• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Burnley (A) 2/4: Build-Up & Match Thread

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Given that 3 of our remaining 9 games are against the top three and we already have a deficit to make up, this is a game where we have to be getting something if we're to maintain the chances of Europe.

They've shown a bit more fight recently and unfortunately for us have finally dropped 13 year old James Trafford, but they have the worst home record in the division for a reason. Fofana will be available for them after missing Saturday's game due to being on loan from Chelsea, Assignon will be banned after a very harsh red card and I'm not sure if Kompany will have to sit in the stands after also being sent off.

Victims here of a truly baffling broadcasting decision; a midweek round where TNT have the rights to all the games but they've chosen to show 8 rather than 10 and we are one of the two to miss out, so no TV coverage in the UK. If they wanted to show 5 or even 6 then that's fine, but just to miss out 2? Why?

No more experimenting with Lemina further forwards please, it worked well for a half against Fulham but has been a dismal failure in the two games afterwards, we're wasting one of our best players doing that.

Turf Moor is not a happy hunting ground for us in recent years.

---------------------------Sa-------------------

--------------S Bueno----Kilman----Toti----------

Semedo------Doyle----Lemina----J Gomes-----H Bueno

------------------Cunha*-----Ait-Nouri-------------------

*Please be fit to play an hour or so

2023/24: W 1-0 (H)
2021/22: D 0-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2020/21: L 0-4 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2019/20: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2018/19: W 1-0 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2015/16: D 0-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2012/13: L 1-2 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2009/10: W 2-0 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2008/09: W 2-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2007/08: L 2-3 (H), W 3-1 (A)
2006/07: W 2-1 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2005/06: L 0-1 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2004/05: W 2-0 (H), D 1-1 (A), D 1-1 (A, LC, lost on pens)
2003/04: W 2-0 (H, LC)
2002/03: W 3-0 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2001/02: W 3-0 (H), W 3-2 (A)
2000/01: W 1-0 (H), W 2-1 (A)
1994/95: W 2-0 (H), W 1-0 (A)

I think we have to win 2 of our next 3 to keep Europe a realistic proposition. From the OP I'd probably keep Sarabia instead of Doyle, but he couldn't complain about being dropped, his attitude and play in the last 2 games have been poor.

Absolute must win. Although West Ham have kept things interesting by going completely to pot.

There are 3 people on the scorers quiz that you could have given me another 24 hours and I would still not have gotten! I do love those quizzes for giving me some perspective.

Last edited:
I've wanted us to play those 3 in the CM for each of the last 3 games, but GON seems against it.

Has he started a game with it this season?

Brighton in the cup
And it worked (largely) if we'd have gone with it against Coventry I feel we'd have won.

Last night, perhaps not, but it just feels like we'd be getting our best 11 on the pitch in largely their best positions.

Playing one of the teenage strikers is like playing with 10 men they are so far off.

And it worked (largely) if we'd have gone with it against Coventry I feel we'd have won.

Last night, perhaps not, but it just feels like we'd be getting our best 11 on the pitch in largely their best positions.
I sort of get him sticking with Lemina further forward vs Cov as he was dynamite vs Fulham. But we can now see that was a bit of an adrenaline-fuelled one off, it isn't the answer to anything.

I mean he may as well have given his brother 20 minutes there yesterday, the game was gone, what harm could it have done.

Yeah I certainly didn't feel it was a bad decision regarding Lemina pre Coventry game. The experiment should have been over by half time though.

Agree about Noah, if we are throwing on the other kids with far less pedigree, why not him?

Matheus Cunha is expected to make his return to the Wolves squad as they face Burnley tomorrow night.

On the back of a West Midlands derby loss to Villa, Wolves have been handed a major boost by the return of the Brazilian international.

The forward was close to being included at Villa and barring any setbacks in training, he will make the squad tomorrow just seven weeks after a significant hamstring injury.

"I think we'll see him on Tuesday and he'll definitely be in the match day squad," O'Neil said.

"He's miles ahead of schedule. When the scan results came through after the injury it was expected to be 10-12 weeks and it's just over seven and he's doing absolutely everything.

"He was knocking my door down to be involved in the Aston Villa game, but we had to make sure it was right for him.

"We've had some setbacks already this season from injuries. You have medical information that tells us he shouldn't quite be ready yet and then we have Matheus Cunha who looks ready and tells me he's ready.

"He rang me about four times this week at 9.30pm or 10pm telling me how ready he is, but I want to help him because we need to make sure we tick off enough boxes.

"He did a great session on the grass on Friday and he was able to test his hamstring, which puts him in a great spot for Tuesday night and into next Saturday.

"It's important we don't let the situation change the decisions we make. It's still the same regardless of whether we have 11 available or 24 available.

"We need to be clear on making good decisions and he's still miles ahead of schedule, but he looks 100 per cent ready, so lets see how quickly we can get him in."

Cunha was also in contention to play against Coventry in the FA Cup before the international break, but O'Neil has taken a cautious approach with the forward's return.

Wolves also have Jean-Ricner Bellegarde, Craig Dawson, Hwang Hee-chan and Pedro Neto sidelined – with the latter suffering a big setback that has likely ended his season.

When asked if Neto's situation impacted the cautious approach with Cunha, O'Neil added: "They're different situations because the medical reports on Pedro were that he was fine, whereas the medical reports on Cunha are that he shouldn't be fine yet.

"But he's doing everything that makes it look like he's ready to play in the Premier League.

"Me and him take these decisions together. He wanted to be involved (against Villa) but I told him I'd leave him out so that he can get boxes ticked and look towards Tuesday.

"We understand the risks and hindsight will tell us if we're wrong or right, but we're doing the best we can for Cunha and the football club."

Dawson also has a small chance of being involved tomorrow following a groin complaint, while Bellegarde is not yet close to a return after a knee injury.

"Bellegarde no, Daws possibly," O'Neil said.

"He was doing a session outside (on Saturday), so possibly. But Bellegarde will not be available."

Considering all of Wolves' injury concerns and despite Burnley's relegation battle, the Clarets will be a stern test under the lights at Turf Moor.

"There's definitely no easy games, especially with the situation we find ourselves in," O'Neil said.

"Going to Burnley will be tough, of course. It doesn't mean we accept we can't have a big impact on how it goes and take three points, because we definitely can.

"We're desperate to go there and win and get to 44 points. We'll do everything to recover the players and make sure they're ready.

"Burnley got a great result at Chelsea with 10 men and they're a good Premier League team who spent a lot of money in the summer. They will be a test for us."

Gotta say it feels like we're rushing Cunha back a bit too early to me.

Back