• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Spurs (H) 4/3: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not great at following Twitter spats, so if this isn't correct then I apologise, but it appears that Wolves were prepared to have a bloke come into the centre circle tomorrow and howl. It's now not happening
To put some context behind it. Kevin who makes harmless videos of him howling like a Wolf and doesn’t hide the fact he’s disabled, tweeted he wouldn’t mind howling in the centre circle. Wolves matchday team replied obliging and it brought the usual cretins out of the woodwork on Twitter.

To put some context behind it. Kevin who makes harmless videos of him howling like a Wolf and doesn’t hide the fact he’s disabled, tweeted he wouldn’t mind howling in the centre circle. Wolves matchday team replied obliging and it brought the usual cretins out of the woodwork on Twitter.
Some people get overly wound up about very inconsequential things, I include myself who absolutely detests twitter even though I've never been on it.

I don't really think Podence is a #10, I'm sure Lage tried him there more than once and it looked shit (but then it was Lage, and it was Podence, where you never know what you're going to get).

Cunha fits that role though you'd think, and we absolutely have to get Sarabia involved more centrally. If he's parked right out wide as he was last night then he won't look any good.
I still don't think we have any real options there (#10) which is why we've seen Moutinho or Nunes start there so often. I think Sarabia is probably our best, but he works better coming inside higher up the pitch. Given we have so many 6's and 8's ,even if players leave, it's a hole that needs fixing. 4-3-3 is probably our best formation and we're missing runs into the box.

Sa
Semedo Collins Dawson RAN
Lemina Neves
Sarabia Cunha Neto
Raul

Start on the front foot and try to put them under pressure.

Wouldn't be opposed to Sarabia and Cunha swapping, I don't think Sarabia is athletic enough to play wider in the PL.

Sa
Semedo Collins Dawson RAN
Lemina Neves
Sarabia Cunha Neto
Raul

Start on the front foot and try to put them under pressure.

Wouldn't be opposed to Sarabia and Cunha swapping, I don't think Sarabia is athletic enough to play wider in the PL.
I'd like to see that team but sadly it isn't going to happen.

I'd like to see that team but sadly it isn't going to happen.

Neto probably not ready and Lopetegui obviously likes Kilman but the rest picks itself really. The issue becomes Nunes playing as some inverted left winger instead of us actually putting a wide player there. It worked well against Liverpool at home but since hasnt really been so effective.

One thing I've taken away from recent games is that Raul can no longer play up front on his own, and we looked decent with Cunha up alongside him. We have to play those two up top together from now on whenever possible.

Neto probably not ready and Lopetegui obviously likes Kilman but the rest picks itself really. The issue becomes Nunes playing as some inverted left winger instead of us actually putting a wide player there. It worked well against Liverpool at home but since hasnt really been so effective.
Not really sure Nunes has particularly worked anywhere tbh. He's had a few nice moments where he glides past players but his passing is atrocious.

Certainly not had the impact we needed him to (I'd still start him, would rather watch him at least challenge for the ball instead of the current version of Adama, which doesn't challenge and is no longer explosive).

One thing I've taken away from recent games is that Raul can no longer play up front on his own, and we looked decent with Cunha up alongside him. We have to play those two up top together from now on whenever possible.
Totally agree, given the quality of our current forwards we need players to be supporting each other near the box and imo the only way to do that is two up front.

Not really sure Nunes has particularly worked anywhere tbh. He's had a few nice moments where he glides past players but his passing is atrocious.

Certainly not had the impact we needed him to (I'd still start him, would rather watch him at least challenge for the ball instead of the current version of Adama, which doesn't challenge and is no longer explosive).

He's done alright when he's been able to come deep and get on the ball. We don't seem to be able to put a midfield together that plays to his strengths which is a big issue. Before Lemina I'd have played him and Neves as a 2 in a 4231 but no way would I drop Mario now.

At what point do we start playing Gomes ahead of Nunes in our central 3?

He'll get forward to support just as much if not more, and he'll give some extra bite and energy in the middle rather than a languid player who occasionally goes past someone.

A rough 442 has delivered the best performances I've seen so far under Lopetegui, it's always been a bit of a bodge because you don't have everything you need to do it properly but it seems to suit majority better than the alternatives.

Much like the back three under Nuno being a bit of a safety blanket for centre halves who needed the numbers to cover their deficiencies I think you need that now at the other end. None of the forward options look suitable up top alone for one reason or another so give them some support by default rather than expecting the sort of movement this squad has never delivered. Some will argue 433 should prevent anyone being alone up top but as we've seen countless times pretty much every wide option players closer to the touchline than the goal and there aren't the midfield options available to provide the balance to prevent that being a big flat block in the middle of the park.

He's done alright when he's been able to come deep and get on the ball. We don't seem to be able to put a midfield together that plays to his strengths which is a big issue. Before Lemina I'd have played him and Neves as a 2 in a 4231 but no way would I drop Mario now.
He'd be great next to Lemina in a double pivot but obviously you're never going to drop Rúben. If Neves leaves and Matheus stays I'd be more than happy with that as a first choice pairing with Gomes & Bouba as back up.

Interesting that we've been linked with players like Ugarte & Vinícius Souza who would be direct replacements for Neves in terms of position if not style of play.

I hate him, you hate him, most people hate him but Podence looks more likely to score a goal than any other player we have. In a team that doesn't score many I don't think we can afford to not start him. It's not like whoever plays instead is a goal threat .
Why all the hate? Chill man.

Well, if I picked 10 different starting 11s, I’m not sure I would’ve ever come up with this 11!

Neto and Costa start, Jimenez and Moutinho drop out. Jonny in at left back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back