• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

I think that our fellow member @Johnny75 predicted that investment companies would come in and sweep up properties.

Does this mean that it's going to cost all of us as investment companies will charge higher rents and taxpayers will pick up the part of the bill through housing benefit?
Until rent controls are brought in then that's exactly what will happen.

Starmer has to impose these controls and stop bleating on about building houses.

I think that our fellow member @Johnny75 predicted that investment companies would come in and sweep up properties.

Does this mean that it's going to cost all of us as investment companies will charge higher rents and taxpayers will pick up the part of the bill through housing benefit?

The investment companies wouldn’t touch anyone not meeting the affordability criteria initially. I’m assuming they would evict rather than be accepting of someone whose circumstances changed and needed housing benefit, although a) I’m not sure how they would do that without the option of S21, and B) That would very much be an individual company strategy set at Board level.

The massive cost to the taxpayer effectively comes from supporting those not able to rent in the private sector and needing support elsewhere. Every single person no longer able to rent in the private sector is going to need support from either the taxpayer, or family, or friends.

It’s all been very predictable and covered on here to the point of irritation to some no doubt. I’ll not go over too much old ground but my one particular bugbear is, as Johnny has alluded to above, we are not going to build our way out of this problem.

Back