• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man City 5-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

Playing out from the back against these wasn't the best idea. One to forget along with the West Ham away game in terms of not being set up particularly well tactically.

Last edited:
More poor defending did reinforce the need for at least one quality CB in the close season. Add in dodgy pens which did not help. City were good but we made them look even better.

As expected. Pawson giving them a head start didn't help.

Ignoring the dodgy pen.

We gave the ball away too often in dangerous positions that gave away 3 goal..

It's not playing out from the back, It's not passing the ball, or a fucking awful 1st touch

City were genuinely quality but the way we approached the game was a joke. Don't know what we thought we were going to gain by playing the way we did.

Well that was something. Clearly you don't go there expecting to get much but you have to do better than that.

First things first, playing out from the back. We. Can. Not. Do. It. Sky put up a stat saying we are literally the worst at it in the entire league. Well, we are. Sa is a fucking joke in possession, Toti will always have that trade off of being fast and strong vs being bobbins on the ball, Captain Wow (more on him later) loves rolling it under his sole and passing it two yards but that's it. If we had good footballers there then fine, do it. We don't. So stop it.

Cunha's worst game in a Wolves shirt by miles and the second goal is all on him.

Thing was with our insistence on playing out...we just continually got penned in, against one of the best teams in the world. Er, maybe change it then lads? But no. Subs were incoherent and why not give Enso/Okoduwa minutes off the bench, why are you bringing Santi on when we're 4-1 down, it's nonsense.

Bouba did ok and so did Joao. Bellegarde was alright off the bench though I don't think I'll ever know what he is. Sarabia missed a sitter. Hwang was his usual mix of inexplicably awful play and yet scoring a goal. We can never ever play RAN at RWB again, it's like sticking Nigel Winterburn there.

On to Kilman...well. He's slow, he's weak, he lets forwards do whatever they want and he's crap on the ball and in the air. What's not to love? Oh and we can never play anything other than 3 CHs if he's here. We absolutely have to move on from him. We won't.

I don't demand we win at Manchester City. I demand we do better than that because there are a lot of errors that primarily are at managerial level.

I don’t think we’re awful but that was a clinic from City. Hwang’s ridiculous finishing ability aside, we didn’t lay a hand on them.

My concerns about Gary are exceptionally vivid at the mo.

Reminded me of the 5-1 loss under Lage. Hopeless. Season feels very similar in general.

Granted, they are a very, very good team.

I think Kilman’s passive nature is indicative of an issue we have as a side. We need a bit more mongrel in us.
The incredible amount of cheap bookings we pick up, often early in the match, that then leaves defenders and midfielders in particular afraid of making another challenge is an issue and has been all season. Playing out from the back and midfielders being caught in a press can often be a cause of this.
The annoyance with these cheap bookings is that they are rarely fouls to stop a goal or breakaway nor do they leave an opponent limping. If you’re going to get booked don’t roll him across your hip, stick your toe hard into his ankle or calf.
I know the game has changed but we get bookings for stupidity and not tactical or debilitating fouls.

Oh and it is absolutely never ever ever a penalty for their first but Attwell has to be Attwell. Not that it mattered in the end.
Not in the end and it won’t be discussed outside of here because of the score line but it was an appalling decision. Gvardiol goes into RAN after he’d already shot well over the bar. As bad as any of the decisions we’ve had against us this season.
If we stop them scoring then we could have grown into the game. As soon as that goes in it’s almost game over.

Hwang has scored 11 league goals and his general play is so bad that I'm still not sure it's worth it which is some going considering how valuable that goal output is.
12 goals.

Hwang isn’t a focal point, he never has been. Playing him as one is doing him less than no favors.

Not sure where you start with that, lose by 2/3 goals well worked goals fair enough but at least 2 goals came from our brain dead idea that we can play out from the back. 2 things always happen we either lose possession and give up a chance/goal or launch it long anyway.
The first penalty is soft as shit and never gets given at the other end, nevertheless not giving just delays the inevitable.
Make them work at least it just seemed a very lazy passive effort from about 7-8 players.
I’m relieved it was only 5-1 could easily have been 7-8.
Playing so many players in odd positions when there’s only 2 players out is a bit odd and over complicated.
These end of season clock offs are real warning sign for the season to come.

We’re awful at playing out from the back but the 2 goals we did concede aren’t really from that. 1 is awful control from Cunha and the other just sloppiness under no pressure

We’re awful at playing out from the back but the 2 goals we did concede aren’t really from that. 1 is awful control from Cunha and the other just sloppiness under no pressure

No but it did mean the entire first half hour was played in our final third

Back