• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Charlton 0 v Wolves 2 - not a classic, but a 3 point verdict thread

I share the general amazement that we're still within touching distance of the play-offs, when we've been forced to play two games in the space of three days with absolutely zero central defensive or central midfield cover on the bench. And let alone the fact that the first team featured Doherty, Ebanks-Landell, and Edwards. I can't think of another manager who'd be doing a better job with the collection of shite Morgan, Moxey, and especially Thelwell have lumbered him with.

Division is complete and utter $#@!. That said, I'd still like us to just achieve a high finish and consolidate from a poor season to this point.

We need to make some intelligent purchases and not do stupid $#@! in the transfer window such as letting our best defender go without a suitable replacement.

Important to get to that 50 point mark first and allow us to look towards next season where we hopefully have a new owner and manager in place to mount a serious promotion challenge.

I can't think of another manager who'd be doing a better job with the collection of shite Morgan, Moxey, and especially Thelwell have lumbered him with.

Fourth worst home record in the division, one win all season against a top half team, failed to win more than two in a row all season, lost to two of the bottom three, eyebleedingly awful football for most of the season, I rather think there aren't that many managers bar obvious jokeshop cases who were totally discredited years ago who'd be doing worse.

Fourth worst home record in the division, one win all season against a top half team, failed to win more than two in a row all season, lost to two of the bottom three, eyebleedingly awful football for most of the season, I rather think there aren't that many managers bar obvious jokeshop cases who were totally discredited years ago who'd be doing worse.

Not to mention we had a squad which finished 7th last season, we've regressed massively in terms of how we are playing and the results we are getting.

I share the general amazement that we're still within touching distance of the play-offs, when we've been forced to play two games in the space of three days with absolutely zero central defensive or central midfield cover on the bench. And let alone the fact that the first team featured Doherty, Ebanks-Landell, and Edwards. I can't think of another manager who'd be doing a better job with the collection of $#@!e Morgan, Moxey, and especially Thelwell have lumbered him with.

You need to get a better imagination Mixu. I understand yuo like KJ but that's a bit daft to blame the 2 M's and Thelwell for Jackett serving up the dross we've had to suffer this season and a stretch to far. I think between the 3 of them they've delivered some of the worst transfer windows I have ever witnessed as a Wolves fan and they are not blameless in the quality of the playing staff but they are not responsible for Jackett consistently picking out of form players and playing long ball nonsense.

As a footballing side we really suck at the moment. Any of our counter attacking threat is now non existent due to our pedestrian style and lack of quality passing. Two fortunate wins one of which is against a side playing like it is already doomed with one of the worst assembled wolves teams ever. Did Kenny fill the team sheet via a lotto random picker ? Doherty may have done OK today but he isn't a left back. Oh bollocks I am bored of saying it. We officially suck

Okay, so my version of events.

1st half was the worst half of football I've seen live, for sure. Two teams playing aimless football too scared to take a foothold of the game. As it was, Charlton probably had more possession in our half though we had the best chance, Afobe controlling Batth's knock down well but horribly miscuing his attempt. I thought in the first half McDonald was our best player. He wasn't brilliant but he was the only one not just hammering the ball 'anywhere away from goal' as everyone else was and he stole the ball from their midfield away to lead us on the counter attack. All of our good attacking player really came from Graham, though his delivery in play was too heavy and easy for Henderson to claim. On the opposite side Henry frustrated as he got into some promising positions but made poor decisions. He has good technique but he is no where near clever enough. He runs into blind alleys or spots a pass too late, time for someone else to be given a chance.

Second half they stayed the same, and we came out marginally better quality wise with more tempo to our game. The fans reacted well to this as the atmosphere in the stand became more positive and in turn the team probably improved slightly more again. A lot of this came from Coady winning the ball well in midfield and Afobe occupying the Charlton backline bette. In the first half he was very isolated, but with better support play from the midfield and a bit more fire in his belly he played really well. His play for the goal was fantastic, twisting and turning and then doing well to square the ball rather than shoot from a tight angle. A cracking delivery from Graham led to the second, and there was no coming back.

We still hoofed the ball a terrible amount. What is alarming is how slow we are in the transition from defending to attacking, especially when it breaks to one of our defenders. Iorfa and Doherty barely break into wide positions, EEL and Batth don't split so it leaves little room for a midfielder to drop in either to receive the ball. We were better with this when Charlton committed more players in their attacks so the likes of Henry/Byrne, Coady, Graham and Afobe did fairly well to break though we didn't create as many chances as we could.

Ikeme - 6 - handling was decent but can't really remember any saves of note. Pushed a cross/shot from their attacker into a dangerous position which Edwards saved us in, and his kicking was pretty shocking.

Iorfa - 6 - too casual first half, wish he would be more confident on the ball with space in front because he has the pace and power to cause the opposition problems.
Batth - 6 - Won most of his aerial duels, but once again had the worst pass success (46%) rate out of the outfielders. Even Ebanks-Landell had over 70%.
Ebanks-Landell - 6 - shakey start but better as game went on. Should do better at attacking set pieces as he gets into very good situations.
Doherty - 7 - actually played alright. Links OK with Graham and even blocked a cross at one point.

Coady - 7 - OK in the first half and then helped to drive us forward in the second. How their guy wasn't sent off for an awful challenge on him I don't know. Much better than Saturday but he was the furthest forward of the midfielders really, and like with Edwards, there HAS to be better options than him there
McDonald - 7 - Good, worked very hard and our only player who really tries to make something happen on the ball. Needs more help in my opinion.
Edwards - 5.5 - one goal saving block aside and one decent cross a side the guy did fuck all. But then I have an agenda.

Henry - 5.5 - frustrating. Worked hard and gets into good positions but delivery/end product was poor today and he makes baffling decisions sometimes. But then I have an agenda.
Afobe - 7 - Very good second half. Don't tell me this guy doesn't give a shit. Defenders are shit scared of him, one bad miss and another good effort so should have scored today.
Graham - 8 - goal and assist. Easy our biggest threat and when we have a spell of possession the whole plan is to isolate him with a full back (which we didn't do too badly in the second half).

Subs
Byrne - Nippy and you can tell he is thinking about the game. Crossing needs to improve but I really think he's worth a run of games, he won't get it though
Ojo - Solw contribution was to run into corner flag and dribble straight out for a throw in.

Okay, so my version of events.

1st half was the worst half of football I've seen live, for sure. Two teams playing aimless football too scared to take a foothold of the game. As it was, Charlton probably had more possession in our half though we had the best chance, Afobe controlling Batth's knock down well but horribly miscuing his attempt. I thought in the first half McDonald was our best player. He wasn't brilliant but he was the only one not just hammering the ball 'anywhere away from goal' as everyone else was and he stole the ball from their midfield away to lead us on the counter attack. All of our good attacking player really came from Graham, though his delivery in play was too heavy and easy for Henderson to claim. On the opposite side Henry frustrated as he got into some promising positions but made poor decisions. He has good technique but he is no where near clever enough. He runs into blind alleys or spots a pass too late, time for someone else to be given a chance.

Second half they stayed the same, and we came out marginally better quality wise with more tempo to our game. The fans reacted well to this as the atmosphere in the stand became more positive and in turn the team probably improved slightly more again. A lot of this came from Coady winning the ball well in midfield and Afobe occupying the Charlton backline bette. In the first half he was very isolated, but with better support play from the midfield and a bit more fire in his belly he played really well. His play for the goal was fantastic, twisting and turning and then doing well to square the ball rather than shoot from a tight angle. A cracking delivery from Graham led to the second, and there was no coming back.

We still hoofed the ball a terrible amount. What is alarming is how slow we are in the transition from defending to attacking, especially when it breaks to one of our defenders. Iorfa and Doherty barely break into wide positions, EEL and Batth don't split so it leaves little room for a midfielder to drop in either to receive the ball. We were better with this when Charlton committed more players in their attacks so the likes of Henry/Byrne, Coady, Graham and Afobe did fairly well to break though we didn't create as many chances as we could.

Ikeme - 6 - handling was decent but can't really remember any saves of note. Pushed a cross/shot from their attacker into a dangerous position which Edwards saved us in, and his kicking was pretty shocking.

Iorfa - 6 - too casual first half, wish he would be more confident on the ball with space in front because he has the pace and power to cause the opposition problems.
Batth - 6 - Won most of his aerial duels, but once again had the worst pass success (46%) rate out of the outfielders. Even Ebanks-Landell had over 70%.
Ebanks-Landell - 6 - shakey start but better as game went on. Should do better at attacking set pieces as he gets into very good situations.
Doherty - 7 - actually played alright. Links OK with Graham and even blocked a cross at one point.

Coady - 7 - OK in the first half and then helped to drive us forward in the second. How their guy wasn't sent off for an awful challenge on him I don't know. Much better than Saturday but he was the furthest forward of the midfielders really, and like with Edwards, there HAS to be better options than him there
McDonald - 7 - Good, worked very hard and our only player who really tries to make something happen on the ball. Needs more help in my opinion.
Edwards - 5.5 - one goal saving block aside and one decent cross a side the guy did $#@! all. But then I have an agenda.

Henry - 5.5 - frustrating. Worked hard and gets into good positions but delivery/end product was poor today and he makes baffling decisions sometimes. But then I have an agenda.
Afobe - 7 - Very good second half. Don't tell me this guy doesn't give a $#@!. Defenders are $#@! scared of him, one bad miss and another good effort so should have scored today.
Graham - 8 - goal and assist. Easy our biggest threat and when we have a spell of possession the whole plan is to isolate him with a full back (which we didn't do too badly in the second half).

Subs
Byrne - Nippy and you can tell he is thinking about the game. Crossing needs to improve but I really think he's worth a run of games, he won't get it though
Ojo - Solw contribution was to run into corner flag and dribble straight out for a throw in.

You summarise it well. Our first goal while Afobe did well with a good turn and cross owed much to their defending and some fortunate pin ball off defender and keeper before falling to JG nicely. The second, great corner but own goals are always fortunate. So with 2 goals from three shots on target given their nature there was an element of good fortune VI's a vis we we're fortunate.....

I think we were fortunate in how crap Charlton were (and they are SO bad) but I didn't think we were fortunate to win. On the balance of things we were the better side. Afobe missed an absolute sitter and was unlucky not score in the second half with a good effort. Graham had two good efforts that went just wide.

I think we were fortunate in how crap Charlton were (and they are SO bad) but I didn't think we were fortunate to win. On the balance of things we were the better side. Afobe missed an absolute sitter and was unlucky not score in the second half with a good effort. Graham had two good efforts that went just wide.

Sounds very similar to the MK Dons game. Had we won that, you wouldn't have said we were lucky as such because we had virtually all the territory, we did have some (not many) reasonable chances and they offered next to nothing. However - we didn't score and equally you wouldn't say we were unlucky not to win. Couldn't complain that it finished 0-0, it wasn't like we battered away at them incessantly. We didn't do nearly enough against an awful team. The kind of team we should be steamrollering, like how we thumped Huddersfield in the second half. We didn't try to attack them enough, we didn't play enough football, we wasted tons of time in an ultra-cautious setup when there was no need to. Correct me if I'm wrong but had we ended up 0-0 today I'd suggest you'd have felt the same way as I did after that game.

Basically seems that very little has moved on from that match a month ago which was bloody terrible and endemic of how poorly we're set up. Well it's not so much seems, I know it hasn't moved on.

I definitely cannot count the win vs Reading as any sign of progress and I'm not sure today really marks anything significant either. At best you could say we'll find a way often enough to get past a fair few of the dross teams in the division, and that'll be enough to keep us clear of any serious trouble of relegation.

It sums up pretty well how I feel really Dan, we deserved the win but it wouldn't have been a tragedy to football had we not.

We won't get relegated. This league is so shit and there are so many worse teams than us it's scary. We are six points off the play offs. Incredible. In fact, if we make some half decent signings to add to Zyro and Williamson who knows what could happen. Although under KJ I find it hard to see us taking the game to anyone unless there is a drastic change in approach

If Charlton are playing Goochanejahd as a winger then their manager should be sacked immediately.

Train left Euston at 9:15. Still only as far as Crewe. Mare.

Just back home in time for MOTD. Pretty awesome day all round apart from a first half which rivalled the Reading game for a lack of entertainment and some plank pushing through at the bar and sending someone's pint all over me at half time. Met YoungWolf (who isn't that young!) very briefly before the game started, next time hopefully over a pint or two. It wasn't the best performance I've ever seen and Charlton were truly woeful but I'm happy with the 3 points and there were times in the second half when we were genuinely enjoyable to watch. Doherty had one of his best games in a Wolves shirt IMO, strong in the tackle, dealt with his winger well and stepped in front of a few passes to launch counter attacks. Towards the end of the game with Charlton stretched Coady, Graham, Byrne, Doherty, Iorfa and Afobe all combined well and I thought we looked a real threat. 3-0 would not have flattered us in the end.

Ikeme - 7 - Didn't have much to do in the way of shot stopping but he commended his area well and caught every ball Charlton sent into our box.

Iorfa - 7 - Pretty standard performance from Dom, the type you've come to expect. Utterly dominant defensively but slightly frustrating going forwards. Still doesn't look entirely sure of himself when he's attacking his opposite full back.

Batth - 5.5 - Won the aerial battle with Charlton's enormous lump of a striker Makienok (truly shocking footballer) and put the pressure on the Charlton defender who bundled it into his own net. Seriously lacking in composure though, every time the ball goes near him I worry. His hoofing the ball into touch is getting worse, his ability with the ball at his feet is actually declining week by week. Needs a leader next to him to calm him the fuck down.

EEL - 6 - An absolute bomb scare at the start of the game but settled in well and looked quite composed towards the end. Like Batth, his hoofing is getting worse game by game. He just invites pressure back onto us time and time again, it's so frustrating to watch.

Doherty - 7.5 - Really good game from Doherty. The only defender who looked to actually pass the ball out into the midfield rather than blast it aimlessly forward. Untroubled by Charlton down our left hand side and launched some decent counter attacks in the second half.

Henry - 5 - Sloppy passing, wayward shooting, classic James Henry crossing and some laughable attempts to take players on. So many times our play broke down with Henry. In the first half his touch was so heavy it was unreal. Earns extra points for endeavour and persistence but I was delighted to see Nathan Byrne come on for him.

Coady - 8.5 MOTM - In the first half I thought Coady was one of the only players who looked up for a fight but didn't do great deal apart from a few crunching tackles. In the second half he was excellent. Breaking up play, switching it quickly out to the wings and bursting out from midfield to counter attack and support Benik. He actually did it so often that Kenny had to have a word with him. Can't be having your central midfielders that far up the pitch can you Ken?

McDonald - 6.5 - Thought the game passed him by. I don't know if he's still feeling his ankle injury but he didn't look particularly mobile today. Didn't cover as much ground as he usually does and was very reluctant to join in attacks. When he did get time on the ball his passing was as accurate as ever but a little uninspiring I thought. He didn't have many options until Henry went off I suppose.

Edwards - 4 - Waste of a shirt yet again. He just dawdled along next to Coady & McDonald, neither getting forward to support Benik or helping out much defensively. I'm not buying this 'Duracell Dave', 'does the unnoticed dirty work', 'always gives 110%' bollocks, the guy was just out for a leisurely stroll. His first touch is about as subtle as a battering ram, it just bounces straight off him every time he's passed the ball.

Graham - 8 - Our biggest threat in open play and his deliveries from set pieces are so dangerous. Took his goal well and got another assist, very happy for him. Only complaint would be that he needs to stop trying to take players on outside his own penalty area. Defensively he reminds me a little of Sako when we first signed him. Very naïve.

Afobe - 7.5 - His overall play was excellent but he really needs to be burying that chance in the first half. He worked his arse off yet again under the high ball and when he actually got the chance to show what he could do with the ball at his feet Charlton couldn't get near him. His play in the build up to Graham's goal was superb. He made that chance out of nothing.

Byrne - 7.5 - So exciting to watch. Had his full back on toast from his first touch and was really unlucky not to score after some great work on the edge of the box. He's got a really weird technique for striking the ball and his crosses aren't always great. I'd love to see him & Graham given a run of games opposite each other but I think Henry/Edwards are pretty much guaranteed a place until Zyro comes in.

Ojo - Not on the pitch for long. Dribbled the ball straight out of play once but that was about it. At least he didn't dive again.

Thought the fans were excellent again. Consistently loud in the first half in the face of a mind-numbingly dull game and then roared us forward in the second half. Excellent mental when Graham scored, even if some did get a little too excited...

Had a decent day out in London (can't beat a bit of London Pride from a Fuller's pub) the away pub at Charlton was a bit weird though, the beer garden was literally someone's front garden and the bar staff looked like zombies. One guy actually had dried blood smeared all over his face. Stunningly poor beer but a good sing song before the game with Those were the days/liquidator on the jukebox.

Back