• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

WBA (H) - 16/1 Build up and Match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nuno said in his presser today that Boly will start tomorrow. Good news.

Wonder if that means we’ll start with three at the back. Can’t see him dropping Saiss or Coady, or moving either of those in to midfield.
I reckon 3-5-2, his happy place. To start with anyway. A clean sheet is on Nuno's mind first and foremost.

From elsewhere, team is....

Patricio

Semedo
Coady
Boly
Saiss

Dendoncker
Neves
Moutinho

Adama
Silva
Neto

Patricio

Semedo
Coady
Boly
Saiss

Dendoncker
Neves
Moutinho

Adama
Silva
Neto
Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Marries what he said about clean sheets and defending set pieces better.
I’d just be glad Neto and Traore were in there. We all want Cutrone to start but we don’t know his physical condition just yet

It's definitely consistent with keeping a clean sheet being the priority, but we know Saiss at left back doesn't work offensively, still has Donck spannering the ball wherever when being the one expected to break into the box and Fabio being Fabio. It'd be reliant on a Neto or Adama piece of brilliance

I'm hoping for Cutrone to start tbh. I think Silva needs some time away from the starting 11. If Nuno has assessed Cutrone over the last week or so and he's no good then we seriously need to bring someone in.

Hopefully Boly will be back to his imperious best and Saiss on the left will provide some solid fullback play we've been missing.

Not that keen on Saiss at LB, but hopefully does make us more solid and will help massively to have him and Boly for set pieces.

Still, playing with 10 3/4 is going to put us at a serious disadvantage.

That 4-3-3 is dreadful. It might still be enough because the opposition are worse.

If Vitinha (or MGW) can’t play in an injury crisis against the worst team in the league who are just going to park the bus, when can he play.

I don’t mind Saiss at LB in a 4, he’s a competent footballer not you’re typical CB shoved out wide. But doing that should allow you to play someone like MGW in the 10.

This is a typical Nuno safety first approach. Which we often got away with having someone like Raul in the team. But we don’t at the moment so as TT says we’re looking for something special from the other two. Not how I’d be setting up against the worst team in the league in a “must win game”.

It’s more defensive than the team we played against Everton which had an xG of 0.3. This is Abion who have score 11 goals all season FFS.

Probably jumping the gun and it’s a load of bollocks. But it wouldn’t surprise me. I’ve got nothing else to do to kill time other than moan about something that hasn’t happened yet. Blame it on the nerves.

The xg against everton was 0.85, Everton’s was 0.32
I think that’s his point. We don’t need to be more defensive against a team who offer even less attacking threat

I think it is just a move to ensure we defend set pieces properly (no guarantees IMO). Wouldn’t say it’s a less attacking team though, it’s a proper front 3 this time for a start. It’s just Saiss at left back, and the flat midfield 3 that will limit us but so did the line up against Everton

Probably jumping the gun and it’s a load of bollocks. But it wouldn’t surprise me. I’ve got nothing else to do to kill time other than moan about something that hasn’t happened yet. Blame it on the nerves.
The poster on MM has been spot on so far with the line ups....

I think that’s his point. We don’t need to be more defensive against a team who offer even less attacking threat

I think it is just a move to ensure we defend set pieces properly (no guarantees IMO). Wouldn’t say it’s a less attacking team though, it’s a proper front 3 this time for a start. It’s just Saiss at left back, and the flat midfield 3 that will limit us but so did the line up against Everton
Ah ok, I misread then.

I figure he wants the extra height for set pieces both in our box and offensively - Albions biggest danger will probably be set pieces, and Saiss has been our biggest danger for ours, so makes sense.

I am nervous about the central midfield though, there’s not a huge amount there to open them up, we could just play it around in front of them. Hope Moutinho has a good day creatively.

big call to put Fabio in too, I hope he gets a goal today.

Patricio

Semedo
Coady
Boly
Saiss

Dendoncker
Neves
Moutinho

Adama
Silva
Neto

Aside from Raul and Jonny this is probably our strongest team player wise, so this is what we have. Obviously the formation, mentality and how those players are used is another thing.

Saiss at LB wasn't the abberation I thought it could be when I saw it earlier in the season. It removes an attacking outlet for us, but he'll help in both boxes, so there is that.

Ah ok, I misread then.

I figure he wants the extra height for set pieces both in our box and offensively - Albions biggest danger will probably be set pieces, and Saiss has been our biggest danger for ours, so makes sense.

I am nervous about the central midfield though, there’s not a huge amount there to open them up, we could just play it around in front of them. Hope Moutinho has a good day creatively.

big call to put Fabio in too, I hope he gets a goal today.
Agree, midfield is not my ideal one but as you say, needs Joao to open them up.

on Silva/-Cutrone situation, it may just be that Cutrone isn’t up to speed yet and it’s a risk to start him. He’s not had a lot of game time in recent months at all. Last thing we need is him getting injured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back