• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Arsenal: Verdict Thread

9 men was for the last 20 minutes. 10 men I can grant you but we were in front and on top for longer than that.

confused by the arsenal fans reactions.
Pawson was fucking terrible all game. Jinky refers to the saka/boly challenge where arsenal wanted a penalty (it wasn't). Pawson gave a corner yet was perfectly placed to see it came off saka last.
Then there's the corner to us which he gave as a throw in. I mean he's seen that ball go out of play 6-10 yards away from where he directed the throw in to be taken from.
He also made a rod for his own back by the cheap early bookings he gave kilman and moutinho (i think both were cheap).
Also, Artetas substitutions were not good.

9 men was for the last 20 minutes. 10 men I can grant you but we were in front and on top for longer than that.

Yeah fair dos. I deffo don't have the memory to split up the first 10 mins and the next 24!

The clip i saw it was hard to see if he did or didn't, but to be fair WJ couldn't really dive the way he did. Luiz must have clipped his heel, however little it was.
There was sone contact, as they were running just as WJ was about to Shoot, his back 2 studs caught Luiz on the Knee and put him off.

My problem with it is the same issue I had with Citys penalty for a stood on toe. It's difficult to get out the way

If it were Silva running onto that ball last night he wouldn't have gone over and the penalty wouldn't have been given (he'd have tried to shoot and score). WJ played a bit of the dark arts there when he saw the ball getting away from him.
I am not sure he did, he still tried to shoot but the connection made him miss

I'm not convinced it was a total accident. But regardless of that, Jose is running in a straight line, Luiz makes the decision to run across the back of him, surely in that instance the responsibility is on Luiz to ensure there is no contact at all. It's not enough to say he didn't mean to make contact, he had to ensure there was no contact.
Pete, thats a decent point....
It's something that is done in every level of Football, used to do it myself, if i was chasing a defender i would deliberately run accross him from behind in the hop i could catch his foot bring him down and be clean through, never once got away with it, every time I would get pulled up for a trip.

I actually ended up enjoying that - not a sentence I thought I'd be writing at 6.45pm. I was genuinely concerned with how little quality or belief we had until the penalty. Arsenal looked several leagues above them and whilst I have no issues playing against a better side, I do have a problem with the attitudes in some of the players in the first half. Their goal was atrocious from our POV but it was anything but unexpected. The only surprise was that we weren't at least 3 down before Luiz's 'challenge'.

As for that 'challenge', I'm not quite sure what the issue is. Contact is made and whilst I hate to see players make such a meal of such minimal contact, the letter of law states it's a pen and a red card. The officials actually got it right. Whether I think that *SHOULD* be a foul is another matter entirely, it's bonkers that such minimal contact has that outcome. But you know what? Fuck it. We've been on the end of pretty dreadful calls over the past couple of seasons - both bonkers 'laws' that shouldn't be laws, as well as simply dire refereeing errors. I mean FFS how come Traore got booked for a much clearer foul on him at the Emirates merely a few months ago??! About fucking time one of these game changing moments went for us for a change.

Over this awful run, aside from dreadful individual form we have had decisions, deflections, pivotal moments etc all go against us - I've always thought that some good luck was going to be the catalyst for us stopping the rot and I think we finally got some. 9 times out of 10, we go into the dressing room 3 goals down with the game already lost. Quite how we went in level is beyond me.

I do think credit is due to the players for their attitudes after the break. Yes, we were a man up but I think it's important to focus on positives - especially at the moment. Moutinho looked like his old self (what a strike - he's got a foot like a traction engine!), and the whole team looked less scared of the ball.

There's still a lot of work to do and improvements to be made but baby steps etc etc. I would like to see WJ get a bit more help. What he's shown so far is promising but even Raul would have struggled with so little support/service.

The team is MUCH MUCH better than they've shown over the past few games - we haven't just become a rubbish side for no reason, and I have no reason to believe that we can't regain the standards we set ourselves over the past few years. It needs individual and collective improvements throughout. We got that last night after such a dreadful first half display. More to do, but I'll take that as a start.

How far away from playing is Jonny, btw? I think he'll make a huge difference to us - felt really sorry for Max last night. He was as comfortable at LB as I would be at an Inbetweeners Fan Convention hosted by Adrian Chiles.

I'm not convinced it was a total accident. But regardless of that, Jose is running in a straight line, Luiz makes the decision to run across the back of him, surely in that instance the responsibility is on Luiz to ensure there is no contact at all. It's not enough to say he didn't mean to make contact, he had to ensure there was no contact.
I'm completely convinced it was NOT an accident. Luiz is a filthy cunt, as well as a clumsy fool. Deserves a red card for that alone. Ha fucking ha Arsenal. What a time to be a Wolves fan in North London! My views on last night. We were shit first 20, weathered the storm a little, but of course very lucky to be level HT. Moutinho goal deserves to win any match, even one against a bunch of tossers like Arsenal! Nuno brain farted by putting Max at LB. Defence generally, apart from Boly, not good. But we won and that's made one a very happy chappy!

How far away from playing is Jonny, btw? I think he'll make a huge difference to us - felt really sorry for Max last night. He was as comfortable at LB as I would be at an Inbetweeners Fan Convention hosted by Adrian Chiles.
Going off Nuno's comments 2 weeks ago he should be meeting with the surgeon this week to get the thumbs up to return to full training.

It looked to me that Jose was about to pull the trigger with his left foot and that is when his studs hit the knee of Luiz. I don't think he made a meal of it and if he's looking for a penalty when clean through on goal 14 yards out rather than looking to score then I'm a Glaswegian.

I don't get the Arsenal fans losing their shit over the fist bumps. They're literally not allowed to shake hands any more...

no it's them getting mad that he's smiling and being friendly with mou. everyone knows if ref's are nice to someone it means they are biased and were bribed and HATE ARSENAL

Screenshot_20210203-163909.jpg

Suppose I hate Arsenal now then. Good to know.

Also going to assume a few million Mexicans are currently hunting them down....

no it's them getting mad that he's smiling and being friendly with mou. everyone knows if ref's are nice to someone it means they are biased and were bribed and HATE ARSENAL

Imagine if you were a Wolves central defender and smiled with the manager of the opposition having just lost to them.

You'd be worse than scum...

Arsenal fans being cunts well I never... next you’ll say the African fans are being idiots on facebook

Back