• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Season Ticket Discussion 2024/25

Will you renew?

• Total voters
I think this is a decent response but not one that remotely applies to 90% of the match going fan base. You refer to the fans who 'simply want to turn up, watch the game and go home' and this strikes me as being along the same lines as Jeff's 'legacy' fan comment. It misses the mark so much.

I am one of those who turn up, watch the game and go home. That's because I'm a Wolves football team fan and not a cheerleader for the other guff that is forced upon us.
The museum customers that you refer to on matchday are one off 'daytrippers' [currently majority Korean] who add little value beyond their 24 hours in Wolverhampton. They will stop coming when Hwang goes in just the same way that our 'massive' Mexican fan base has evaporated. We have incredibly poor (NB excepted) concourses where staying after the game or arriving before it is not viable, appallingly run, priced and stocked food/drink outlets and barring the youngsters disabled HT games we occasionally put on, some of the worst off field entertainment I've seen.

My reduced interest [I will renew though] isn't solely Fosun related as there are several other factors (VAR included) at play here and this situation is certainly not unique to Wolves, but Fosun really, really do struggle to read the room and that is of their own making.

Last edited:
The engagement was good when we had Dalrymple, he was a bit too popular for Jeff though. He engaged with the fanbase in a way which showed he understood them.

It varies sport by sport but in the US it's as much about the entertainment/ wider day as it is the sporting element. It's just culturally very different and you couldn't replicate it over here. English fans are always going to want to have a few beers in a pub rather than something like a tailgate, which in my experience is cringy and a bit wank, but those who attend love them because they are culturally embedded.

The engagement was good when we had Dalrymple, he was a bit too popular for Jeff though. He engaged with the fanbase in a way which showed his understood them.

It varies sport by sport but in the US it's as much about the entertainment/ wider day as it is the sporting element. It's just culturally very different and you couldn't replicate it over here. English fans are always going to want to have a few beers in a pub than something like a tailgate, which in my experience is cringy and a bit wank, but those who attend love them because they are culturally embedded.
It wasn't just Dalrymple back then though, they seemed to be regularly trying new things to engage with the fans more. Not all of them paid off (Dhol in the South Bank, crappy clappers, shitty DJ sets before games) but even though the ideas weren't for everyone I think the thought was appreciated and showed that they actually cared about the fans to a certain extent.

Now it's just higher prices, worse football, scruffy stadium, no engagement, put up or shut up, legacy fan, soulless bullshit.

I'm just doing a little thing instead of working; comparing costs of Sky Sports subs and season ticket prices to average wages. Do these season ticket prices look about right?

1990 - £100
2000 - £200
2010 - £350
2020 - £500
2024 - £650

I'm just doing a little thing instead of working; comparing costs of Sky Sports subs and season ticket prices to average wages. Do these season ticket prices look about right?

1990 - £100
2000 - £200
2010 - £350
2020 - £500
2024 - £650
Are you just doing Sky? Or all the different Prem providers?

1990 - £100
2000 - £200
2010 - £350
2020 - £500
2024 - £650
It was £350 behind the goals when I first got a season ticket in Nuno's first season

Our first PL season back:

D3U4LEG6JNGZZHPPPW33KVCI2E.jpg

Fuck yeah forgot about the Setanta/ITV/BT/TNT/Amazon bollocks, I'll add them in too
I pay £25 for Sky through Now TV, TNT and Amazon are harder to break down as you get them as part of other subscriptions usually.

Buy I'm guessing £40 a month is pretty much the cost of monthly subscriptions during the season? So about £350-400 a year?

Steve Bull - £474 that season, next season not going to get much if any change out of £800.

Don't have a ST. I am on the waiting list and will probably be offered one, I won't be buying it.

I've only been to three Wolves matches this season which is the fewest I've been to since I was in school and relied on my dad to take me. It's hard to feel all that excited about going to see a team when we are in such an obvious downward trend and the prices keep on rising. Did briefly think the club was moving forwards again in the latter half of last season but it's clear now there is zero ambition at the club except to tread water at best, most likely moving towards a ghost ownership like Swansea.

I'll always come to a few games every season and (hopefully) catch people now and then before or after the match but my enthusiasm for seeing Wolves has dampened a lot since lockdown.

Well, ideally, you'd have more lower price points for admission but to do that in an already full to capacity stadium, you have to expand the stadium. As we know, Fosun have put the team ahead of that and invested in the team. American sport is more inclusive for fans and does the whole fan experience better IMO but there again, it doesn't have the football culture we have.

So I'd look to Yankee land a bit more and see what some of their leading sports teams do to embrace their fans. I know there are sports forums that some Prem. teams go to to learn more about sports marketing and stadium management. Pretty sure we do some of those things but our execution is lacking.

Also, in my dealings with corporate Wolves, I'd say they are really limited in the match day experiences they offer. I'd definitely take a look at that with a view to improvement but again, space is limited. One improvement I definitely would make is the museum experience where those who partake have to leave the museum and enter the stadium with everyone else. That experience is unsatisfactory.

As for fans who simply want to turn up, watch the game and go home, I think you need to look at why they behave that way and why you can't get them in the ground earlier or keep them after. I know the stadium restrictions, Police restrictions and H&S come into play but time and time again I'm just bemused by seeing lines of vehicles queue up to leave Mol. after a game when that 30 or 40 mins sitting in a car could lead to a better experience and more revenue for the club.

I'd also take a hard look at a rewards program that wasn't just based on sales in the club shop or ticket sales. Further, embracing folks with free stuff or experiences that cost little would be something else I'd be looking at.

A lot comes down to marketing and relationships. The club does some stuff really well. In other areas it is lacking. That is why I am asking what you would do because it appears no-one from the club asks the question. That in itself is a disconnect.

How's that for starters?
Apologies as I asked for this then rudely missed it.

A bit like some other replies down the thread, found that interesting and probably not what I was expecting. However, there are some themes there that, if I think about it, I guess they resonate. Much of what follows might sound a bit removed from reality, but if you want to put in their terms and play the game, let's look at it through the PE prism of lifetime value and converting customers to ambassadors. They all love that.

Rewards and loyalty is interesting. I imagine Wolves are no different to other clubs and sports in that I feel there is a massive schism between the hospitality market and the humble joe. I'm the latter. That's not least as I've been on plenty of 'bribery days' in my time across major sports and I hate them, mainly as I love watching sport and not having it interrupted by some clowns talking about some M&A bullsht. However, from time to time I've looked into taking an elderly relative, friend or hec, even the four of us (I speak paying for four humble joe STs) as I know that as a one off it would be really memorable. It's just not a cost I'd go for given I'm already invested in the match. That would be the kind of product that it would be good to see discounted for people who have a great track record of attendance. It would have to be time limited, and plenty wouldn't want it, but if that email landed along the lines of 'Mel Evo, we at Wolves really appreciate.... time / people introduced / whatever' so we'd like to offer you a [significant %] off a basic hospitality package I'd likely respond to that call to action and you'd be buying loyalty cheap.

Overall, when it comes to hospitality I'm no expert. My thinking though would be that, for sure, squeeze the pips on blokes who can't tell the difference between a £5 bottle of Hardy juice and a Ribera Gran Reserva. However, the fudamental draw for them has to be the product on the pitch (see above for my view on their taste). For the parasites out there that means the opposition, so perhaps best not to be budgetting for a season or more against Millwall and Barnsley. It also goes for humble, and not so humble, joes. Take a listen to the three blokey blokesters on the Talking Wolves podcast this week. One of them, for reasons that escape me, appears to be paid by a brewery to go. So he didn't turn up on Saturday cos he couldn't be bothered, he turns to his first guest who also didn't go (he's 'getting into golf' - aside: great target for a marked up bottle of poor wine). The third talking head did go, but had to leave at 75 minutes as he'd 'booked a haircut'. They obviously then proceed to tell the attending fan what to think of Kilman ("harshly judged"), but that's a different matter. Fail to invest in the core product and lose the customers, let alone persuade them to turn up early and buy some Doritos coated in something that looks like it's come out of ICI Billingham.

So my three point proposal would be as follows, none of which will happen, but I'd argue do live in the realm of the possible:

1. Freeze ST prices for the next season or apply a nominal increase. Make a song and dance of listening and responding and making a gesture in trying times and rewarding incredible support. Generate an incredible wave of support washing over all sorts of mismanagement, explain it to the Board as a requirement for customer loyalty based on survey data (they'll have it if they want it). Cost for this is the ops cost for 4 months of a Guedes. Blame that one on some poor punter long given the tin tack.

2. Let people know you share the view that Wolves are not just a club, but a statement of civic pride, therefore you'll be doing some basic maintenenance in the summer so that fans share the pride of their owners on their approach to ground. They don't need to apologise or anything like that, even though it's their doing that Molinuex looks like a giant Mick George has dropped a skip by the ring road, presumably waiting for us to fill it up with Fabio and Goncalo.

3. Get the manager on board with a new deal and back on the the same hymn sheet in a presser. Now I'd rather we appointed someone else (yeah, kneejerk old me), but no doubt this would go down well with most, add an air of stability, stop the bad vibes leaking from the manager - and cost next to rock all as you've lucked out already on someone with a super-low basic who is unlikely to be wanted anywhere else right now.

Clear strategic turnaround FOC.

PS - OK, the hospitality at Espanyol was incredible and making the most of it meant I ran a long way down a gangway to celebrate what turned out to be Neto's clonking miss.

If I could like that twice I would. It, in a nutshell, explains why for the general legacy fan it isn’t that difficult.

If they increase them, fuck all their sly attempts to care - mental health etc. They don't give a flying fuck about fans lets be honest, and their hardships/struggles.

Back