• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coventry (H, FAC) 16/3: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering it's Coventry and they will probably play Simms, who is a very poor striker, I'm comfortable with 4 at the back. And better that than starting Doherty... even if he almost certainly will. If Dawson is fit I'd like to see him start.

One game away from Wembley, quite a weird one. Nowhere near the same level of hype I felt about us playing Man United in 2019.

Normally only have a go on those quizzes from about 08/09, was entering loads of names for the 2-1 loss there in 2009 and couldn't work it out, then see it's not there!

Normally only have a go on those quizzes from about 08/09, was entering loads of names for the 2-1 loss there in 2009 and couldn't work it out, then see it's not there!
Whoops! This is why you should check things, not rely on your memory when you're nearly 43. I had it down as a 0-1 defeat as part of the Nigel Quashie Trilogy and it wasn't.

My apologies, fixed now.

eh? yes, we were 3 at the back for ages before doc came on. as @Lycan mentioned, the start was more semedo/santi/kilman than anything else. And once Toti came on it was absolutely 3atb.

I don't think it was me who said that, I missed the game on Saturday.

Cov are having to play a formation they’re not too comfortable with, too - so I don’t think they’ll be at 100%, but not to the extent where they’re missing their entire front three (plus others), like us.

I know football isn’t played on paper, but we should be far too strong for them. As DW has said, we comfortably beat Albion & they’re above Cov in the table.

I’d go with this:

Sa
Semedo Kilman Santi Toti
Lemina Gomes Doyle
Sarabia Fraser RAN​

RAN can do his fairly fluid/free role & drop in to make a back 5 when we don’t have the ball, but join the front when needed. Lot to ask of him, but he’s been class recently.

It’s great that we have so many players who can be flexible within different roles in the side.

We comfortably beat Brentford not long before they mugged us at Molineux. Need to go out as if we’re facing a top team. Too often teams make a slow start and struggle to get going when the need arises. I’m hopeful we have a group of players and a manager that will ensure that doesn’t happen.

With the whole 3 vs 4 atb.

We didn't really switch to 3 atb until late in the 2nd half against Fulham did we if at all? When Doc came on.

So we obviously adjusted things at half time and upped our tempo which stopped Fulham getting loads of chances and getting round us down the channels.

If we can play more like the 2nd half against Fulham I've got no problem with playing 4 atb against Cov. I think I'd stick Toti at LB though and keep RAN further forwards. We seemed better with Toti on the pitch as he knows how to come in narrower to make another CB when RAN drops back (if needed).
I don’t think it’s as simple as that.

In possession, in our own half, we build with 3 defenders. Neto provided the width on the right in this instance as Semedo was one of 3.

In the opposition half, would have said more of a 4231 in this instance.

Out of possession, often a 442 but when really deep becomes more of a 5 with RAN in his usual role (which he didn’t against Fulham until Toti came on).

It gives our midfielders a lot to do I think, which has its pros and cons. Then you have the quite unusual role Toti plays at times when he’s asked to man mark.

So you can see why it can become quite chaotic but when it works it’s quite fun. When it doesn’t we look a bit of a mess without the ball (first half v Fulham).

OGP and Wolves are asking fans to get into their seats in good time ahead of this weekends all important FA Cup quarter final to be part of an Old Gold and Black stadium display.

Materials have been left on seats by fan volunteers with instructions for fans to pick up. Please do not swap the colour bag on your seat as these form part of a bigger display, and the colours are critical to this. These materials are also souvenirs for you to take home.

Oh just fuck off
grumpy-old-man.gif

• Haha
Reactions: b3h
It’s a load of bollocks. Has been for years. Collages and fan displays are shit.

I really am losing my mind, I have zero recollection of it at the Watford semi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back