• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Burnley (Carabao Cup 2nd Round): Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
Completely dominant performance, with a few staking a good claim for Forest on Saturday.

Guedes MOTM - Great movement and work rate with two good finishes.

A few players staked a Claim

Lima
Guedes
Doyle
Podence
Chiquino

The only one I think should come into the team is Dawson to be honest.

Guedes did look sharp at times. Doyle played well too I thought. Lima is clearly a talent.

Burnley were so poor.

Only criticism is that we didn't score more goals. Miles better than Burnley but lacking killer instinct. Well done Guedes on the two he finished. Wish RAN had scored after that run. And, no mistakes from Bennett is the real bonus.

Wouldn’t be looking to let many (if any) of the 11 that started tonight go in this window, if I’m honest (apart from Bentley who had absolutely nothing to do and we know he’s nowhere near the quality required). Out of the others, Chiquinho looked the furthest off being “PL ready”. He did plenty of running & is direct, but his control always seems a bit loose.

We need some depth and genuine competition across all areas of the squad and I wouldn’t be too concerned with any of them stepping off the bench in small doses, or if any of them have to start the odd match here & there. The only one I’d actively be suggesting starts any time soon is Dawson, though.

Lots to like about Lima. Didn’t really get a chance to see him defensively tonight, as Burnley were woeful, but going forward he looks great. Loads of potential there, loves following shots in & seems to have a good cross on him.

Fair play to Guedes tonight. Obviously there’s still huge question marks over him, and whether he wants to be here, but I’d prefer him coming in/on ahead of any of the kids. I actually thought he worked tirelessly tonight and showed good attitude - loads of running off the ball, and he’s got some lovely movement. Plus that second goal was delicious. Be interesting to see what happens with him - same with Podence. I still expect at least one of them to go.

Nice comfortable evening, which is very unlike us. I’ll say it again though, Burnley were terrible.

Watched it on Skysports+, had no appetite for being at Molineux tonight, as comfortable a victory as you’re gonna get, obviously nothing like the team that will start on Saturday
A good indication of how poor the Championship is nowadays.

The only one I think should come into the team is Dawson to be honest.

Guedes did look sharp at times. Doyle played well too I thought. Lima is clearly a talent.

Burnley were so poor.
It’s whistling in the wind but Lima should be in too, alongside Dawson. He looks good. Also agree that Burnley were poor. Others looked OK, though I’m permanently sceptical about why folk rate Doyle, but against such a low standard it was easier to be underwhelmed by Bellegarde and Hwang than convinced by players whose issues lie with proving it in demanding circumstances.

It's difficult to draw many conclusions as Burnley were so poor and offered no attacking threat whatsoever. Some players certainly increased their stock with decent performances and should certainly be in consideration for PL playing time.

Among them you'd say Dawson, Bueno, Doyle and Guedes did the most to give GON food for thought, and Lima is one to think about but may find the PL a different animal. I wouldn't object to keeping all of them in the squad.

On the flip side, in the short time he was on I thought Hwang has reverted to being garbage and I wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting line-up. Similar with Sarabia, who even against the tame opposition Burnley provided, contributed the square root of fuck all.

I’d have Lima on the bench but semedo needs to come in
Yes, I agree. Give the lad a bit of time. Dawson makes our defence a lot calmer. RAN played like he had a point to prove.
two goals aside, still have doubts about Guedes.

Sarabia did ok first half. Decent deliveries and linked up ok. Was anonymous after that though.

Only criticism is that we didn't score more goals. Miles better than Burnley but lacking killer instinct. Well done Guedes on the two he finished. Wish RAN had scored after that run. And, no mistakes from Bennett is the real bonus.
Ryan or Tom? ;)

Didn't really learn a lot tonight, Burnley were as poor a team as I've seen for quite a while.

Lima looks a cracking technical player and not far off ready for the main squad.

Guedes looked sharp and took his goals well.

Hwang, Bellegarde, Doc and Toti managed to make us worse by a considerable distance which is shameful from supposed first team players. What is GoN thinking picking them?

Sarabia did ok first half. Decent deliveries and linked up ok. Was anonymous after that though.
Made at least two brilliant off the ball runs that were completely missed by his teammates in the first half too. Know how he likes to throw a strop when his colleagues don't match his "brilliance" wouldn't be surprised if that effected his effort later on in the game.

Defence were a million times better - the whole team seemed way more composed. As Johnny said above - the first teamers brought in made the team worse. Dawson HAS to start.

Back