• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chasing Europe...........

It was a blessing we didn't make Europe that second year. Firstly none of us would have gone so the excitement would have been limited and secondly we'd have been screwed with the injuries we had in that final Nuno season

Strange, pretty sure you agreed with the club not signing anyone in January?
Understood/understand it more than agree with it.

If we do somehow qualify for Europe that rather changes the calculus, albeit in hindsight.

Our chances of qualifying for Europe would have been increased if we'd have got a couple of players in, and that was why i couldn't/can't understand not taking that gamble, well i say gamble - but it's not as if that player(s) wouldn't have still been here next season and would have been better settled as an asset for the future too.

Our chances of qualifying for Europe would have been increased if we'd have got a couple of players in, and that was why i couldn't/can't understand not taking that gamble, well i say gamble - but it's not as if that player(s) wouldn't have still been here next season and would have been better settled as an asset for the future too.
Just take the slight improvement in our business. Last time we were in with a shout we let one of our main threats leave on a loan deal that had zero benefits to us and replaced him with Chiquinho.
At least this time we didn't weaken the squad.

Baby steps...

This is true!

I think that was lauded by a couple of Wolves fans as good business too.

I doubt anyone at the club expected any chance of getting into Europe this season. So I have no problem with our fiscally prudent January on that basis, and that we weren't going to be relegated.

Part of it, for me, is that we're almost certainly losing Neto in the summer, and I don't think there was ever a chance we'd land a proper replacement for him last month.

I doubt anyone at the club expected any chance of getting into Europe this season.

Did you get this from Jeff's letter when he asked his A.I bot to find a way to say "17th at best this season...probably royally fucked this up so everything crossed"?

We aren't going to land a proper replacement for him in the summer either!
Probably not, but the odds are better, IMV.

Replacing a guy like Pedro is an unenviable task for the scouting team innit.

Probably not, but the odds are better, IMV.

Replacing a guy like Pedro is an unenviable task for the scouting team innit.
It wasn't about replacing Pedro in January anyway. It was about supplementing the existing squad to give us better tactical and fatigue management.

We won’t replace him at all, we’ll limp on as is.

It wasn't about replacing Pedro in January anyway. It was about supplementing the existing squad to give us better tactical and fatigue management.
But if we qualify for Europe it's immediately a bit false, because one of the most important players in getting us there absolutely won't be around to actually compete. So replacing Pedro takes on even greater importance. Outsized importance, I might say.

We won’t replace him at all, we’ll limp on as is.
Yep, i predict we'll bring Chiquinho and Yerson back, maybe sign someone in the Bellegarde sort of value/realm. And then dance around some high profile signings for a few weeks to prick tease the gullible, before saying the selling club pissed us about.

I'm not having any of this 'too early for Europe' lark. Qualifying for European football is basically the pinnacle of what we can achieve, so just get it and enjoy it, win lose or draw. A club outside of the big/rich 7 getting it is basically like winning the league these days.

Yep, i predict we'll bring Chiquinho and Yerson back, maybe sign someone in the Bellegarde sort of value/realm. And then dance around some high profile signings for a few weeks to prick tease the gullible, before saying the selling club pissed us about.
It’ll be exactly this, instead of the Bellegarde signing we’ll just talk up Enso.

It’ll be exactly this, instead of the Bellegarde signing we’ll just talk up Enso.
Well you pair are a bundle of laughs😁
I'm was trying to rev myself up for a Europe experience and now I'm dreading a relegation fight next season.

I'm not having any of this 'too early for Europe' lark. Qualifying for European football is basically the pinnacle of what we can achieve, so just get it and enjoy it, win lose or draw. A club outside of the big/rich 7 getting it is basically like winning the league these days.

Agreed. I enjoyed Conor Coady on The Rest is Football podcast last week when he was talking about our European campaign, saying the squad never felt that the fixtures were unmanageable, and they just loved the fact we were in the Europa League. I'd bloody love it if we could qualify again this season.

It's not too early at all - personally, I think it's a bit of a stretch for us this season but it would be a remarkable achievement if we were to do it.

Back