• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 1-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Interesting bit on changing the style of play.

I don't think that's a great surprise: Lopetegui's teams are very possession based (his Sevilla team did a huge number on us with their possession and pressing) whereas what we saw against United was more counter-attacking and putting pressure on. I think how good we are at pressing now is the legacy of Lop's 'era', but the attacking in such large numbers is an O'Neil thing I reckon.

He's almost taken a look at our squad and gone "how can I suit these players" in a McCarthy-esque 2006 way rather than signing a truckload to suit him (as that's not an option).

Yeah, I mentioned either further back in this thread/the O'Neil thread that our biggest problem - since we've been in the Premier League, actually - is that we just cannot take the game to teams. Luton and Sheffield United will likely use low blocks and it'll be interesting to see how we tackle that.

I don't think that's a great surprise: Lopetegui's teams are very possession based (his Sevilla team did a huge number on us with their possession and pressing) whereas what we saw against United was more counter-attacking and putting pressure on. I think how good we are at pressing now is the legacy of Lop's 'era', but the attacking in such large numbers is an O'Neil thing I reckon.

He's almost taken a look at our squad and gone "how can I suit these players" in a McCarthy-esque 2006 way rather than signing a truckload to suit him (as that's not an option).
Based on one game?

If he's changing his style to Bournemouth last season, we'll go down.

Sorry, I will save my opinion on how Wolves are playing until at least 10 games' time, then.

I mean, there's a middle ground there somewhere?

It's a lot of extrapolation when you're drawing wider conclusions from a single game

I don't think I extrapolated necessarily: I said the smart pressing was a Lop thing, and a couple of the squad have come out this week and said they were told by O'Neil to attack in numbers/he mentioned it in his post-match also.

Not saying we'll play this way every game, just that I'm giving credit to both coaches where I believe it's due.

He picked the same team Lopetegui would have done, in the same formation he did and got men into the box in the same way as happened against Rennes. You can speculate with regards to the impact he may or may not have had in the dressing room and how that translated out on the pitch, but tactically that's how we would have played if Lopetegui was there. In the same situation that's how any smart manager would have played it with 2 days preparation

Last edited:
Given that was never how we played under Lopetegui away from home last season, not even one single time, I'm not sure you can proclaim that was how we would have played at all. We might have played that way, but the empirical evidence to this point doesn't support that theory. Obviously with a new season and less pressure it could have changed Lop's thinking but at no point in his managerial career has he been such an attack minded manager. We created more chances in 1 game than 3 or 4 away games last season.

It was pathetic, Lineker limp, Richards the usual goon, Shearer was the only one that got stuck in a bit. Webb just trotted at the usual shit about getting more decisions correct than they used to and Salisbury been one of the best VAR refs, when Shearer pointed out it was him a couple of months ago he responded with even the best make mistakes...prick

What apology. Cunt called check complete because Dawson won the header...

Superbly talked himself out of calling it a foul!
It's as if ten Hag called him halfway through the decision

"Def a foul, will ask you to review this one...no wait...errrrr going to mention a player that has nothing to do with this, ignore the keeper flying into a player...yeah now its no foul. As you were"

Just listening to these mic’d up just proves that these guys know fuck all about the game. What does Sasa not winning the header mean!? If he wasn’t there Onana would have taken out Dawson even worse and even later!!

The Ake one is laughable. They honestly think Leno is being beat by a take header from 12 yards! 2 yards inside the post! “He see’s it the whole way”, “full length dive”, fuck me. He doesn’t dive until after it’s gone past Akanji.

Absolutely the clueless. Hearing them justify their shit decisions at least allows us to see they are incompetent.

Superbly talked himself out of calling it a foul!
It's as if ten Hag called him halfway through the decision

"Def a foul, will ask you to review this one...no wait...errrrr going to mention a player that has nothing to do with this, ignore the keeper flying into a player...yeah now its no foul. As you were"
“It’s late, it’s clumsy”. 30 seconds later “yeah no foul”. Fucking idiots.

Back