• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Speaking of David Mitchell, here's a cool short film based on a section of his book number9dream, starring Martin Freeman and Tom Hollander

Had this book recommended to me:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Five-People-You-Meet-Heaven-Mitch-Albom/0751536822
Not my usual cup of tea, but came highly recommended. Anyone else read it or one of the authors other books?

I think my wife has read it. If I remember, I'll ask her if it was any good.

My last few books have been:

The Orphan Masters Son by Adam Johnson - a fictional novel set in North Korea. It didn't grab me at first but then I really got into it. The story is split into 2 halves really - the first half is good but the second half is better. I am not sure how much of the description of North Korean life was real and how much was fictional but found it fascinating. I would like to read some non-fiction books about N. Korea now to get some real stories about what life is like there.

Persuader by Lee Child - book 7 in the Jack Reacher series. An absolutely cracking opening chapter and as with all Reacher books you know exactly what you are going to get. I still haven't read one that has lived up to book 1 in the series but I do enjoy these books. I'll be reading book 8 shortly.

Joyland by Stephen King - I didn't even know he'd written this until a guy at work lent it to me. It was published in 2014 (I think) but it has the feel of one of his older novels so I'd guess it's a story he's had kicking around for a while. I really liked it (although I rarely dislike any King novels TBF) and it's definitely one of the better of his recent releases. It's a shame it's only about 280 pages long as I wanted to read more!

I'm halfway through Michael Calvin's latest book - No Hunger In Paradise. It's about kids getting into football, the problems they face, how clubs set up to help them, how the parents cope/react etc. It's absolutely fascinating as Calvin's books always are.

Finished No Hunger in Paradise. I know there are a few fans of Michael Calvin on here - it's up to his usual standard, the quality doesn't drop throughout the book and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Particularly those of you involved in coaching young players - it's a very interesting insight into the positives and negatives surrounding youth development/recruitment.

Finished Matt Haig's new book, How to Stop Time, a couple of days ago. He's a really cracking author, and his Reasons To Stay Alive basically saved my life when I was in the deepest depths of my depression.

I'm just yet to come across who can understand and convey the vagaries of human nature is such poignant pose. It's very lovely stuff!

I'm currently reading Hack Attack by Nick Davies, about the news international hacking. Only 4 chapters in so far, but it is a travesty that coulson only got 6 months, and others were not found to be criminally guilty. Also, I highly doubt cameron was not aware.

I'm currently reading Hack Attack by Nick Davies, about the news international hacking. Only 4 chapters in so far, but it is a travesty that coulson only got 6 months, and others were not found to be criminally guilty. Also, I highly doubt cameron was not aware.

I listened to a podcast which touched around this a lot too:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/untold-daniel-morgan-murder/id1114802610?mt=2

I was too young to remember this, but the detective agency Daniel Morgan founded was deeply involved with the Notw and hacking - he was conveniently murdered.

cool - will have a listen to that when I'm further into the book (or have finished it).

I listened to a podcast which touched around this a lot too:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/untold-daniel-morgan-murder/id1114802610?mt=2

I was too young to remember this, but the detective agency Daniel Morgan founded was deeply involved with the Notw and hacking - he was conveniently murdered.
I got quite into the book again last night. There is a whole chapter on Morgans murder, and the failure to investigate it. It's a cracking read thus far, but it makes me fucking angry!

The Pub Across The Pond by Mary Carter. It had me hooked from the lovely cover and the words on the front ' Sometimes leaving home is the only way to find where you belong ...'

Found a copy of Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi at a charity shop. Bargain. Been wanting to read this for ages - just in time for my holiday! #cheerfulreading

I would love to read that myself. Really need to start looking around charity shops again!

The History of the Russian Revolution by Leon Trotsky.

It is very heavy reading and requires your full attention, but it is totally absorbing. It is by far the best book I have read about the Russian crisis in the early twentieth century.

Been reading some books on Robin Williams. You never know the torment some people are going through. Extremely sad read.

Going on the turn, Part 3 of Danny bakers biography,as always proper laugh out loud funny,only got delivered to my kindle this morning,but cheered the day up no end

Finally got my book finished. 'Father, Son and the Pennine Way.' 5 days and 90 miles on the Pennine Way with my youngest son. The experiences we shared, what we learned about each other - and how I came to walk a mile in my underpants. "Brilliantly written, insightful, brutally honest and laugh out loud funny." £2.99 on the Kindle. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0764KSVK8
[Sorry for the shameless self-promotion...]

Finally got my book finished. 'Father, Son and the Pennine Way.' 5 days and 90 miles on the Pennine Way with my youngest son. The experiences we shared, what we learned about each other - and how I came to walk a mile in my underpants. "Brilliantly written, insightful, brutally honest and laugh out loud funny." £2.99 on the Kindle. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0764KSVK8
[Sorry for the shameless self-promotion...]

Off for a few days and this book is coming with me :)

Just downloaded it,it'll be read after the Danny baker book Ive got on the go

I would recommend Norman's book to everyone, it's a cracking read. Wrote in a way that is funny,witty,interesting, and he makes you feel like you are taking every step with them. A joy to read. Thank you.

Augmented my Judge Dredd collection by finally getting The Cursed Earth uncensored with the two issues that somewhat flagrantly breached the IP rights of Burger King, McDonalds, KFC and Green Giant included. I have been wanting dead tree copies of those issues since I read them as a junior school kid, and the originals are not cheap, so pleased to finally get hold of copies in an omnibus.

My 2000AD reprint collection is getting pretty huge now. Got at least twenty five volumes of Dredd, Judge Anderson complete, Rogue Trooper four volumes, Strontium Dog 4 volumes, Nemesis the Warlock 3 volumes, and also a bit of Slaine.

Still a great comic even now, but the early years were magnificent.

If you like crime fiction, with a Black Country setting, Angela Marsons' books are real page-turners.

Back