• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Burnley 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I think in his time at Wolves we've seen perfectly well why Sarabia has played for some top sides and ultimately why he's never been indispensable to them and they've all ended up letting him go at some point. He's got plenty of talent but he's also prone to being flaky as fuck, top sides can carry that to an extent and then usually have the luxury of an equally talented player to take his place when it becomes intolerable.
He looks to me like a good player when he has talented players around him to link with, and a club with better players than everyone else. But if he has to make something happen himself he's not really good enough. Probably why he did well at PSG and Sporting but did not a lot elsewhere.

He looks to me like a good player when he has talented players around him to link with, and a club with better players than everyone else. But if he has to make something happen himself he's not really good enough. Probably why he did well at PSG and Sporting but did not a lot elsewhere.

For the first part... Are we really criticising him for not flourishing in a front line which contains a career defensive midfielder, a career left wing back and an 18 year old kid? His performances when part of an attack containing 2/3 of Neto/Cunha/Hwang/Bellegarde have been more than good enough, in fact he's created chances at a higher rate than most forwards outside the top 6, but it's only natural for his performances to slide when he's playing alongside weaker players.

As for him not doing a lot elsewhere... He was excellent for Getafe (as a kid), Sevilla and through the Spanish youth systems so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I'm not sure what else he can do really. He's part of the 'leadership team' but he's never been one to carry a whole team on his back. All this criticism of him lately has been massively unfair IMO.

For the first part... Are we really criticising him for not flourishing in a front line which contains a career defensive midfielder, a career left wing back and an 18 year old kid? His performances when part of an attack containing 2/3 of Neto/Cunha/Hwang/Bellegarde have been more than good enough, in fact he's created chances at a higher rate than most forwards outside the top 6, but it's only natural for his performances to slide when he's playing alongside weaker players.

As for him not doing a lot elsewhere... He was excellent for Getafe (as a kid), Sevilla and through the Spanish youth systems so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I'm not sure what else he can do really. He's part of the 'leadership team' but he's never been one to carry a whole team on his back. All this criticism of him lately has been massively unfair IMO.
Thats all valid, but it seems pretty clear he actively doesn't want to pass to Chiwome or Fraser and, as Alan would say, thats bad optics especially when they alternative has been to give it away

I'm saying he hasn't hit the heights of previous clubs at Wolves for whatever reason. His flaws are there to see for all. I already said he plays better alongside stronger players, but even then his attacking output is still left a little wanting in terms of goals/assists.

Before the forward line died, hadn't he more assists per minute than any other PL player? I wouldn't criticise his play from that Tottenham game up until the Fulham one, when imo his lack of faith in those selected has been to the detriment to those kids and the wider team

Having just checked his stats he's done ok. Probably needs to score a few more goals though. He should be getting 5 a season.

I'm saying he hasn't hit the heights of previous clubs at Wolves for whatever reason. His flaws are there to see for all. I already said he plays better alongside stronger players, but even then his attacking output is still left a little wanting in terms of goals/assists.

That's not what you said though, you said he hadn't done a lot outside PSG/Sporting which just wasn't true.

His output has been excellent really so the second part just isn't true either.

On the not passing to Fraser/Chiwome thing...

I haven't watched the Villa & Burnley games so I can't really dispute that it happened but what I will say is that I doubt it's because Sarabia thinks they're shit and doesn't want to give them the ball like he's the best player on the playground refusing to pass to the weedy kid who got picked last.

Probably more to do with a forward line that hasn't played together before and contains players with a lack of experience in forward areas or men's football at all. There are going to be misplaced passes, bad decisions and missed opportunities. That sort of thing happens to any forward line that has been thrown together like ours has, regardless of individual quality.

I think it's incredibly unfair to criticise any part of our team too heavily at this stage, or indeed any part of the club below Jeff Shi.

His frustration is absolutely understandable, I just wish it didn't look so often like he's taking it out on the kids themselves, who deserve the stick least of anyone.

Thats all valid, but it seems pretty clear he actively doesn't want to pass to Chiwome or Fraser and, as Alan would say, thats bad optics especially when they alternative has been to give it away
It's bad optics, and he shouldn't be doing it. But I can understand it, they've been a possession vacuum.

It's not just Sarabia not passing to the youngsters though. In the Coventry game, it was clear no-one was passing to Fraser.

His frustration is absolutely understandable, I just wish it didn't look so often like he's taking it out on the kids themselves, who deserve the stick least of anyone.

I think no matter the 'optics' (again, I haven't watched the last 2 games so not arguing about what it looked like) this is where you have to give the benefit of the doubt to a guy with an exemplary career and a reputation as a thoroughly professional player and brilliant teammate.

If Pablo Sarabia is going out onto a football pitch thinking 'I'm not passing to that guy, he's shite' it would be massively out of character.

I've been surprised by it, for sure.

We're all interpreting from a birds-eye view so who knows the truth of it, really.

I certainly.havent noticed it to the extent a lot of others are saying. He's always been one to flap his arms about, and against Coventry he was furious over the allowance of their handball goal, there was a lot of windmills then.

I certainly.havent noticed it to the extent a lot of others are saying. He's always been one to flap his arms about, and against Coventry he was furious over the allowance of their handball goal, there was a lot of windmills then.
Lads from La Mancha love a windmill.

with regard to mario, i think he's using the "little squad comment" to additionally build up the players effort.

Back