• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Blame Game

In terms of real, massive fuck ups...

Cardiff away 1st goal...

Any others?

Watford first at home. That should not be going in. No deflection, wasn't unsighted, nowhere near the corner.

Newcastle at home was 2x his fault.

Mooy at Molineux was a howler, both hands to it, horrible.

The Goal Against Dissection Thread.

Less emphasis on blaming individuals.

But ultimately we are blaming them...

I don't pick on players for no reason, never have. I don't think anyone on here does. If it's their fault then it's their fault, being more woke with the title doesn't change the subject matter.

Watford first at home. That should not be going in. No deflection, wasn't unsighted, nowhere near the corner.

The Watford goal is just odd. Can only presume he simply did not see the player shoot so when he saw the ball he was rooted.

The Mooy freeckick is one of those you hate as a keeper. In a position you should save but so easy to get wrong as you aren't in a natural body position.

Newcastle was gambling he shoots across and when he doesnt he is out of shape and the ball could end up anywhere.

I wouldn't call any of his mess ups as major fuck ups....to fall into that category they need be Ruddy v Shrews level. He came close to one v Leicester but recovered well to deny Vardy.

Newcastle was his shite kick in the first place. And tell me you wouldn't be disappointed as a keeper there if you let that in.

I think the total of 8 is too many for a keeper. That's a goal that's your fault every 5 games and that seems a lot. I still think he is slow to get down bottom left and, though its not his game I would like him to dominate his area a bit more. He has been a good signing and had a good year but he still has areas he can work on.

I think the total of 8 is too many for a keeper. That's a goal that's your fault every 5 games and that seems a lot. I still think he is slow to get down bottom left and, though its not his game I would like him to dominate his area a bit more. He has been a good signing and had a good year but he still has areas he can work on.

To be clear we go very much down to the base level here. So it's not "that was your fault". It's mostly "this contributed", unless you have a Doc vs Leicester or Benno vs Watford.

Rui is not solely at fault for 8 goals this season.

Dino Zoff has spoken.

Well if he stands still with his eyes closed it probably doesn’t go in. And from that angle why are you guessing? Sticking your arm out covers your far post.

Newcastle was his shite kick in the first place. And tell me you wouldn't be disappointed as a keeper there if you let that in.
Kick was shit but we let the ball from a throw in go across to the other side and left a player unmarked to stroll in and score.

Dont get me wrong though, all those goals he could and should have been saved and he would have been furious with them but just giving a keepers view point on them. As with everything it's never just black and white (unless it is like Ruddy v Shrews because that is simply amazing, to turn a shit shot going wide into a goal)

(unless it is like Ruddy v Shrews because that is simply amazing, to turn a shit shot going wide into a goal)

I remember we hadn't got a clue for a few seconds what had happened :icon_lol:

(Probably because of the rubbish seats that someone hand picked)

Dino Zoff has spoken.

When Rui is named premier league keeper of the season then I will be happy. Until then he can still improve. I gave Raul stick till December but goals in the bank have him in credit. There wasn't a single game I had Rui as motm iirc.

There wasn't a single game I had Rui as motm iirc.

Probably because we had no game where Rui was the busiest player on the pitch and had to pull off save after save to get us something from the game.

I’d say his brightest weakness is sweeping up stuff. As soon as the Balls over the top he’s looking for his near post instead of coming out. Boly has had numerous goes at him hoping he’d coming and either collect or put it in the stand.

On the flip side, if you go too far the other way then you end of with Lloris. Despite some great saves is always prone to fuck Up sweeping up giving away a goal.

I'd put more money on Lloris fucking up his general goalkeeping duties than coming out sweeping up to be honest, he makes some proper shoddy attempts at saves sometimes either diving bizarrely or just being weak as fuck when he gets to it, think he's as usually as reliable as anyone out there when it he comes out to sweep.

Hugo is weird. Capable of being superb but his mistakes just come out of nowhere.

Raul's goal at Wembley vs Spurs still puzzles me. How the hell has that gone in (insert your own Martin Brennan accent here)

His distribution can be really odd too, always seems very happy to try and play everything out short but I don't think he ever looks that natural in doing so, certainly not when compared to the likes of Ederson or Allison, makes it work more often than not though.

Going to be interesting to see if more teams try to go down the route of better footballing keepers now it's becoming such a focus for the big teams, I've rarely seen either of Ederson or Allison make incredibly saves but they don't tend to be called upon that often and so the other aspects of their game are far more important. You'd think the lesser sides would see sense and prioritise more traditional goalkeeping skills as they'll be called upon to put them to use more often but there are doubtless going to be some with big ideas that think they can try to emulate the likes of City and football their way through games from back to front.

When Rui is named premier league keeper of the season then I will be happy. Until then he can still improve. I gave Raul stick till December but goals in the bank have him in credit. There wasn't a single game I had Rui as motm iirc.

Man City home for me.

Back