• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

TWF favourite 3 spectator sports other than football

Micro is a MASSIVE NBA fan. I don't really like NBA very much myself, but when I have been in the States at the right time of year I have thoroughly enjoyed March madness college basketball.

I love my NBA video game but as a spectator sport it leaves me a bit cold, scoring is too frequent.

I think that is my problem with it too.

I love Baseball by the way. I was sorely tempted to put in my top three.

I like both baseball and basketball, and also ice hockey. Baseball is a bit long to watch live in the middle of the night though. My issue with NBA is that often the first three quaters are an irrelevance, with the game only starting in the fourth.

I’ve tried to follow basketball before but the amount of games puts me off, 86 isn’t it? Playing every 2/3 days, I just end up missing so much that I give up

Interesting thread and to see other forum members choices. I thought boxing would have been more popular.

Cricket

Boxing

Darts

Would be interested to see 3 sports you hate or can't stand.

Three I can't stand

Horse Racing
Three Day Eventing / Showjumping
Figure Skating

Is anyone correlating all these answers as I'm quite shocked how unpopular rugby is and how popular NFL is ??

Thanks to everyone who took part. In total 28 different sports received a vote in someone's top 3. I've only counted those posts where a preference was given, I didn't include those who gave a list of lots of sports they like unless a first or second was included beforehand. I've complied a Top 10 by mentions and also by weighted preference - 3pts 1st, 2 2nd etc.

Top 10 by mention
1 Cricket
2 Rugby Union
3 NFL
4 F1
5 Darts
6=Cycling
6= Snooker
8 Tennis
9 Horse Racing
10=Golf
10=Athletics

Top 10 Weighted
1 Cricket
2 Rugby Union
3 NFL
4 F1
5= Cycling
5=Darts
7 Athletics
8 Horse Racing
9 Snooker
10 Tennis

The gap between Cricket and Rugby Union was a lot larger comparably on the weighted measurement, the former got the same score as the next 2 combined. Of the 23 people who voted for it all but 3 selected it in their Top 2, so as 10CC nearly said people either don't like cricket or love it! Only 4 people went for Athletics, but of those 3 were first choice, hence why it features higher on the second list than the first

Thanks for that Tony. The top three are clear, but for the life of me I cannot see the fascination with the NFL. But each to their own of course.

but for the life of me I cannot see the fascination with the NFL..

I tried watching NFL once. Not for me.

Maybe it is better watching it live rather than on TV. Doubt I will ever discover if thats true though

I used to like watching baseball on Channel 5 late at night. Shame they stopped showing it.

F1 and Cycling off the top list have never appealed to me, have never understood the appeal. Cycling especially. A couple of years ago during Tour of Britain, the pub I was running at the time was on the route. We had a decent beer garden at the front and it was packed from around 3 hours before they were due through. When it came to them coming through they whizzed past, quite staggered at first and then the peloton? came through in about 20 seconds and that was it. Not sure what they were all there to see. Wiggins was in the race I think but I couldn't pick him out as they came through.

I can understand the appeal of participating, but not the viewing as you don't see anything, especially live. It's like golf for me, love playing golf but cannot watch it.

I'd say there's a great deal of tension at points in golf, on the final day of a major when the leaderboard is tight and every shot matters, and of course the Ryder Cup continually throws up drama.

I would agree that cycling is rubbish to watch, I know there are a few on here who are well into it and perhaps they understand the nuances more, to someone more casual it's incredibly dull.

Never got on with rugby league at all, NFL is a mystery to me and horse racing just isn't for me - I like a bet, but only on stuff I understand. Take gambling out of it and it doesn't leave you much as far as I can see.

I'd urge anyone who's vaguely into tennis to go and watch some top level stuff live if you can. The speed and athleticism is just incredible, you don't notice that on TV. Forget Wimbledon though as they have the worst ticketing system known to man.

I'd urge anyone who's vaguely into tennis to go and watch some top level stuff live if you can. The speed and athleticism is just incredible, you don't notice that on TV. Forget Wimbledon though as they have the worst ticketing system known to man.

I would second this, and if you can go and see one of the Big 4 in action before they retire then do it, it's an amazing experience.

6 Nations is just about the best few weeks of sporting competition there is.

Agree with the 6 nations I watch every game where possible or highlights if it clashes with Wolves matches. As for club rugby I’ve no interest and find it hard to get into. Golf would be a joint 4th along with cycling, all the majors and the Ryder cup I enjoy but the minor competition or race to Dubai I find boring.

As for Cricket I can see why some don’t like it as it can seem slow and time to get going at times. But as DW said about top level Tennis it’s similar to top level test cricket especially if you sit side on to the wicket you really get a feel for how quick the ball is bowled and how much skill is involved just to get bat on ball.

Back