• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Bargain at £10m. Bet he's glad he came to Wolves now!

That's a really good sign: dount he would have committed without an inkling that Nuno was going to stay

Does anybody else think that the Villa 'rivalry' is just manufactured nonsense?

I just can't escape the feeling that it's something that a portion of our fans have just dreamt up by dint of the geographical closeness of the clubs. Like the Palace/Brighton thing. We've never been rivals. For most of our supporting lives they've been miles better, and an irrelevance - and now the shoe's on the other foot.

The needle with blues, baggies, Bolton, even Stoke...that's what real rivalries were, because we were always getting in each other's way in the league, on top of them all being a wall to wall club of cuntery.

It'll be nice for them to go down, and make it even more abundantly clear that we're top dogs in the region, but the amount of arguments I've had with people last week, who actively want our positional rivals to beat villa just to scratch this bullshit rivalry itch is frankly mental. I could half understand it if it was albion - though I'd still disagree - but at least you'd be able to understand that it's a desire born from decades of intense rivalry, rather than this conflated bollocks.

They happen to be shit now, they happen to be local. But they ain't rivals.

Or is it just me? Tbf even if it *is* just me, it just means you're all wrong :icon_lol:

I went to school with a lot of Villa fans what with the catchment area seeping south from Walsall towards Birmingham. A lot of dickheads who had a deluded sense of what the club was (and nice to see them put in their place when Yorke jumped at the very first offer) but they really weren't on my radar personally. We hardly ever played them. Albion has always been the rivalry although that's tinted with a bit of grudging respect. Blues I just don't like, mainly because of their tinpot ground and horrible fans, plus they had Gold, Sullivan and Brady there for years.

The Villa stuff ramped up in 2017/18 as we were direct rivals but also because all of Xia, Wyness and Bruce were total fucking pricks. But they've all gone now.

So while I'd find it amusing if they went down, principally as they thought they were back to claim their spot as top dogs last summer, and I'd like to see Grealish cry on live TV (two great performances so far by the way, skipper), they don't mean that much to me. And I certainly want them to beat those teams in and around us if they can, though it's a forlorn hope as they are a proper shit team with a manager who looks more exposed by the week.

Yeah, the Villa stuff we're seeing at the moment is far more to do with their conduct in 2017/18 than it is with any long-standing enmity.

Christ, but I hated the Villa that season.

I've had years of family members feeling sorry for me because I support Wolves and they're Villa fans and I can't say that I'm not enjoying the way things are going at the moment... It's been a long time coming!

I didn't like the way they behaved in 2017/18 and would love them to drop this season to see if the FA have the balls to make an example of them but that's about it

I didn’t care about Villa until 17/18. But now I do and I want them to go down.

I don’t really get involved in the “hoping they beat this rival”. The results will happen regardless of what I think. They aren’t very good and are very likely to lose every time they play anyone outside the bottom half.

Ideally I wanted them to draw yesterday, but I can enjoy them losing. Like I’ve said, it’s what we do which is going to affect where we finish. If we really think we are a top 4 team then we should have no issues with winning 5 out the last 8 and even then that probably won’t be enough for 4th.

I'd generally quite liked Villa over the years, always felt that in some ways Wolves and Villa were allies against Albion and Blues, but 17/18 season i fucking hated them!

That's pretty much faded now, and much as i'd like them to go down, i certainly wanted them to beat United and Chelsea, fucking mindless to think otherwise IMO.

I've disliked Villa for 40years. Comfortably more kids supported them at school than anybody else, they've always had a sense of entitlement. I dislike Albion based on tribalism whereas Villa is personal and I passionately hope they go down. They haven't had anywhere near enough pain yet.

Similar to the rest, being patronised by smug villa fans for 30+ years grates after a while.

Wouldn't have really called it rivalry until 17/18 though (much more stoke & albion here), but I do very much enjoy watching them struggle and their 'fans' realise they are nowhere near where we are. Would be fantastic to see them get relegated and get given a good shoeing by the EFL.

Some of the Facebook Wolves groups have members who seem to be obsessed with them. I personally don't mind them, most people I know who support them are of an older age where we can have a decent conversation.

I just can't escape the feeling that it's something that a portion of our fans have just dreamt up by dint of the geographical closeness of the clubs. Like the Palace/Brighton thing. We've never been rivals. For most of our supporting lives they've been miles better, and an irrelevance - and now the shoe's on the other foot.

The needle with blues, baggies, Bolton, even Stoke...that's what real rivalries were, because we were always getting in each other's way in the league, on top of them all being a wall to wall club of cuntery.

It'll be nice for them to go down, and make it even more abundantly clear that we're top dogs in the region, but the amount of arguments I've had with people last week, who actively want our positional rivals to beat villa just to scratch this bullshit rivalry itch is frankly mental. I could half understand it if it was albion - though I'd still disagree - but at least you'd be able to understand that it's a desire born from decades of intense rivalry, rather than this conflated bollocks.

Or is it just me? Tbf even if it *is* just me, it just means you're all wrong :icon_lol:

Agree with every word of this. They'll never stoop to the levels of loathing I have for Bolton or Blues. TBH if I had to choose between Villa and Bournemouth for relegation this season, I'd choose that cheating pile of shithouses from the south coast for the drop 100 times out of 100. (And yes, whynotboth.gif).

Some of the Facebook Wolves groups have members who seem to be obsessed with them. I personally don't mind them, most people I know who support them are of an older age where we can have a decent conversation.

A lot of it is very social media driven for sure. I don't really get involved in that side of things although I did used to like pointing out what total shite Bruce spewed out.

I do against Villa. Don't really against WBA but I think that's because my friends growing up were either Wolves or Albion so I guess it's more friendly rivalry... Villa can get to shit along with Liverpool.

I'd never had any problem with Villa until the season we went up. I remember quite liking them as a kid - I wanted them to win the league in 1993.

However, they were such pricks when we won the Championship that I really dislike them now. Not on a Blues/Bolton level (I dislike both those teams more than Albion) but I'd love to see them go down.

Back