

Cowher Power 14 Years of Tradition.

Great bloke, great coach.

In between other books, I've read an absolute load of Star Wars novels over the past 6-12 months as they've released a lot of 'new canon' stories. So far I've got through (in chronological order):

Darth Plagueis
Tarkin
Lost Stars
Rogue One
Aftermath
Aftermath: Life Debt
Aftermath: Empire's End
Bloodline
Phasma

I've got the following but I'm still to read them:

Rogue One: Catalyst
Ahsoka
Rogue One: Rebel Rising

Some of them are tremendous - Lost Stars in particular is the best Star Wars book I've ever read.

I'm currently reading Bruce Dickinsons autobiography (What does this button do?)
It's really funny. He's done so much I'm desperate for all of it to have more detail, but I've laughed out loud a few times. And I've flown through it. Only 80 pages to go, so may well finish it tonight.

Kitchener's Mob- by Peter Doyle.

For those interested it is a fascinating read.

The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer. Starts off a bit slow but if you can stick with it its worth it.

'War Dog' - Damien Lewis

Czech air force gunner who got out to France when they were invaded - fought with the French air force till they fell, shot down between the French & German lines & found a german shepherd puppy in a ruined farmhouse. Somehow got him back to the French front line, then away to England after the fall of France. Fought throughout the rest of the war in the RAF with the dog sneaking onto the plane on one occasion then taking part in numerous sorties over Germany.

Both survived the war (dog won the Dickens medal - the equivalent of a VC for animals) - if this had been a movie script then you would have accepted it - though this was a true story

'War Dog' - Damien Lewis

Czech air force gunner who got out to France when they were invaded - fought with the French air force till they fell, shot down between the French & German lines & found a german shepherd puppy in a ruined farmhouse. Somehow got him back to the French front line, then away to England after the fall of France. Fought throughout the rest of the war in the RAF with the dog sneaking onto the plane on one occasion then taking part in numerous sorties over Germany.

Both survived the war (dog won the Dickens medal - the equivalent of a VC for animals) - if this had been a movie script then you would have accepted it - though this was a true story

Going to look out for that one Parkin. Thanks.

In between other books, I've read an absolute load of Star Wars novels over the past 6-12 months as they've released a lot of 'new canon' stories. So far I've got through (in chronological order):

Darth Plagueis
Tarkin
Lost Stars
Rogue One
Aftermath
Bloodline
Phasma

I've got the following but I'm still to read them:

Rogue One: Catalyst
Ahsoka
Rogue One: Rebel Rising

Some of them are tremendous - Lost Stars in particular is the best Star Wars book I've ever read.

Just made an Amazon order of some of these. Bar the old Han Solo novels, the last Star Wars novel I read was Splinter of the Minds Eye (which I still hugely recommend to you if you can find it). I am looking foward to giving them a go.

I'm just sticking with New Canon for now as there's so much coming out.

Some good stuff amongst them - I've just got Leia of Alderaan which is another new one. Its set before Episode IV when Leia is only about 16 but apparently is linked to The Last Jedi so I'll make sure I read that before the film comes out.

I think I might buy some stuff about Thrawn eventually as he seems to be a very popular big evil in the expanded canon but I have plenty coming on order to dip my toes into the novelisation pool. If any of it is good as Splinter, or the original Lucas book of Episode IV then I will be impressed. The Empire novelisation was shit-hot as well, as I remember. Jedi less so.

There's a new Thrawn novel that came out last year - he's been in Rebels on TV. Not read it yet but I like his character in Rebels which is the first I've seen of him.

Mr Amazon has just delivered:

Tarkin
Catalyst: Rogue One
Rebel Rising
Rogue One - the novelisation
Aftermath
Bloodline
Lost Stars

That should keep my star wars fix sorted for a while. I will probably pick up the omnibus novel trilogies of the great films and of the prequels, and might as well get the Force Awakens as well, just to top out the timeline. My novel copies of the original three are absolutely wrecked. Not entirely surprising as they were bought for me in the years that the films came out (Empire and Jedi at least - I think I got the Star Wars New Hope novel with the Empire one as a Christmas present in 1980)

Back