• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-3 Crystal Palace: Verdict Thread

The transfer business in January 2023 is completely out of sink with the article you posted from May 2022 and is completely out of sink from us being frugal and balancing books for FFP.
What happened come September 2022 was they realised they’d left themselves short and kept a manager way out his depth in charge so could see the trap door waiting so panicked and bought in a load of players that kept us up so yep well done on that but it stems from very poor judgement in pre season.
If the club continue mistakes and poor decisions regardless of good intentions you’ve got to question whether they’re good enough to keep running the club, I’ve credited them for their good work but let’s be honest since the summer of 2020 they’ve made some huge errors.
Buying Fabio, Sacking Nuno, replacing with Bruno, allowing Sellars to have such a pivotal role, buying Guedes, persevering with Lage, BS Lop, a no show in this January window.
Season ticket prices aren’t paltry issues especially to the fans they’re extremely important.
All of the above is the way of a football club. Recruitment is always a hit and miss affair. Personally, I think if you look at the whole Fosun reign, we have had far more hits than misses. Turnover of players and staff can be expected and sometimes it brings a change of culture at enormous cost. Of course, using the mistakes to hang them by is also human nature but as Jeff said, "we never lose, we win or we learn."

All part of the process of being in charge of a football club. Or, as he put it more succinctly, we are more corporate.

Bottom line here is that we need to look forward and not back on past mistakes. We will finish 13th or 14th next week and survival was always the goal when the season started.

Season tickets ... sure. But everyone has a choice. You made yours and I'm genuinely sorry you feel the way you do about things at the moment. But I can promise you, from where we were in the 1980's, this is way, way better in every single aspect. If ever there was a time for despair, that was it.

All of the above is the way of a football club. Recruitment is always a hit and miss affair. Personally, I think if you look at the whole Fosun reign, we have had far more hits than misses. Turnover of players and staff can be expected and sometimes it brings a change of culture at enormous cost. Of course, using the mistakes to hang them by is also human nature but as Jeff said, "we never lose, we win or we learn."

All part of the process of being in charge of a football club. Or, as he put it more succinctly, we are more corporate.

Bottom line here is that we need to look forward and not back on past mistakes. We will finish 13th or 14th next week and survival was always the goal when the season started.

Season tickets ... sure. But everyone has a choice. You made yours and I'm genuinely sorry you feel the way you do about things at the moment. But I can promise you, from where we were in the 1980's, this is way, way better in every single aspect. If ever there was a time for despair, that was it.

I’m not in despair it’s football so there’s far more important stuff to despair at. I started going in the late 80’s so endured the false dawns of the 90’s.
Recruitment can be far less risky if due diligence is done on each signing which at times clearly hasn’t been done over the years.
They’re not learning unfortunately and their future plans are not clear.
End of the day what are we as an organisation? What is a main business?

I’m not in despair it’s football so there’s far more important stuff to despair at. I started going in the late 80’s so endured the false dawns of the 90’s.
Recruitment can be far less risky if due diligence is done on each signing which at times clearly hasn’t been done over the years.
They’re not learning unfortunately and their future plans are not clear.
End of the day what are we as an organisation? What is a main business?
Jeff has been pretty clear that the idea is to grow the revenue of the club in various directions to help sustain a Premiership football team and help grow the Fosun Sports brand. He has also said quite clearly it is more corporate than a club but the club element plays an important part.

As for not learning, I disagree. They have clearly learned not to spend money without doing more due diligence on investments. They may also have learned that one agent closely linked to a former manager had a huge influence on our "succesful" years and when that manager was gone, that same agent started to put money first rather then our club. That said, we have done rather well with some of the investments made then. Unfortunately, we then spunked some of that gain up the wall.

It’s simple look after your main product in our case the football then that takes care of the finances, you can look after everything else but it’s pointless if you go down.

We've won 2 games since the end of February. We're bottom 3 in the form table over the last 1/4 of the season and we're shipping goals for fun.

Our form is fucking rancid.
Carve it up how you want, but we've not been been shit for 3 months, as I said we beat Spurs less than 3 months ago, then Brighton, Blades and Fulham over the following 3 weeks.

The very obvious turning point was the Coventry game.

Our league form has been crap since the Villa game, which was the 30th of March, let's not over egg it with talk of "3 months" or "months" its been poor enough without exaggerating. (It's less that 3 months ago that we beat Spurs away for example)

And we know all too well why our form fell off a cliff around that time, having to play the likes of Fraser as a striker!
But that's only part of it, despite the injuries and lack of back up we still scored goals (albeit a lower rate)since 30th March but defensively we've been poor all season, Dawson helped paper over the cracks but even then we weren't that solid. Surely we have to improve over the season defensively to help cover any potential short comings up front.
I like GON and I'm hoping he gets a few decent players in without selling all the family silver in one go so he can have a preseason and kick on, but it's hope rather than expectation. He'll also have another season of experience under his belt.

I'd say we've been poor from the Brentford game onwards which coincided with our forwards getting injured, even in games we've won since then we've not played well. Chelsea is the last time we did which is 3 months ago, Spurs we were effective.

It’s simple look after your main product in our case the football then that takes care of the finances, you can look after everything else but it’s pointless if you go down.
But that's not true. We tried to look after the product by trying to improve the squad by spending money. When we finished 7th, twice, some folks were still not happy and wanted more and more. Fosun have been pretty clear you cannot sustain a football team this way and that you have to build revenue in other areas in order to be able to invest in the team.

Carve it up how you want, but we've not been been shit for 3 months, as I said we beat Spurs less than 3 months ago, then Brighton, Blades and Fulham over the following 3 weeks.

The very obvious turning point was the Coventry game.
The form table isn't lying. We're shit and have been this calendar year.

I thought he looked alright. Moved into space, wanted the ball, some decent touches and wasn't afraid to attack.
He’s also incredibly ‘stocky’. Let’s hope it’s in the Maradona or Tevez vein rather than the Dean Windass one. Either way, he’s obviously been no stranger to a full asado in the Chaco!

I'd say we've been poor from the Brentford game onwards which coincided with our forwards getting injured, even in games we've won since then we've not played well. Chelsea is the last time we did which is 3 months ago, Spurs we were effective.
So we didn't play well against Spurs (da fuck), Brighton or Fulham (definitely in the 2nd half) we were good in the 1st half v West Ham too then fell apart.

Some serious revisionism going on here.

Recent form and results have been poor, I'm not disputing that. But talk of "3 months" is clearly not true.

But that's only part of it, despite the injuries and lack of back up we still scored goals (albeit a lower rate)since 30th March but defensively we've been poor all season, Dawson helped paper over the cracks but even then we weren't that solid. Surely we have to improve over the season defensively to help cover any potential short comings up front.
I like GON and I'm hoping he gets a few decent players in without selling all the family silver in one go so he can have a preseason and kick on, but it's hope rather than expectation. He'll also have another season of experience under his belt.
Dawson papered over the cracks?

He's a first team player?

So we didn't play well against Spurs (da fuck), Brighton or Fulham (definitely in the 2nd half) we were good in the 1st half v West Ham too then fell apart.

Some serious revisionism going on here.

Recent form and results have been poor, I'm not disputing that. But talk of "3 months" is clearly not true.
We didn't play well against Brighton no, Fulham should have been 3 ahead by half time. You are doing that clearly not thing again, when it clearly is, saying that doesn't make you right.

Dawson papered over the cracks?

He's a first team player?
That's the problem, he's the best we've got in the squad, he's a 34 year old journeyman (maybe a bit harsh) and we're relying on him to help us be a bit less shit at the back. We were poor with him guiding the defence and terrible since he got injured.

We're 5-2-9 since February fwiw. In the Prem, that is.

1.06ppg.

We didn't play well against Brighton no, Fulham should have been 3 ahead by half time. You are doing that clearly not thing again, when it clearly is, saying that doesn't make you right.
I literally said we were good in 2nd half for Fulham - we were, despite Neto going off.

Are you referring to the interest rates again? Where you were categorically, unequivocally wrong?

At least this is opinion, that wasn't. It was fact.

I literally said we were good in 2nd half for Fulham - we were, despite Neto going off.

Are you referring to the interest rates again? Where you were categorically, unequivocally wrong?

At least this is opinion, that wasn't. It was fact.
Again you saying it, doesn't make it so.

That's the problem, he's the best we've got in the squad, he's a 34 year old journeyman (maybe a bit harsh) and we're relying on him to help us be a bit less shit at the back. We were poor with him guiding the defence and terrible since he got injured.
So he should be dismissed as "papering over the cracks" it's just weird, he's a first team member of the squad who should be captain (or Lemina)

Back