• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-Wolf Watch

My issue with that one is why the hell was he playing in that position in the first place?

He moves to Famalição to play as an attacking midfielder, looks amazing and then explodes the season afterwards playing for Amorim's Sporting as an inside forward in a formation similar to Nuno's at Wolves.

Sporting have on occasion (usually due to injuries) played him as one of the central midfielders and he's looked exactly as you described, pretty safe but nothing special. I don't get how you can look at his qualities and play him anywhere other than in an attacking role.
I suppose at the time we had the U23s (as was) exactly mirroring the first team's formation. So Marques was playing like a Junior Coady (and that then ended up being wasted when we no longer wanted the real thing). And any CM would have been mirroring Neves, Saiss (in 17/18) or Moutinho in a 3-4-3. There was no attacking midfielder as such and I don't think he ever looked like a Jota/Cavaleiro type at any point. Nuno also never even watched the Academy games in person and gave scant consideration to bringing any of them through.

We got it wrong but I can forgive them that, it's not one where we were clearly making an error at the time.

Nuno was just never going to alter things so much over one player, save Messi himself walking in.

Our "wingers" that season were Adama, Podence, and Neto, who I don't really see as analogues to Vitinha. Daniel (Podence, not Deutsch) maybe you could make a case, although I despise him and wouldn't want to sully Vitinha's honor with the comparison.

Edit: Oh, y'all weren't talking about Vitinha anymore :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Yeah 5 league starts mainly on the left from memory, the exception being the Albion game when he ran the show from the middle until he tired.

I can see why we didn't sign him, but that was because of not seeing enough of him, not because of what he'd done in the rare opportunities he got. Essentially making a decision based on the opinion of a manager you sacked, but muddled thinking was the norm in that period.

No-one had Goncalves down as what he'd become, honestly, no-one.
I did mention in the very post you searched hard to make your point for that he's very Moutinho and being played as a winger didn't suit him.

On that I was right.

Last edited:
It's not to say that no one thought he'd make it as a player (I also praise him a little bit on that page). It's that no one saw him as a 15-20 goal a season man. Probably not even himself.

I did read something the other week about Portugal's Euros contenders and there seems to be a school of thought that Martinez doesn't fancy him because if he doesn't score then he doesn't really do anything else. That's like a Bizarro Moutinho :D

It's not to say that no one thought he'd make it as a player (I also praise him a little bit on that page). It's that no one saw him as a 15-20 goal a season man. Probably not even himself.
Oh yes, I agree with that bit, I thought he'd be a central midfielder. Turns out he's very Sarabia.
I did read something the other week about Portugal's Euros contenders and there seems to be a school of thought that Martinez doesn't fancy him because if he doesn't score then he doesn't really do anything else. That's like a Bizarro Moutinho :D
That's just nuts.

I suppose at the time we had the U23s (as was) exactly mirroring the first team's formation. So Marques was playing like a Junior Coady (and that then ended up being wasted when we no longer wanted the real thing). And any CM would have been mirroring Neves, Saiss (in 17/18) or Moutinho in a 3-4-3. There was no attacking midfielder as such and I don't think he ever looked like a Jota/Cavaleiro type at any point. Nuno also never even watched the Academy games in person and gave scant consideration to bringing any of them through.

We got it wrong but I can forgive them that, it's not one where we were clearly making an error at the time.
Well he's obviously a very different style but he plays in a very similar position to Jota/Cav did at Wolves under Nuno.

Get him in and around the box and he's magic. Always a step ahead of his defender, makes really good, quick decisions and an absolutely ruthless finisher. I don't know how we had him in our academy for as long as we did and failed to identify those characteristics in him.

Ryan Bennett released by Cambridge. Played 40+ games this season in L1 and has only just turned 34 so you'd think he can find a year or two somewhere else if he wants to.

Others released so far are Jamie Pardington (Cheltenham) and David Davis (Forest Green).

Ryan Bennett released by Cambridge. Played 40+ games this season in L1 and has only just turned 34 so you'd think he can find a year or two somewhere else if he wants to.

Others released so far are Jamie Pardington (Cheltenham) and David Davis (Forest Green).
Always amazed me how some our fans rated DD so highly. To me he always looked miles short even in the Championship.

Think when he first played at the back of 2011/12 in the PL (when we were basically done) he was at least something a bit different from the core that had grown old and tired together over the course of years, and there was a fair bit of enthusiastic (if ineffective) effort there.

Once we dropped down he was a weird player. Always prone to chucking in a 10-15 minute spell where he morphed into a parks level player and gradually offered less and less on the ball. Ken made his mind up on him fairly quickly IIRC.

Yeah he never looked better than that first appearance against City, but our midfield had been so woefully short that season that anyone who could move and tackle just a bit looked like an upgrade.

He was supposed to be Henry's replacement, unfortunately he took on all of the unsavoury elements and none of the positive, particularly when he was at Blues

Read today Lee Evans been released by Plymouth after winning promotion, after signing a 2 month deal and helping them over the line.

Yep, your correct as usual. Got mixed up watching his namesake about 10 years ago at the Plymouth pavilion.

Aaron Hayden released by Wrexham
Steven Fletcher though has been offered a new deal

Back