• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Really is something of an anti Fosun / Jeff thing going on here. A lot of supposition and guesswork.
None of us knows what the Summer will bring so why all the negativity around a few remarks made by GON?
Not just the here and now is it though.

It's been building with some shocking stuff from Jeff. (For the record I am more anti Jeff than Fosun).

You can go back to to the signing of Silva or the unnecessary fall out with our best manager for a long time or Jeff's decisions not to replace key positions and promote himself to cover massive roles that frankly he was unqualified to do right up to allowing 2 forwards to leave this January promosing the manager they would be replaced.

Many other things so that's why there is a negative Jeff / Fosun outlook. Its not a reaction to some comments this week

Sure they will make mistakes. They've also done some good business. But no credit for that or for keeping us in the Prem.
I can't tell if I'm missing a joke here, but taking your comment at face value, the communication and expectation management from the club since around the time they sacked Nuno has been abysmal. They've lost the benefit of the doubt.

I think this is where I am at. The problem is, who is better than GON who would be willing to work with the restrictions the clueless board place on the manager? I wouldn't put money on any of the candidates who might be willing to work with Shi being able to do anything better than O'Neil has done.
I love Rob Edwards and he'd come in a heartbeat but I'm not convinced he's an upgrade on O'Neil.

Really is something of an anti Fosun / Jeff thing going on here. A lot of supposition and guesswork.
None of us knows what the Summer will bring so why all the negativity around a few remarks made by GON?
Just look at the stadium. Tells you all you need to know about their feelings towards the club. I dont expect a new 75k stadium but not even a lick of paint?

Well, simply because if something follows a pattern of an episode that played out with the same management not 13 months ago it seems reasonable to suspect we’re in for a repeat. Fair enough to cling to the hope we might not be, but seems a little optimistic!

Not just the here and now is it though.

It's been building with some shocking stuff from Jeff. (For the record I am more anti Jeff than Fosun).

You can go back to to the signing of Silva or the unnecessary fall out with our best manager for a long time or Jeff's decisions not to replace key positions and promote himself to cover massive roles that frankly he was unqualified to do right up to allowing 2 forwards to leave this January promosing the manager they would be replaced.

Many other things so that's why there is a negative Jeff / Fosun outlook. Its not a reaction to some comments this week
Agreed. There have been some mistakes and mixed messages however, Fosun / Jeff were prepared to spend money on Silva. Surely that is to their credit. They were prepared to fund the acquisition of the player. The question needs to be asked who scouted him and who thought he would become a Prem player.

All football clubs make mistakes buying players. They also buy some good players.

Seems to me a lot of blame is being thrown at Jeff when we actually don't know who makes the footballing decisions of who comes in and who goes out. Personally, I think there is input into that side of things by several people and they come to a collective decision. However, that doesn't suit the agenda of blaming Jeff.

By the way, I'm not exonerating him by any means as ultimately he's seen as the top decision maker but I will give him credit for the good things he has done. Seems that also doesn't fit the agenda.

Frankly, I think we should be looking forward and not back. We did what was necessary to avoid a points deduction, we have recruited pretty well in terms of Lemina, Gomes, Cunha and we do have something to look forward to if we have a good Summer. The time for questions, IMO, is when the transfer window closes.

Well, simply because if something follows a pattern of an episode that played out with the same management not 13 months ago it seems reasonable to suspect we’re in for a repeat. Fair enough to cling to the hope we might not be, but seems a little optimistic!
So basically let's crucify him beforehand.

Agreed. There have been some mistakes and mixed messages however, Fosun / Jeff were prepared to spend money on Silva. Surely that is to their credit. They were prepared to fund the acquisition of the player. The question needs to be asked who scouted him and who thought he would become a Prem player.

All football clubs make mistakes buying players. They also buy some good players.

Seems to me a lot of blame is being thrown at Jeff when we actually don't know who makes the footballing decisions of who comes in and who goes out. Personally, I think there is input into that side of things by several people and they come to a collective decision. However, that doesn't suit the agenda of blaming Jeff.

By the way, I'm not exonerating him by any means as ultimately he's seen as the top decision maker but I will give him credit for the good things he has done. Seems that also doesn't fit the agenda.

Frankly, I think we should be looking forward and not back. We did what was necessary to avoid a points deduction, we have recruited pretty well in terms of Lemina, Gomes, Cunha and we do have something to look forward to if we have a good Summer. The time for questions, IMO, is when the transfer window closes.
You bored today or something?

He's contradicted himself dozens of times.
Technically the latest noises don't contradict what Kenny posted. Last Summer we sold players and didn't spend the money, this year we'll sell players and spend some of it. It's just the media outlets span what it meant differently

Shi is the man at the top, of course he is the one who gets the shit.

Shi hasn't done good things for a while now.
You don't think so?

The appointment of GON wasn't a good thing? Staying up and keeping in line with FFP wasn't a good thing?

Sure there have been disappointments along the way but sometimes the top guy has to do what the real owner wants.

So basically let's crucify him beforehand.
Crucify who? I’d be content enough if GON stayed and was backed with the growth investment the team, and facilities, clearly need. I doubt he will though, so wouldn’t be surprised or blame him if he left. It would be a new low point though.

Crucify who? I’d be content enough if GON stayed and was backed with the growth investment the team, and facilities, clearly need. I doubt he will though, so wouldn’t be surprised or blame him if he left. It would be a new low point though.
As I recall, we are crucifying Jeff based on what happened last Summer on the assumption it is going to happen again.

It's OK, we can follow up with "they have a chance to rectify the poor window in January"

'its always hard to get things done/find value in January'

Having kept the purse strings tight, we can have a better window in summer 2025...

Just look at the stadium. Tells you all you need to know about their feelings towards the club. I dont expect a new 75k stadium but not even a lick of paint?
This is the thing people looking on from afar don't see and the most compelling argument that the whole FFP/PSR stuff is a convenient smokescreen. There's no barrier to spending on infrastructure, they don't even invest in the most basic of upkeep. You don't see it on the tele but the disrepair the ground is falling into is a disgrace

'its always hard to get things done/find value in January'

Having kept the purse strings tight, we can have a better window in summer 2025...
They said in the summer of 23 that we needed more time to scout attacking players and we'd be able to pick someone up as a result in January...

This is the thing people looking on from afar don't see and the most compelling argument that the whole FFP/PSR stuff is a convenient smokescreen. There's no barrier to spending on infrastructure, they don't even invest in the most basic of upkeep. You don't see it on the tele but the disrepair the ground is falling into is a disgrace
It wasn't that long ago the temporary stand was condemned and had to be re built due to safety concerns! The fact it got into that situation says it all.

Back